Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 HW4 Model X Front Door Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They claimed a software update will switch to using the cameras to provide same functionality. We all wait eagerly!
Yes, I know. They’ve been saying this for a while now. Tesla is trying to use vision instead with everything. Obviously, that’s not working as well as before with sensors. It’ll probably be a work in progress forever, until sensors come back.
Auto wipers don’t work well. Proximity detection doesn’t work well. Door opening doesn’t work well. I can’t trust FSD if Tesla can’t even get these simpler things to properly work.

Reviving this thread a bit as I have some insight...

I took my 2023 MXP in for service specifically for these annoying door issues. This is my first X, so I was thinking it was a defect or service problem.

Depending on who I speak with in service, I get a different answer. Basically though what it comes down to (their words, not mine) was that a specific hardware change was made to the door motor hardware (of course they never mention USS or the lack thereof) that no longer swings the door out as much due to inclement weather. I'm sure what they mean to say is that the doors were probably hitting other cars / objects, etc so now they are more risk averse but with the cost of being annoying to an owner / operator.

They were even able to point out in the online user manual for these cars that there was an addendum made that the front doors don't open as far as the older ones did. I'll attach that here for reference.

Thing is, my passenger door is a bit more loose. It opens with the same initial gap (10 or so inches) but the slightest touch will cause it to start swinging open where if you don't grab it fast enough, it may hit an obstacle. I then mentioned this to them and said that why doesn't it work the same as the driver side door and they were uncertain.

I went to a showroom model X, and the passenger door worked exactly the same as the driver door. 10" opening, then the rest with a ton of force and no auto swinging. So, my car stayed there for further analysis.

The manager called me today, saying that the showroom car worked different because it's in "show room mode" (sensors are disabled, his words). Plausible so then I asked if they had another 2023 X in stock and sure enough, they do. Now they are saying that the new car (non showroom) also works like the show room car that isn't in show room mode (lol ok) and that now the can't duplicate the issue on my passenger door.

So, i'm going to go there (again) today to demonstrate this to the manager as I keep getting different service advisors that frankly aren't very good at details. Like I ask them to repeat it back to me and they neglect to mention which door is having issues, etc.

While I think the USS delete is probably a part of the issue, I do think the door hardware was changed as well and it's made ownership of this X a bit tedious. To prevent it from hitting other cars. Fine? But my passenger door doesn't do that. It loves to swing right into my 95' 993 in the garage if the wife / kids aren't careful.

The original design / intent was for a driver to walk up to the car, the door opens automatically (keeping in mind it's surroundings and adjusting) so the driver can GET in without touching it, and then hit the brake where it closes without touching it. It's now regressed tot he point where you have to touch, pull, wait completely defeating the entire original purpose of motorizing the doors. This was convenience and now it's the exact reverse. The force required to open the doors to get in the car feels unnatural and like something is going to break.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    84 KB · Views: 40
Something IS going to break - it will be inside the door and the service center will be happy to "upgrade" your car and fix the failed door module for the low cost of $1000 each. Because that is PRECISELY what happened to me.

There was never a need for automation in the doors. THEY ARE DOORS. The automation is also STUPID because if they try to auto-open and there is ice inside the door from snow accumulation... IT CAN BREAK YOUR WINDOWS because of the dumb design of frameless windows that need to move every time to open the doors!

There are a LOT of design choices on these cars that only seem to work well in northern California's climate.

• Disagree
Reactions: acpd and explosive0
The original design / intent was for a driver to walk up to the car, the door opens automatically (keeping in mind it's surroundings and adjusting) so the driver can GET in without touching it, and then hit the brake where it closes without touching it. It's now regressed tot he point where you have to touch, pull, wait completely defeating the entire original purpose of motorizing the doors. This was convenience and now it's the exact reverse. The force required to open the doors to get in the car feels unnatural and like something is going to break.

I couldn't agree more. The new park assist using Vision gives me hope that we'll be able to get the old functionality back, but as of right now it honestly feels completely broken. I am absolutely confident that the motors in the doors will give in after a while due to the resistance they provide when you have to manually open the door.

