Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't trust anything that a Tesla employee tells you. It is always qualified and lying is frequent. As to USS and parking help, I have a new 2023 model Y. It is a real pain to not have park assist. Definitely slows things down when getting into and out of parking spaces. However, personally I would not cancel an order for this. The bigger issue for me is that blind spot monitoring is now completely nonexistent. It was always not that great looking at the synthetic vehicles on the screen versus mirror based systems but I made it work. I would look at center screen then mirror then lane change. The alternative of the camera view on turn signal on does not work for me. If you are going 80 mph on a 5 lane freeway it is just way too distracting to figure out what you are looking at. The elimination of USS and no radar has therefore resulted in zero blind spot monitoring which means having to turn your head each time you make a lane change. Really slows down lane change reaction time and makes them dangerous. Tesla tech told me there have been lots of crashes as a result. $20,000 cars have blind spot detection as standard. It is a deal breaker for me to not have it and would cause me to cancel the order if I didn't already have possession of the car. Noone told me this feature would be missing from my vehicle.
Wow that's pretty huge. Gonna just stick with my Model 3 I think or buy an older Model y.

I ordered a Model Y LR, currently I have a 2023 Model 3 LR and it has USS which I use to help park. My question is will Tesla replace this feature or should I just cancel my order? Seems like a big step backward to give up this feature. If the 2023 model Y comes with HD Radar and it can replace this feature that will also be acceptable. I spoke with a Tesla employee at the service center and they said it will but I don't trust that much.
Hahaha. It’s like asking a McDonalds employee if they can tell you when the McRib will be back.

They know less than you and will certainly lose this job if they say anything negative.

Reactions: Big Kenny
Wow that's pretty huge. Gonna just stick with my Model 3 I think or buy an older Model y.
It’s also not true, as far as I can tell. I never had a Tesla with USS so I don’t know what the function used to be like but vehicles on screen DEFINITELY go red if they move in to my blind spot.

This guy wasn’t able to answer a simple question about CarPlay without going on a rabid rant about random other things Tesla so I’m not sure he’s a trustworthy source.

And anyone who is crashing their car due to USS or automatic blind spot monitoring being missing should not be on the road anyway. These are assistance functions, they’re not an excuse to be an incompetent driver.

I ordered a Model Y LR, currently I have a 2023 Model 3 LR and it has USS which I use to help park. My question is will Tesla replace this feature or should I just cancel my order? Seems like a big step backward to give up this feature. If the 2023 model Y comes with HD Radar and it can replace this feature that will also be acceptable. I spoke with a Tesla employee at the service center and they said it will but I don't trust that much.
Personally I would cancel the order, or at least keep deferring delivery. Tesla have proven themselves to be completely untrustworthy when it comes to future feature commitments, delivery of what you order, pricing, incentives etc. I have a horrible feeling that non-USS cars will never get the features we have paid for enabled, and Tesla will go back to a hardware solution, leaving these cars with huge depreciation. Wish I had cancelled / deferred mine…

Since my last post I stupidly brushed against the rubber seal on my garage door frame. Totally my fault while going in on an angle. One Tesla collision center has quoted me $3000.00 to repair the scrape. The sensors on my 2022 would have at least beeped! I am still getting body shop quotes!
Perhaps in the next update Elon will make the car fart when you hit something

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon73
You have favorite destinations/friend addresses on your maps app or contacts on your phone. CarPlay lets you choose one and go. Apple dynamic traffic routing in maps app is better than Tesla’s. Or you have an option which one to use. In my BMW I go back and forth between CarPlay and BMW nav app. They have different strengths. The days of tesla arrogance are gone. BMW “autopilot” is now superior to tesla. Let alone the BIG FAIL AND PENDING LITIGATION from the elimination of park assist and blind spot monitoring. This is coming from a new 2023 Y
Can someone PLEASE tell me what the big deal is with CarpPlay????? I had CarPlay on my B9 Audi A4 and it was great for YouTube Music integration, maps, calendar stuff, etc. It was great when car infotainment systems were crap, but most are getting pretty good now...

With my Tesla, I still get navigation with built-in Supercharger routing, my calendar events automatically sync up with navigation and plot a course, and I can send map directions directly from my iPhone to the Tesla. My contacts are synced. The only real downside is that I don't have native YouTube Music, although the car automatically starts the app from my phone over Bluetooth when I get in the car anyway, so there's that.

I guess I just don't understand all the fuss about not having CarPlay. It'd be one thing if Tesla's features sucked, but it seems to work pretty well.
The biggest strength to carplay now that Tesla has Apple Music is the App Store. You can do things from ordering Dunkin to listening to Siriusxm all with siri voice control. Apple navigation is also superior as it shows light cameras, accidents, patrol cars and lets you notify contacts of your route. It also brings up the busines contact info and lets you call them for reservations, etc. finally it syncs with Apple Watch and prompts you via haptic impulses of turns, etc.

