Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Australian Model Y Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that I would start a thread solely for Australian Model Y/3 (Shanghai built cars).

A few questions:

Do all windows need to be tinted or only the front two?

Do we need tint in the rear window?

Do we need tint on the roof?

Please tell us about your tint type etc....

I thought that I would start a thread solely for Australian Model Y/3 (Shanghai built cars).

A few questions:

Do all windows need to be tinted or only the front two?

Do we need tint in the rear window?

Do we need tint on the roof?

Please tell us about your tint type etc....
1. None of them  need to be tined but the back 2 are done for you already.
2. What rear window?
3. Personal choice - I'd do it separately if it annoys you after 6 months

I prefer to have my car windows tinted, with the amount of glass on the Y, I felt the reduction in glare immediately after getting the tints.
I had the front windows and rear window done with a darkest legal ceramic tint, and the rear windows with a clear ceramic film.

1. None of them  need to be tined but the back 2 are done for you already.
2. What rear window?
3. Personal choice - I'd do it separately if it annoys you after 6 months
I had the front windows and rear window done with a darkest legal ceramic tint, and the rear windows with a clear ceramic film.

Well, I spoke with a guy from a tinting place today (owner/operator) and also got some quotes:
  • Apparently, all Aust cars have 99% UV resistant glass all round including the windscreen.
  • He told me Tesla only has coloured rear glass which only darkens the glass for privacy and does not reflect heat which is a problem here. So, it needs tint all round. Can someone confirm this as I thought otherwise...
  • Also, he said that tinting the front windscreen with 95% would be a waste of money as it wouldn't reflect any heat and as above, it is already 99% UV resistant.
I am not sure what the clear ceramic film will do to aid heat rejection based on what I was told today by the guy who owns and operates his tint shop.

There seems to be a bit of misleading information about window tinting and what exactly Tesla are doing to their glass.

Would really appreciate it if someone could clarify.

Can't answer that sorry - but a side note that may be relevant.

I've heard that the A/C in Tesla's is not very power hungry compared to what you'd find with a petrol car. You can use it liberally and obviously via the app before you arrive.

So if it's about having heat reflection, which saves battery due to less A/C, which saves range - it might not be worth the money. Do you have yours already? I'd wait and see 👍

Well, I spoke with a guy from a tinting place today (owner/operator) and also got some quotes:
  • Apparently, all Aust cars have 99% UV resistant glass all round including the windscreen.
  • He told me Tesla only has coloured rear glass which only darkens the glass for privacy and does not reflect heat which is a problem here. So, it needs tint all round. Can someone confirm this as I thought otherwise...
  • Also, he said that tinting the front windscreen with 95% would be a waste of money as it wouldn't reflect any heat and as above, it is already 99% UV resistant.
I am not sure what the clear ceramic film will do to aid heat rejection based on what I was told today by the guy who owns and operates his tint shop.

There seems to be a bit of misleading information about window tinting and what exactly Tesla are doing to their glass.

Would really appreciate it if someone could clarify.
Point 1. yes. Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla and Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Point 2. Personal choice so it is not a "need" but the tint guy is correct.

Point 3. Not sure but i wouldn't put anything on the front and roof.

Also, I just wanted to echo brend0s's point. Yes, you just turn on A/C 5 mins before returning to your vehicle.

Reactions: Maximillan
I prefer to have my car windows tinted, with the amount of glass on the Y, I felt the reduction in glare immediately after getting the tints.
I note you used clear on the rear windows. Are clear ceramic tints good at heat reduction? What about the darker ceramic tints? I was thinking of the 3M Crystalline tints all around including the roof.

I note you used clear on the rear windows. Are clear ceramic tints good at heat reduction? What about the darker ceramic tints? I was thinking of the 3M Crystalline tints all around including the roof.
I find that the ceramic clear tints reject heat on the rear. I decided to go clear on the rear so then I'd get a close match to the front door windows that were tinted.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Any recommendations on tinting shops in Sydney around the Eastern Suburbs? I want to use Tint Haus in Thornleigh but they are a bit far away.

Btw I hear you can’t tint the roof on the Tesla. Two reasons, it supposedly is more prone to cracking if you do and it also voids your warranty there. 35%vlt on the fronts and clear film on the rears and boot glass is supposedly the way to go according to what Tint Haus recommends.

Reactions: catham8
Yes all automotive glass have
99% UVB protection

Laminated glass basically is 98-99% UVA and UVB

Tempered glass -have only 30% UVA protection

If the roof glass is laminated it will have 99% UVA and UVB protection

Re heat rejection. I don't believe that any window tinting rejects heat. In order to reject heat it needs to be very reflective which is illegal. People should realise that the windscreen is letting heat in irrespective of what else is done.

Beware the Tesla glass video above applies to the Model X. Specs are different for M3/Y

Last edited:
If the roof glass is laminated it will have 99% UVA and UVB protection
My wife and I are both elderly and suffering from many years of (stupidity) sun damage. I've been in hospital 4 times to remove skin cancers from my scalp (no I'm not seeking sympathy LOL). However, the big question for us is, just how protected is the glass roof in the MY for UV? I somehow convinced my wife before we ordered the vehicle that it was 99% UV protected. Now I'm not so sure.