I have a new Model X on order which has an expected delivery time between the end of February - April. I scheduled a demo drive to test the doors and a few other features. There are things I like about the newer models and some things I don't like. The doors not open fully and having to fight with them at times to open them the rest of the way might be a dealbreaker for me. This is a nuisance. I'm considering canceling my reservation order and keep my current Model X which has the door sensors and open fully.

Reactions: towndrunk
I have a new Model X on order which has an expected delivery time between the end of February - April. I scheduled a demo drive to test the doors and a few other features. There are things I like about the newer models and some things I don't like. The doors not open fully and having to fight with them at times to open them the rest of the way might be a dealbreaker for me. This is a nuisance. I'm considering canceling my reservation order and keep my current Model X which has the door sensors and open fully.
Yeah, not gonna lie, when we got our Model X about 6 months ago the doors got a "meh, whatever, should be a fix coming in via software updates soon, we'll deal with it for now" type of response from me. Now it's become truly annoying. We're in a region that gets really cold winters, when I run up to the car when it's below zero, I don't want to have to fight the door for a few seconds before jumping in to get warm. Also annoying having to explain it to passengers who aren't familiar with the vehicle and getting confused looks from them wondering why a vehicle like this would do such a thing.

Yeah, not gonna lie, when we got our Model X about 6 months ago the doors got a "meh, whatever, should be a fix coming in via software updates soon, we'll deal with it for now" type of response from me. Now it's become truly annoying. We're in a region that gets really cold winters, when I run up to the car when it's below zero, I don't want to have to fight the door for a few seconds before jumping in to get warm. Also annoying having to explain it to passengers who aren't familiar with the vehicle and getting confused looks from them wondering why a vehicle like this would do such a thing.
Tesla sales team said the doors open fully if you have your phone as a phone key or keyfob. I wasn't able to test that because the demo car was not setup to my phone. Everyone who I've spoken to so far say the doors only open a few inches and you have to manually open them the rest of the way. At times the motor fights with you and is quite annoying.

Reactions: geordi
Having the older car with ultrasonic sensors... My car fights me sometimes and other times it does not. This started with a software update late last year, so they can un-fork this with another software update. IF they have any incentive.

Tesla sales team said the doors open fully if you have your phone as a phone key or keyfob. I wasn't able to test that because the demo car was not setup to my phone. Everyone who I've spoken to so far say the doors only open a few inches and you have to manually open them the rest of the way. At times the motor fights with you and is quite annoying.
Well I'm here to tell you that isn't the case, just to confirm what you've heard from others. I have our phones (wife and mine) set as phone keys and I've been carrying a fully linked up keyfob for the past couple of weeks as well.

Reactions: geordi and cdf3
Categorically false. You'll be fighting the doors until a software update fixes it.

Categorically false. You'll be fighting the doors until a software update fixes it.
Correct. In fact most of the service advisors make up all sorts of stories to explain it. Like I said above they told me the showroom demo car acted different in "showroom mode" as the sensors are disabled. It wasn't until I got the manager out that he explained to me it was because of wind that could catch the door. The truth is that they were swinging into other cars...

I believe the newer models have different door hardware that allow controlling the breaking a bit more aggressively - otherwise they would have made this parity with all of the X's. I don't think it has anything to do with the sensors. But, maybe. I say this because the USS were not placed anywhere near the front doors.

I’m supposed to pick up my vehicle on February 11th. But based on my prior experience accepting a Tesla that had issues upon delivery, I’m thinking about walking away unless the front door problems are resolved.

I previously owned a 2022 MXLR but had repeated issues with the FWDs so returned the vehicle after taking it to the SC five times to get the doors fixed. It was a huge inconvenience. However, we also purchased a 2022 Model S and besides the peeling yoke steering wheel, it drives like a dream. I want Tesla to succeed. I genuine love the mission and vision of the company. But the build quality issues really have to improve and the only way we can hold the company accountable is by voting with our wallets 🤷🏿‍♂️

The front door issues are not related to build quality per se, but to lack of replacement software to compensate for the removal of ultrasonic sensors. I guess this is sort of a quality issue, but perhaps their attempt to do so has resulted in sub-par results in real-world testing with doors hitting walls and objects so my guess it that they have tried but not managed to release the new software. There's no evidence or transparency on this to claim they are not trying.

Reactions: eobaah