Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 Standard range RWD have comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw reports on the Y forum that all the Performance Y's actually had the new suspension so just wondering about the 2023 SR RWD Model 3?

Do they have matrix headlights?

Last edited:
@m888x Model 3 has long had better ride quality and overall better suspension tuning than Model Y. When I test drove MYLR M3LR M3P in fall 2021, both the Model 3's rode much better than the MYLR (even M3P with the super low profile tires). Both 3's were also more fun to drive around turns, as is usually the case comparing a sedan to a crossover.

I haven't driven an LFP RWD Model 3, but I'd bet it rides at least as good as the new "comfort" Model Y suspension, if not better.

Last I knew every Model 3 came with matrix headlights, except when Tesla temporarily ran out of the parts and suddenly they didn't. 😄 I haven't kept up with matrix headlight availability though. Unfortunately that shortage incident made it clear Tesla doesn't promise that any given car will have them.

Yeah that would be the comparison I've been searching for. I'd also like to know if the LFP rwd m3 did get the upgraded suspension components or not.
Model 3 and Y have different suspensions, whether the Model Y gets newer suspension components have no bearing on the Model 3.

I rented a MYLR a bit before I bought my Model 3 RWD and the MYLR was stiffer and more bouncy/less composed over bumps.

Reactions: tm1v2
I got a 2023 RWD in December and checked the suspension parts against the parts catalog and saw that there are no new suspension parts for the 3 and mine is using the same parts that have been in use for a while. Elon tweeted that 3 / Y got upgraded comfort suspension in October, but as far as everyone can tell, he misspoke and meant to just say Y.

@m888x Model 3 has long had better ride quality and overall better suspension tuning than Model Y. When I test drove MYLR M3LR M3P in fall 2021, both the Model 3's rode much better than the MYLR (even M3P with the super low profile tires). Both 3's were also more fun to drive around turns, as is usually the case comparing a sedan to a crossover.

I haven't driven an LFP RWD Model 3, but I'd bet it rides at least as good as the new "comfort" Model Y suspension, if not better.

Last I knew every Model 3 came with matrix headlights, except when Tesla temporarily ran out of the parts and suddenly they didn't. 😄 I haven't kept up with matrix headlight availability though. Unfortunately that shortage incident made it clear Tesla doesn't promise that any given car will have them.
My friend went from a 2018 M3 to a 2021 MY and he said the MY had a much better ride, in his opinion.

Well the Model 3 did get new suspension as well according to that tweet but I think it may have said just LR.
I got a 2023 RWD in December and checked the suspension parts against the parts catalog and saw that there are no new suspension parts for the 3 and mine is using the same parts that have been in use for a while. Elon tweeted that 3 / Y got upgraded comfort suspension in October, but as far as everyone can tell, he misspoke and meant to just say Y.

That's very interesting. I was looking for evidence and what you say seems to be more factual than what these reviews and only 1 video I found state to me.

Unfortunate for me not to know.

In my research a few reviews did definitely claim going from even a 21-22 to a 23 Model 3 that it did improve. And this video:

My friend went from a 2018 M3 to a 2021 MY and he said the MY had a much better ride, in his opinion.
Yes, because that's comparing 2018 to 2021. The Model 3 has also been softened up over the years. Older ones were firmer.

Edit: My personal experience driving pre-2021 Model 3 is limited. I can say firsthand though an early 2018 RWD is easily firmer than a 2021 M3P or M3LR AWD.

From what I've gathered on these forums, apparently the first major softening of the Model 3 suspension happened sometime in 2018. Possibly before the AWD Model 3 was launched. The second major softening happened around beginning of 2021, such that most or all 2021 model year got it.

I don't know if that 2018 Model 3 I've driven (briefly) is from before or after the mid-2018 softening. Either way, there's very consistent reports that 2021+ Model 3 are significantly softer than 2020 and earlier, and my limited experience matches that.