Personally I would cancel the order, or at least keep deferring delivery. Tesla have proven themselves to be completely untrustworthy when it comes to future feature commitments, delivery of what you order, pricing, incentives etc. I have a horrible feeling that non-USS cars will never get the features we have paid for enabled, and Tesla will go back to a hardware solution, leaving these cars with huge depreciation. Wish I had cancelled / deferred mine…
Yeah I just got my vin was hoping for a longer wait

Big issue with lack of USS and software upgrade for "Tesla Vision" that I haven't seen anyone talking about. I have a 2023 Model Y. No Park assist, no chimes, distance etc. However, I was told that the blind spot detection as shown in the pictures of cars around yours in the center screen was operable. I noted that cars that were near my front door in the adjacent lane showed as being behind my car so it would be OK to turn into lane. Also cars that were in the adjacent lane but behind my car by a few feet did not show up at all in the center blind spot detection system. I recalibrated car and behavior did not change at all. I ordered service today. the service advisor said that the lack of the tesla vision software has made the blindspot detection via the enter console pics of adjacent cars inoperable and dangerous. He said he was aware of a number of collisions as a result. this is getting ridiculous. Looking into making a claim against Tesla for false advertising.
This seems like a huge issue

Reactions: Mike7564
I took delivery of 2023 MY in late December, so no ultrasound. My car doesn't show distance to objects when trying to park, but I found some articles in late 2022 that distance measurements for parking on vehicles with cameras is either here or coming. Did that ever materialize? How do I see it?

Reactions: bhzmark
I took delivery of 2023 MY in late December, so no ultrasound. My car doesn't show distance to objects when trying to park, but I found some articles in late 2022 that distance measurements for parking on vehicles with cameras is either here or coming. Did that ever materialize? How do I see it?
Tesla blog is clear that the missing features are temporary and will be restored.

You'll know when you see the distance measurement shows up as if you got sonars.

Reactions: Falcon73
It’s also not true, as far as I can tell. I never had a Tesla with USS so I don’t know what the function used to be like but vehicles on screen DEFINITELY go red if they move in to my blind spot.

This guy wasn’t able to answer a simple question about CarPlay without going on a rabid rant about random other things Tesla so I’m not sure he’s a trustworthy source.

And anyone who is crashing their car due to USS or automatic blind spot monitoring being missing should not be on the road anyway. These are assistance functions, they’re not an excuse to be an incompetent driver.
I guess I am “this guy”. No, on 2023 model y, cars in your blind spot do not turn red on the screen and they are not properly represented as to their location relative to your vehicle.

I guess I am “this guy”. No, on 2023 model y, cars in your blind spot do not turn red on the screen and they are not properly represented as to their location relative to your vehicle.
They only turn red if your turn signal is on and it knows your about to change lanes

I wouldn't trust anything that a Tesla employee tells you. It is always qualified and lying is frequent. As to USS and parking help, I have a new 2023 model Y. It is a real pain to not have park assist. Definitely slows things down when getting into and out of parking spaces. However, personally I would not cancel an order for this. The bigger issue for me is that blind spot monitoring is now completely nonexistent. It was always not that great looking at the synthetic vehicles on the screen versus mirror based systems but I made it work. I would look at center screen then mirror then lane change. The alternative of the camera view on turn signal on does not work for me. If you are going 80 mph on a 5 lane freeway it is just way too distracting to figure out what you are looking at. The elimination of USS and no radar has therefore resulted in zero blind spot monitoring which means having to turn your head each time you make a lane change. Really slows down lane change reaction time and makes them dangerous. Tesla tech told me there have been lots of crashes as a result. $20,000 cars have blind spot detection as standard. It is a deal breaker for me to not have it and would cause me to cancel the order if I didn't already have possession of the car. Noone told me this feature would be missing from my vehicle.
100% agree. Hoping they can add in mirror BLS warning lights

I have a 23 coming. Other than parking chime, what else is there, I honestly don't care much for the chime. And backing up, there's a camera that i think works better than the chime. And why can Tesla vision works on autopilot but not for parking? Both require depth perception, right?

Reactions: Mullermn
I have a 23 coming. Other than parking chime, what else is there, I honestly don't care much for the chime. And backing up, there's a camera that i think works better than the chime. And why can Tesla vision works on autopilot but not for parking? Both require depth perception, right?
Forget the camera…you will get very bored of the camera blocked/blinded warnings every time it rains/snows/is dark/you are on a road without a white lane painted down your left hand side/it’s cold/it’s icy/you’ve got a speck of dirt on your car, etc.

You will also realise that for parking you need one eye each for your left or right mirrors to prevent your alloys getting trashed, plus one for the rear (ideally X-ray so you can see through the high hatch), plus ESP for everything else going on around.

Alternatively a nice little bing/beep would help @Telsa.

Personally I would cancel or defer taking your car until Tesla deliver on the “coming soon” features…which I am more convinced will not be possible without hardware assistance. Tesla do not have a good track record on “coming soon”.

Reactions: mylapore and E46M3
Currently, you get nothing. So, you have to use cameras and mirrors backing up and there is nothing going forward.

Yes, the plan is to use the cameras and depth perception exactly like Autopilot, but for close distances at slow speed. No reason they cannot do it; they just pulled the hardware before they had the alternative software ready.

Reactions: Falcon73 and E46M3