Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Australian Model Y Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm happier now
Yes a lot of people make assumptions about glass and heat and UV without looking at the facts which are already there.

Bottom line is window tinting is about aesthetics and some UVA. However putting tinting to UVA protection is really irrelevant because most people are not in their cars long enough each day. Heat protection?. Well a window tinted car will heat up just as fast as a non tinted car.

Yes a lot of people make assumptions about glass and heat and UV without looking at the facts which are already there.

Bottom line is window tinting is about aesthetics and some UVA. However putting tinting to UVA protection is really irrelevant because most people are not in their cars long enough each day. Heat protection?. Well a window tinted car will heat up just as fast as a non tinted car.
Are you tinting just the front two windows or foregoing it completely?

Further to my post above, I'm happier now after reading this article by a skin doctor Glass in Cars
I personally had my side, rear windows and the small windscreen strip done for heat reduction since the UV protection from factory is already practically as high as possible. Didn't do the roof due to the rumours of it potentially causing glass cracking but do have a sun shade to try if the sun streaming in still feels too hot on my head in summer - I felt that even on a mid-high 20's autumn day test drive so it's a reasonable concern to me.

I'm just one of those people who always has their car windows tinted and always wears sun glasses when outside so it's more for personal preference than necessity on the Tesla than some of the previous cars I've owned.

Reactions: Power Hungry
I personally had my side, rear windows and the small windscreen strip done for heat reduction since the UV protection from factory is already practically as high as possible. Didn't do the roof due to the rumours of it potentially causing glass cracking but do have a sun shade to try if the sun streaming in still feels too hot on my head in summer - I felt that even on a mid-high 20's autumn day test drive so it's a reasonable concern to me.

I'm just one of those people who always has their car windows tinted and always wears sun glasses when outside so it's more for personal preference than necessity on the Tesla than some of the previous cars I've owned.
Did you do the side and rears in clear ceramic tint?

Yeah tail gate and rear windows are just clear tint, front doors are 35% to get them as close to the rear privacy glass as legal. I think the windscreen strip is also 35% but it could be a little bit lighter, can't remember. All ceramic tint.
How does the 35% look compared to the rear. I’ve seen tint meter readings of 24% for the rear. Also, I might have missed it but who did yours and how much $$$ if you don’t mine me asking.

Any recommendations on tinting shops in Sydney around the Eastern Suburbs? I want to use Tint Haus in Thornleigh but they are a bit far away.

Btw I hear you can’t tint the roof on the Tesla. Two reasons, it supposedly is more prone to cracking if you do and it also voids your warranty there. 35%vlt on the fronts and clear film on the rears and boot glass is supposedly the way to go according to what Tint Haus recommends.
How much does that cost?

I put a lite tint on the windshield, that’s where all the heat comes in. No need to tint the roof It does an outstanding job, both heat and UV as it is.

In my case I tinted everything except the roof. I don’t like the limo stuff so I went kind of light.

Do you see any distortion, rainbows, etc in your windscreen tint (especially with polarised glasses)?
I have also been happy with the heat and glare rejection through the roof so far, although I am in winter in the Australian tropics at the moment and summer might be different.
Zero distortion. I did use a higher end shop, it came with a lifetime warranty for distortion. Inside my MY there is a softer feel with a light tint on the windshield. Other than that, most people wouldn’t notice it.

I don‘t wear polarized glasses, I own an aircraft a polarized lens have issues with aircraft instruments.

Reactions: JonDarian
Zero distortion. I did use a higher end shop, it came with a lifetime warranty for distortion. Inside my MY there is a softer feel with a light tint on the windshield. Other than that, most people wouldn’t notice it.

I don‘t wear polarized glasses, I own an aircraft a polarized lens have issues with aircraft instruments.
Do you know the VLT of your light tint? Assuming it’s 70% VLT (most common light tints are around this) and your windscreen transmits naturally at 70%, you would now be at 49% which would be noticeable. Therefore I’m assuming it would be higher (which we don’t seem to have much of in Australia).

Do you know the VLT of your light tint? Assuming it’s 70% VLT (most common light tints are around this) and your windscreen transmits naturally at 70%, you would now be at 49% which would be noticeable. Therefore I’m assuming it would be higher (which we don’t seem to have much of in Australia).
For those who may not know, a larger number is a lighter tint.

Windshield : 50
Front sides: 20
Rear sides: 40 (Remember, they were already dark)
Rear window: 50

As far as the windshield, it's a little hard to tell if it's tinted. Easier if you can compare to another car is parked next to me.

Also, what you see on the outside is not the same as the inside.

This is not my car, but here is a 50 from the outside.
1689381947354.png

Same car, 50 from the inside.
1689382040016.png

A lot of Tesla examples on this page. Model Y Tint Shades | AcutintPRO, the Tesla Model Y Auto Tinting Experts in Upland, CA

How does the 35% look compared to the rear. I’ve seen tint meter readings of 24% for the rear. Also, I might have missed it but who did yours and how much $$$ if you don’t mine me asking.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo but it's close enough that it doesn't annoy me when I see the car from the outside, I'm fairly OCD and it doesn't annoy me, it's never going to be exactly the same if you want to stay legal.

I was in a rush to get it done before going away for the long weekend so just took it to Tint-a-Car since Dentless was booked out for a couple of weeks. $690 for Spectre ceramic tint which may just be rebadged Llumar or MEP film. I'm sure there's better film but it's a lease car so I'm not going to over think it or go over the top, just wanted something to knock the heat down a little bit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gior
Unfortunately I don't have a photo but it's close enough that it doesn't annoy me when I see the car from the outside, I'm fairly OCD and it doesn't annoy me, it's never going to be exactly the same if you want to stay legal.

I was in a rush to get it done before going away for the long weekend so just took it to Tint-a-Car since Dentless was booked out for a couple of weeks. $690 for Spectre ceramic tint which may just be rebadged Llumar or MEP film. I'm sure there's better film but it's a lease car so I'm not going to over think it or go over the top, just wanted something to knock the heat down a little bit.
Mine’s getting tinted today. I wanna stay legal. Noticed the VLT on the front doors already looks about 70%. Looks like I can’t use 35% VLT tint or I’ll be too far under legal limits. Will speak to Detail Lab to see what % tint to put on it to stay legal.