Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my thought.
I would welcome some logs or a bit more explanation after each event to review what the car thought it saw.

And if such things continue to happen incorrectly, Tesla should save the cabin clip and allow for an appeal system with manual review to reset the ban counter. I'm not gonna enjoy being penalised incorrectly.
Were there cones? All the tolerances for things related to AP seem to go out the window if there are cones.

If you're using a feature of a car that requires certain hardware in order to function, then intentionally limiting its functionality would definitely be an insurance issue.
If you start to talk about safety features and such, then go to your insurance and claim the third party fault on the scratches you got from the parking sensor error or because tesla Vision Only parking sensors did not work as intended. And tell me your insurance reaction into the safety features implemented in the car...

I mean deeper to forest - more the trees.

you COULD argue that it is tesla's fault for crash as it did not disengage AP immediately once dark image instead of camera feed is detected. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Allowing the cabin camera to be covered - if present and working - seems odd to me. I guess it tracks with an implementation that Tesla might have done under duress from the NHTSA, but it seems like a strangely obvious backdoor to bypass the attentiveness monitoring.

I only fully used the slide on my internal camera cover for one journey. Since then it has been left open apart from a couple of brief occasions when I needed to find some USB music on the screen, maybe 10 seconds maximum. As soon as that was done , I slid it back open again (all of this when using Autopilot on a motorway)

I can't say that I've had any issues keeping the camera unoscured and holding the wheel with very slight tension from my right hand - as I've always done.

Allowing the cabin camera to be covered - if present and working - seems odd to me. I guess it tracks with an implementation that Tesla might have done under duress from the NHTSA, but it seems like a strangely obvious backdoor to bypass the attentiveness monitoring.
Given that's it's just an el cheapo camera and that its ability to detect eye alignemnt and facial features will depend on lighting and various other factors, it would be a bold move by Tesla to only activate AP if it was delivering usable footage 100% of the time.

The bottom line is that the entire AP system as currently conceived and implemented is completely unfit for purpose. All this dicking around with attentiveness monitoring is just sticking plaster to cover up the fact that it's trying to do way more than it's capable of. I just don't understand why they are hell-bent on getting FSD city streets working when it's clear that the tech isn't good enough to do so. Putting the effort into a system that would do reliable and safe lane-keeping on selected roads (i.e. motorways etc) would be way more useful to most drivers. But that would probably require radar/lidar and we all know Tesla's position on that.

Reactions: Durzel
That attentiveness function is beyond frustrating.

Tesla : All functions of the car is controlled via the centre console screen.

Also Tesla : If you look at the centre control screen, even on the motorway, with AP enabled we need to SCREAM at people to pay attention to the road if they look at the screen for 1 second.

I am "This" close to covering that cabin camera, it is beyond annoying and seems to be very "trigger happy"

I am "This" close to covering that cabin camera, it is beyond annoying and seems to be very "trigger happy"

Just do it. A little bit of blue-tack works a treat!

So far as I'm concerned, it's safer covered. I tend to use AP rarely, but one of the times I do is when I need to do something on the screen and want AP to help manage the risk. This change that Tesla have made actually means that I can no longer do that. So, either I increase risk when I use the screen by not using AP, or else I cover the camera and go back to how it's been working for me over the past four and half years.

Has anyone tried driving with their eyes closed?

Adhoc testing seems to show that it hasn’t nagged me when I’ve closed my eyes for a longer time than it’s nagged me for looking sideways or downwards. It would be useful if it spotted when you were sleeping 🤷‍♂️.

I’ve only tried it with my wife in passenger seat and she’s not impressed when I’ve done it so not tried it properly.

Adhoc testing seems to show that it hasn’t nagged me when I’ve closed my eyes for a longer time than it’s nagged me for looking sideways or downwards. It would be useful if it spotted when you were sleeping 🤷‍♂️.

I’ve only tried it with my wife in passenger seat and she’s not impressed when I’ve done it so not tried it properly.
Why not, it worked for Dominic Cummins o_O

Makes sense. I drove with a bit of facing low sun the other day so I had my polarised sunglasses on, and I wasn't nagged once. So I think when the system can't tell, it won't try to alienate you.

Sorted ...

1705149628268.png

• Funny
Reactions: goRt
Just do it. A little bit of blue-tack works a treat!

So far as I'm concerned, it's safer covered. I tend to use AP rarely, but one of the times I do is when I need to do something on the screen and want AP to help manage the risk. This change that Tesla have made actually means that I can no longer do that. So, either I increase risk when I use the screen by not using AP, or else I cover the camera and go back to how it's been working for me over the past four and half years.
I agree, the reason it is only when AP is enabled i take my eyes of the road, maybe to choose a different streaming radio station.

The other day i was driving in increasingly foggy weather so i looked away with AP engaged to enable the light and fog light, the car was instantly screaming at me to look at the road instead of trying to turn on the light.

Later it got so foggy that it first said the AP would limit the CC speed, and at last it flashed the red steering wheel at me and said it would disengage. When it disenaged it said "System error" when it was in fact "Weather too foggy for AP to be on".

I would argue that it was a lot safer for me to let the car drive itself while i looked away for 4 seconds to turn on the light and foglight than to look at the road and not be able to turn them on. (This was before it got to the point where it was too foggy for it to drive at the selected speed.)

Tried closing one eye and keeping the other barely open.

This was on fairly empty motorway and one eye open just to be able to barely see.

Did not give me a warning about anything so it is certainly not "Anti-drowsiness" detection.

If i look at the screen for 1 second on the other hand, it goes bananas...

Reactions: Doudeau
I agree, the reason it is only when AP is enabled i take my eyes of the road, maybe to choose a different streaming radio station.

The other day i was driving in increasingly foggy weather so i looked away with AP engaged to enable the light and fog light, the car was instantly screaming at me to look at the road instead of trying to turn on the light.

Later it got so foggy that it first said the AP would limit the CC speed, and at last it flashed the red steering wheel at me and said it would disengage. When it disenaged it said "System error" when it was in fact "Weather too foggy for AP to be on".

I would argue that it was a lot safer for me to let the car drive itself while i looked away for 4 seconds to turn on the light and foglight than to look at the road and not be able to turn them on. (This was before it got to the point where it was too foggy for it to drive at the selected speed.)
Its not for your safety, it's for Tesla's safety against being sued.

Reactions: M1tch and KennethS