Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Performance or 2020 Model S Long Range Plus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to buy my first EV. Should I get a 2023 M3P or a 2020 SLR+?
The Model S has 30k miles. I will get FSD for whichever one I get (if that matters).
Which one should I go with?
(I don't really need any performance, and I will use this car as my daily driver.

The Model S has 30k miles. I will get FSD for whichever one I get (if that matters).
(I don't really need any performance, and I will use this car as my daily driver.
Test drive both models.

I prefer my Model S to a Model 3 but you (and many others) may think different.

Reactions: Adam3
Upvote 0
I think the Model S will have a much smoother ride since it has hydraulic suspension, and will be just as quick as the Model 3P. I like having the display in front of me and not having to look to the side for basic information. The MS will have the nice big nav screen. I'm not sure if the sound system is better in an S, but I would think so. The S will be a better road trip car.

Upvote 0
Model S all the way. Also performance def matters if you're considering an M3P lol. In my opinion the m3 is just too too minimalistic. No gauge cluster, a lot more model 3s on the road than S for obvious reasons even though there's a lot of model S's out there, much smaller, not much prestige or presence on the road again it's my opinion but I think it's downright the ugliest tesla there is lol. A high end Model S LR+ is just so much better all around and you can prob get better or similar pricing to a new M3. Also Longer range, better looks, more space, better ride quality/build quality although not by much close to the same speed. Up to you man.

I would take it a step further and consider a 2017-2020 P100D or Performance Model. The 2017-2018s are cheaper than a M3P you'll likely get ventilated seats as well which is definitely game changer, a much faster car as well and it's about the same range.

Upvote 0
I would look at how I would plan to drive it. If in a tight city environment, and you like point and shoot, I'd go with the M3P. On the highway a lot, S all the way. Keep in mind that they removed parking sensors from the 2023 (aka USS).

I own a 3 and an S. Don't buy FSD. Just rent it. It is so over hyped I'd never lay out the cash for it up front as nothing from Tesla that I am aware of depreciates faster the FSD. Don't tie up your money in it.

As mentioned ventilated seats are missing from the 3, and the interior is more austere. You can spend some $$$ and get aftermarket seat covers for the 3 that are ventilated and cooled. I am considering that as I spend most of my time driving in the South. I get swamp butt all the time in the 3 in the hot weather. I added a little mini display in the front of my 3 and that helps with getting key information where I need it.

Upvote 0
if you are buying the vehicle based on price, range, I would recommend the Model Y. I got a 2018 X 100d, and 2023 Model 3 Perf. if I did not have the X or at the time when I buy my M3P, I would have bought the Model Y Performance. in your case You would want a vehicle with the most range, and I would stay away from FSD, I got that on my X, never use it, I only trust it like 75%.. too scare how it would act on Local Roads.

Upvote 0

These cars are not anywhere near the same, so I am not sure why people continuously lump them together as if they are in the same category (other than "EV").

Its like asking " Should I buy a new BMW 3 series or a Used 7 series?" The cars drive completely different, are different sizes, and are in different price brackets.

Drive them, you will then know which you want.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Upvote 0
Model S all the way. Also performance def matters if you're considering an M3P lol. In my opinion the m3 is just too too minimalistic. No gauge cluster, a lot more model 3s on the road than S for obvious reasons even though there's a lot of model S's out there, much smaller, not much prestige or presence on the road again it's my opinion but I think it's downright the ugliest tesla there is lol. A high end Model S LR+ is just so much better all around and you can prob get better or similar pricing to a new M3. Also Longer range, better looks, more space, better ride quality/build quality although not by much close to the same speed. Up to you man.

I would take it a step further and consider a 2017-2020 P100D or Performance Model. The 2017-2018s are cheaper than a M3P you'll likely get ventilated seats as well which is definitely game changer, a much faster car as well and it's about the same range.
If you do that, get a Raven mid 2019 model Model S. Upgraded suspension and other upgrades.

• Disagree
Reactions: racerx2005
Upvote 0
These cars are not anywhere near the same, so I am not sure why people continuously lump them together as if they are in the same category (other than "EV").

Its like asking " Should I buy a new BMW 3 series or a Used 7 series?" The cars drive completely different, are different sizes, and are in different price brackets.

Drive them, you will then know which you want.
true, but when you can get a lightly used MS for the same price as a new M3P it is a fair question for a noob....

but like you said, drive them then you'll know what you want.

Upvote 0
These people:

I had them on a Subie and they were well made and held up great. They even have a set of installers they partner with if you don't want to do it yourself. I will likely get them for my 3 pretty soon. Not cheap but worth it and it will cure my biggest gripe of the 3 in the summer.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind 2020 S is a “legacy” car and missing a lot of newer features. No phone as key. No live access sentry mode cameras. No blind spot repeater cameras. No auto seat heaters. No light show.
Phone as key is GREAT!
Love Sentry Mode!
Much prefer Horizontal (motorized) Screen
Display in back is a little gimmicky?
I really like the yoke, it’s different and really prefer it now
The dual phone charging tray is in a perfect spot for my phone and my wife’s
Door pockets are nice (my 2015 didn’t have them)
It’s nice driving around and not having the old model for a change. Not a big deal and sometimes I miss the OG car but the new one just feels so fresh

Upvote 0