Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I forgot about that, although I find using the screen to adjust after tapping the wiper button easy enough. However… I have never (until today) had to adjust the wipers so frequently on a drive. It was raining and had been for a while so plenty of spray and the rain was variable and fine at times. The auto wipers were quite plain and simply not sensitive enough and had to manually turn them on.

Totally inversely on a night drive in pouring rain and heavy spray a few days ago they were totally fine. I can only presume that the combination of darkness and headlights/tail lights of vehicles ahead vs today’s grey sky and dull light meant that the cameras saw more of the dispersed light and so worked better.
I did a short journey tonight. It was dark and pouring with rain when I set off. The wipers came on instantly and were perfect as I drove through the town (rain heavy but not torrential) once I got out of town and no streetlights or much other traffic, they definitely got worse. Much less wiping than before and screen was almost totally obscured before they wiped. A couple of times a car came towards me and the wipers wiped more often but it didn't happen enough to say for sure their lights were making the difference

Ah well.

Did a 2 hour trip along the M6/M58/M61 as well as a bit of Wigwam today during some biblical rain as well as cracking sunshine and actually left the auto wipers on. No dry wipes, but given the rain over the past few weeks that wouldn't be possible anyway...

I don't think they've got better or changed, it's just got more consistently wetter this past month. And the spray issue has been around for as long as the dry wipes and is arguably more dangerous. Some bits of the M6 were, voluntarily by everyone on the road, down to 40mph due to a complete lack of visibility caused by spray and the wipers needed encouraging here too.

So since the latest update, my drivers side wing mirror intermittently does not fold out when I open the car nor does the mirror dip when going into reverse, on the flip side of that when it does eventually dip, it doesn't return to the driving position. Also sentry mode doesn't record any footage even when I've re-formatted the pen drive.

The addition of Podcasts and Apple music is good though.

So since the latest update, my drivers side wing mirror intermittently does not fold out when I open the car nor does the mirror dip when going into reverse, on the flip side of that when it does eventually dip, it doesn't return to the driving position.
Maybe the mirror's controller didn't get programmed properly, in which case reinstalling the software update might fix it. Another hypothesis is a hardware problem that happened about the same time. I'd ask for service but it could be worth diving into the service menu to reinstall the update.

Reactions: boombap
I’m also starting to wonder if the initial situation where the wipers were set to Auto whenever TACC or auto steer were engaged was to help with AI learning. It’s clear that both features do not need a perfectly clear windscreen to work.
I think people give too much of credit to the "AI".
it's like another buzz word like few years ago was blockchain, when companies added blockchain to the company name and value doubled https://www.ccn.com/want-to-boost-your-stock-price-add-blockchain-to-your-name/

Reactions: goRt and Zilla91
I did a short journey tonight. It was dark and pouring with rain when I set off. The wipers came on instantly and were perfect as I drove through the town (rain heavy but not torrential) once I got out of town and no streetlights or much other traffic, they definitely got worse. Much less wiping than before and screen was almost totally obscured before they wiped. A couple of times a car came towards me and the wipers wiped more often but it didn't happen enough to say for sure their lights were making the difference

Ah well.
None of this surprises me.
Have you ever driven at night in light rain with no street lights and had what seems to be a completely clear windscreen and then a car comes the other way and when its headlights hit your windscreen you suddenly realise it is covered in raindrops and you can barely see due to the refraction.
The only thing that confuses me is how Tesla ever thought it was going to work properly.

Reactions: browellm
None of this surprises me.
Have you ever driven at night in light rain with no street lights and had what seems to be a completely clear windscreen and then a car comes the other way and when its headlights hit your windscreen you suddenly realise it is covered in raindrops and you can barely see due to the refraction.
The only thing that confuses me is how Tesla ever thought it was going to work properly.
I agree it's rubbish, but it does seem solvable to me if the system could remember that it's raining. As a human with just eyes I can tell it needs wiping.

it does seem solvable to me if the system could remember that it's raining. As a human with just eyes I can tell it needs wiping.

I would favour "If the driver pushes WIPE button then that's the amount of screen water they like, before a wipe"

Or even "OK, I'll go a bit sooner from now on"

I guess that would need a LONG PUSH / similar to say "That was too soon"

Trying to have Auto Wipers that suits everyone seems like a daft goal to me. "Adapt to user preference" would be better. I, for example, have always hated the point at which auto-wipers choose to switch to double-speed wipe (in all cars I have driven, but only driven Tesla for 8 years, so maybe I would like other recent marques)

A simple old-school timer is useless of course, as it doesn't adjust to rain-rate (even if it did adjust to road-speed). I remember driving a mate's BMW Coupe, yonks and yonks ago. It was chucking it down ... got to a T junction and the wipers stopped (wipe-speed linked to road-speed). I couldn't see a thing when pulling out ...

Exactly my experience over the last few days - the last update has made them less sensitive which I find dangerous. I never used to have much of an issue with dry wiping, but would prefer that than having to manually activate the wipers every 10 seconds or so.
Maybe we should get a "-" nag credit each time we have to override something which should be hands off and clearly making our awareness of the road ahead less safe.

Well the software re-installation didn't work on the mirrors however it has fixed the dash cam and sentry recordings. Service is booked for the 15th.
Don’t tell them you tried to diagnose/fix yourself as they can get very arsy if someone else has tried to investigate things.
They strongly suggested that my front suspension mount issue would not be covered under warranty if I officially mentioned that car had had a pre warranty inspection that spotted and reported the issue to me. No idea what they would have done had the car had an official failure /advisory from an MOT where the part would have been physically checked for movement.

Reactions: Scrounger