Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Idle on long holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey wonderful people,

I have very recently took MDLY about 2 months ago and planning to go on a long holiday for around 7 weeks, is there anything would I have to do before leaving?

I am planning to charge the night before to 100% and leave it on idle for the mentioned time, we were considering leaving the cable on so that we can charge it regularly but are concerned about heating issues if the charging is constantly plugged on for 7 weeks.

It would be nice to know any to-do's

just leave it charged (up to whatever level) and do the following:
Swtich off Sentry Mode
Do not open app to check the car status.

it will lose nothing in such case.

If you can leave your car plugged - even better. - car will not charge if not needed.

Reactions: boombap
Thank you for your responses,
Reg If I can leave the car kept plugged-in, i can leave it plugged in but am worried on heating issues, is that a concern or I am thinking too much
I have MLY RWD btw, forgot to mention in previous message.

If you have an EV tariff and your charger is on schedule there will only be any heat to the charger plugged in when the car is charging, so most of the time there is no issue with being plugged in. The best analogy is to think of it like a hose - if the charger is on a schedule then when it is in the schedule the tap is on, outside of the schedule the tap is off.

It is also worth noting that the car doesnt tend to charge for the sake of 1 or 2 percent. I have my M3 plugged in all week (I WFH so it only really gets used at the weekend) with it set to 80%, over the course of the week the car drops 1 or 2% but it does not top up those couple of percent every day. Your battery will also last longer if you don't keep checking the app, snd turn off Sentry mode.

hope this helps.

Reg If I can leave the car kept plugged-in, i can leave it plugged in but am worried on heating issues, is that a concern or I am thinking too much
what heating?!

1) if you charge at home (using wall charger) - car does not even heat up battery as the power input is very small compared to the superchargers
2) once car reaches the set charge level it stops charging - 0 power is used. it will just top up 1% or so once it drops below.

Is it a proper EVSE ("charger") or the 3 pin plug ("granny charger").

EVSE fine, granny charger - I probably wouldn't leave it plugged in. Car won't need power anyway if sentry mode is on, car doors closed.

Hey wonderful people,

I have very recently took MDLY about 2 months ago and planning to go on a long holiday for around 7 weeks, is there anything would I have to do before leaving?

I am planning to charge the night before to 100% and leave it on idle for the mentioned time, we were considering leaving the cable on so that we can charge it regularly but are concerned about heating issues if the charging is constantly plugged on for 7 weeks.

It would be nice to know any to-do's
I went to visit family for three weeks; I changed my 22 MYP to 50% and left it plugged; When I got back it was it at around 45% 👍🏻

If unplugged it will lose maybe 1% or so a week so long as sentry is off, you don’t keep using the app, and you’ve got no rogue third party software talking to the car.

But plugged in at 50-60% would be my choice for 7 weeks. It won’t charge unless it needs to so no worry about over heating, and if you combine the two points, it’s adding something like 1 kWh a week to keep it topped up which it will do in a short charge periodically.

If the worst happens the big battery should go into self preservation mode and the 12v battery will probably go flat, both can be dealt with although a bit annoying. If you decide not to plug in, leave the car where you can just in case and easy access to the frunk.

I’ve only left mine (MY) for two weeks and it lost about 6 miles but I did open the app quite regularly.

Reactions: Msicario
Is it a proper EVSE ("charger") or the 3 pin plug ("granny charger").

EVSE fine, granny charger - I probably wouldn't leave it plugged in. Car won't need power anyway if sentry mode is on, car doors closed.

The portable UMC (for 3 pin plug etc) is a proper EVSE charge point. In fact the charger electronics for ac charging are part of the car ... the EVSE is basically a safety switch providing the mains current to the car.

The portable UMC (for 3 pin plug etc)
s a proper EVSE charge point. In fact the charger electronics for ac charging are part of the car ... the EVSE is basically a safety switch providing the mains current to the car.
Some garage power points are a potential weakness especially if old under sustained use, not UMC.

Reactions: Adopado