Last edited:
I've had lots of conflicting reports calling service technicians, etc. One said the 1000 lbs extra on the Y might help it's ride but I know it's just the new suspension parts.

One said she had a 22 M3 LR like me and drove a 23 and said she didn't notice any difference.

I will be driving a LFP soon myself and report back on that one.

Reactions: tm1v2
I had a 2020 M3LR loaner recently, built Dec 2019. It had the standard 18" wheels and Tesla-spec 235/35R18 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires.

It's been almost a year since I swapped out my stock suspension, but from memory I'm pretty sure my Oct 2021 M3P rode smoother when on stock suspension with 18" wheels, at least over mild imperfections.

Honestly I was fine with the 2020 M3LR ride. It wasn't great by any means but I'm more into sporty feel than soft floaty ride anyways. I think the 2020 M3LR suspension felt sportier and handled somewhat better than my 2021 M3P's stock suspension which really wasn't sporty. (It's difficult to judge handling on a car saddled with MXM4 tires. 😅)

The 2020 M3LR must ride better than the 2021 MYLR I once tested because I couldn't stand that MYLR's ride.

Reactions: m888x
Drove the 23' M3 LFP and it rode I believe exactly the same as my 22' M3 LR. Drove mine there and then test drove it. Then drove off on same roads. So, for me, I know the LFP rides exactly the same. I also forgot to write when I was calling service tech's that they said the parts for M3 did appear to be unchanged as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: XPsionic and tm1v2
If anyone can comment, how much different does the suspension feel with the various wheels sizes avalible? 18" > 19" > 20"

Is it even noticeable? And if so where specifically?
@rotarypower101 Changing wheel size / tire sidewall is noticeable, but it doesn't change the feeling of the suspension. That's separate. Neither is a substitute for the other. I've changed out both on my car, first wheel downsizing, then suspension/coilovers.

Going from 235/35R20 to 245/45R18 while still on stock suspension, the extra sidewall smoothed out the small stuff, and took the edge off the ride, but it didn't transform the ride at all. The car still essentially rode the same, except with less harshness. Noticeable improvement? Definitely. Transformative? No. The ride was overall smoother but the stock suspension (2021 M3P) still struggled for composure over rough stuff, same as before.

@rotarypower101 Changing wheel size / tire sidewall is noticeable, but it doesn't change the feeling of the suspension. That's separate. Neither is a substitute for the other. I've changed out both on my car, first wheel downsizing, then suspension/coilovers.

Going from 235/35R20 to 245/45R18 while still on stock suspension, the extra sidewall smoothed out the small stuff, and took the edge off the ride, but it didn't transform the ride at all. The car still essentially rode the same, except with less harshness. Noticeable improvement? Definitely. Transformative? No. The ride was overall smoother but the stock suspension (2021 M3P) still struggled for composure over rough stuff, same as before.
Thank you for commenting on that detail, looking for information on wheel size "feel" and hard to find someone explicitly making that comparison and distinction that has physically tried and tested wheel sizes on these and given feedback clearly.

If anyone has looked into the topic, also searching for differences in Model 3 suspension between the different years and trims for those years if anyone possibly knows that , or has found a thread detailing those changes and differences that exist?

Last edited:
This is my first Tesla - 23 M3RWD, and I can tell you my VW Jetta GLI rode a lot smoother on the stock adjustable suspension set to sport setting (hardest).
My wife and some other family members don't like it too much, but hey, it's my car, so tough luck.

Model 3 and Y have different suspensions, whether the Model Y gets newer suspension components have no bearing on the Model 3.

I rented a MYLR a bit before I bought my Model 3 RWD and the MYLR was stiffer and more bouncy/less composed over bumps.
I thought the MY LR was also a stiffer ride than the RWD M3 during our test drives. Now we have RWD of Y and 3…they are pretty close for basic neighborhood duty, close enough that I’d have just gone with a second RWD Y, knowing what I know now.