Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.32.6 autopilot speed limit change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using "Current speed" for autopilot, the offset choice is now greyed out and I am unable to set AP to go +10 kph above the speed limit. If I use the "Speed Limit" option I can now select an offset, but this will set it so AP will ALWAYS speed up to the speed limit +10, instantly.

Is this a bug or is this a supposed change? Completely ruins AP for me. Most of the time I'd set it while driving the speed limit and then scrolling it to 2 - 4kph above. This is now impossible.

Agree with the previous post. I've had it set to current speed since about a month after delivery back in 2018. I don't remember there ever being an offset off your CURRENT speed and don't quite understand how that would work - always attempting to speed up above the speed that you are currently moving. You could configure an offset off the speed limit that the internal database thought. I mainly gave up on that mode because the speed limit database was and still is a hot mess, at least on roads that I frequent.

Reactions: SuperPigDots
Disagree. I always had it on current speed with 5 km/h offset because when on speed limit you have to wait to engage it for the car to understand the speed limit changed (exiting a town for instance it takes a while) and when you are lower than the desired speet it always accelarates immediately. Putting it on current speed makes the behaviour of the car much more predictable.

I am calling it a bug and I see no reason why it is taken out. And if you don't use the current speed setting (or the offset when you use the setting), you have no reason to argue it does not make sense because you are not using it anyway.

Disagree. I always had it on current speed with 5 km/h offset because when on speed limit you have to wait to engage it for the car to understand the speed limit changed (exiting a town for instance it takes a while) and when you are lower than the desired speet it always accelarates immediately. Putting it on current speed makes the behaviour of the car much more predictable.

I am calling it a bug and I see no reason why it is taken out. And if you don't use the current speed setting (or the offset when you use the setting), you have no reason to argue it does not make sense because you are not using it anyway.
Maybe this was an option in Europe, but I don’t recall ever seeing it in the US. I still don’t get why you would want the car to speed up when engaging AP using the current speed option, but to each his own.

Maybe this was an option in Europe, but I don’t recall ever seeing it in the US. I still don’t get why you would want the car to speed up when engaging AP using the current speed option, but to each his own.
Maybe I don't read this right, but this is what happens: when you press down on the right stalk once, TACC engages with the current speed you're driving. When you press down twice, EAP engages with the speed that the car thinks is the current max speed for the road (indicated in the screen) (+/- an offset). And then the car accelerates to that speed.
It's the same as engaging TACC and then pressing the speedlimit sign on the screen. It then sets the cruisecontrol speed at that speed and accelerates.

The EAP speed setting can be adjusted in the Autopilot screen under "Set Speed", it can be "Speed Limit" or "Current Speed". I described the "Speed Limit" option. When you have "Current Speed" selected, it will engage EAP at the current speed (probably what you want, that's how I had it as well).
But previously, when increasing the EAP speed manually, you could go over it by the set offset. Now you can't anymore. If you want to drive with EAP faster than the speed limit, you need to use the "Speed Limit" setting.
And IMHO that's a bug.

It's these settings:
Current Speed.jpg
Speed Limit.jpg

I have found a work around for the annoying behavior of Set Speed = Speed Limit accelerating to the speed limit (+/- offset).

The key is to double tap the Current Speed icon immediately after entering cruise control (after right stalk quick press down).

For left hand drive vehicles, after right hand pushes right stalk down once, move right hand to screen to double tap the Current Speed icon.
For right hand drive vehicles, after right hand presses right stalk down, use left hand to double tap the Current Speed icon (tap with left thumb with fingers curled behind screen, in position before right stalk quick press down).

Now we have three methods of setting speed to speed limit (+/- offset):

• With setting Set Speed = Speed Limit and right stalk quick press down
  • With setting Set Speed = Current Speed and right stalk press and hold down
  • Tap Speed Limit icon on screen
And only two methods setting speed to current speed are:
  • With setting Set Speed = Current Speed and right stalk quick press down (caveat Autopilot speed throttled to speed limit)
  • (This work around) Setting Set Speed = Speed Limit and right stalk quick press down and immediately double tap Current Speed icon.

Oh my Lord. That's the most complicated simple workaround I've ever seen :) Is this what Elon has done to us? I really can't understand why Tesla don't just put us all out of our misery and make this very simple:

1. I set the parameters which tell the car it can go 8% faster than the speed limit
  2. I engage EAP
  3. EAP recognises the speed limit according to the appropriate road signs (which I know it sees as it displays this on the screen) and (allowing for conditions) sets the max speed accordingly
It can't be that difficult, surely.

EAP recognises the speed limit according to the appropriate road signs (which I know it sees as it displays this on the screen) and (allowing for conditions) sets the max speed accordingly
Then it first has to recognize the correct speed limit. It thinks the speed limit on the industrial estate I work on is 80 km/h, but it is 50 km/h. There is no 50 sign, there is a sign that you enter a town (which implies 50). This has to be data error. No idea where they get their maximum speed information from, but it is wrong. It is correct in OSM and has been since 2017.

I'm very confused. I have Autopilot set to turn on with double pull. In Controls>Autopilot I have Set Speed to Current Speed. If am going 48 on a road with a speed limit of 45 and I do a single pull it keeps the speed at 48. If I do a double pull for Autopilot it reduces the speed to the speed limit of 45. I just want to do something that sets Autopilot and keeps the speed where it currently is. Thanks.

@giorgian00, Various max speeds are in play when using autopilot, depending upon the road in question. On my vehicle (2018 Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot feature and equipped with radar module), the various speed limits while using Autosteer are as follows:
  • 45 mph - if the speed limit is unknown (no speed limit sign shown on display)
  • 90 mph - limited access divided highway
  • "posted speed limit" plus 5 mph - all other situations ("posted speed limit" because the speed limit database is not always accurate)
Does the vehicle know that the speed limit on that road is 45 mph? I'm guessing it doesn't know the speed limit on the street, so you are limited to 45 mph while using Autosteer.

Edit: As you found, I don't believe there is a speed limit when using just TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control), but not Autosteer.

@giorgian00, Various max speeds are in play when using autopilot, depending upon the road in question. On my vehicle (2018 Model 3 with Enhanced Autopilot feature and equipped with radar module), the various speed limits while using Autosteer are as follows:
  • 45 mph - if the speed limit is unknown (no speed limit sign shown on display)
  • 90 mph - limited access divided highway
  • "posted speed limit" plus 5 mph - all other situations ("posted speed limit" because the speed limit database is not always accurate)
Does the vehicle know that the speed limit on that road is 45 mph? I'm guessing it doesn't know the speed limit on the street, so you are limited to 45 mph while using Autosteer.

Edit: As you found, I don't believe there is a speed limit when using just TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control), but not Autosteer.
When I'm on the road with the 45 mph speed limit the speed limit sign does show.