Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had our Tesla Y performance delivered last month and so disappointed. After waiting 7 months for it the Sonar was disabled so no parking sensors which fine if it had a front camera for parking but of course it doesn’t! Didn’t realise it doesn’t support Apple CarPlay which nowadays is a standard in most new cars especially high end which with this price tag I would say is the case! Voice recognition don’t get me started, simple commands like call xxxx comes up with navigate to, most frustrating. My Kia e-Niro Interim car was better on tech than this. Tesla need to up their game or expect another shitty quarter of sales
Did you not do any research before ordering the car? It’s been well established that Tesla’s do not have car play. This has been the case since car play first came out and has never been included in any previous or current Tesla.
So being upset that you waited for 7 months to get the car and are surprised that car play isn’t part of its features is interesting. Tesla surprising everyone with the removal of USS is understandable - especially if this change occurred after you ordered. But car play being a big bummer? I don’t understand why everyone is so crazy about car play. When it works it’s nice. But I find the native Tesla UI much better. Voice commands work. The issues that you are having are no doubt a “user error” situation. Also, thinking that a Niro is better tech wise won’t win you many friends on TMC.

Reactions: bhzmark

I don't see how vision can ever exceed USS performance or even match it in all common situations.
I don't believe Vision can. I feel duped. I should have kept my Prius. It was working fine, and I would have saved $50k trading it in for my 2023 model Y.

While I keep wining about no sensors I crashed into the left side of my garage while I was daydreaming! Nice talk! So I went to a Tesla accredited body shop and he wanted $3000.00 to remove the fender (unnecessary)as it was just a surface scrape. I went to two other reputable body shops and they both were under $750.00 to fix the scratch and repaint the area feathering it into the other paint. I purchased a front left fender flare on Ebay for $65.00. We have to be careful that Tesla approved body shops don't take advantage of us. Please see the photo.

Attachments

• E4B5456A-E7A0-456B-A6F1-9804383F0A78_1_105_c.jpeg
    E4B5456A-E7A0-456B-A6F1-9804383F0A78_1_105_c.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 2,665
  • Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
I don't think there has been any update on this. Given the limitations of the cameras' blind spots based on where they are mounted, I am not very hopeful for a solution that will reach parity with USS for distance measurement and object detection. But providing a working solution for non USS vehicles will be a good first step.

Reactions: adsheff
Will Tesla install proximity sensors on our 2023 Model Y's. There is a lot of talk about the front and rear cameras doing the job "sometime" in the future but has this been tested. I own two Model Y's. A 2022 with sensors and a 2023 without the sensors. The 2023 Tesla Model Y, without the sensors, is an accident waiting to happen. I know older cars from yesteryear never had them but this is 2023! Tesla needs to send through the update withe the camera proximity to give us something to work with.

Since my last post I stupidly brushed against the rubber seal on my garage door frame. Totally my fault while going in on an angle. One Tesla collision center has quoted me $3000.00 to repair the scrape. The sensors on my 2022 would have at least beeped! I am still getting body shop quotes!

Attachments

• 3A4610ED-205F-4696-A6B1-FF4FA22BB805.jpeg
    3A4610ED-205F-4696-A6B1-FF4FA22BB805.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Seems rubbish based upon release notes and others experience
On 2022..44.25.3 and still no function to detect objects. This E. Musk improvisation for a function that exists in cars for decade is stupid. I would not fly in any of his spaceships. This guy is certainly not worth billions if he cannot even make sure that a replacement function will exist before removing radar and sensors. Plain Stupid

Good news everyone! Tesla Xmas release notes indicate that the next software update will include enhanced light shows and enhanced farting. So this is how their software engineers are using their skills. This should appease those of you whining about Enhanced Autopilot not working and bumping into things when parking,,, NOT, Sad that there is nothing about USS replacement software.
Hahaha!

Reactions: adsheff
Hi All,

want to open this thread for owner who had 2023 model Y with no ultrasonic sensor (USS).
Now car does not have park assist to show the distance in garage.

News saying we will be waiting on a Tesla Vision solution. Let's collect information together in this thread and share with others.
Big issue with lack of USS and software upgrade for "Tesla Vision" that I haven't seen anyone talking about. I have a 2023 Model Y. No Park assist, no chimes, distance etc. However, I was told that the blind spot detection as shown in the pictures of cars around yours in the center screen was operable. I noted that cars that were near my front door in the adjacent lane showed as being behind my car so it would be OK to turn into lane. Also cars that were in the adjacent lane but behind my car by a few feet did not show up at all in the center blind spot detection system. I recalibrated car and behavior did not change at all. I ordered service today. the service advisor said that the lack of the tesla vision software has made the blindspot detection via the enter console pics of adjacent cars inoperable and dangerous. He said he was aware of a number of collisions as a result. this is getting ridiculous. Looking into making a claim against Tesla for false advertising.

Had our Tesla Y performance delivered last month and so disappointed. After waiting 7 months for it the Sonar was disabled so no parking sensors which fine if it had a front camera for parking but of course it doesn’t! Didn’t realise it doesn’t support Apple CarPlay which nowadays is a standard in most new cars especially high end which with this price tag I would say is the case! Voice recognition don’t get me started, simple commands like call xxxx comes up with navigate to, most frustrating. My Kia e-Niro Interim car was better on tech than this. Tesla need to up their game or expect another shitty quarter of sales

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the big deal is with CarpPlay????? I had CarPlay on my B9 Audi A4 and it was great for YouTube Music integration, maps, calendar stuff, etc. It was great when car infotainment systems were crap, but most are getting pretty good now...

With my Tesla, I still get navigation with built-in Supercharger routing, my calendar events automatically sync up with navigation and plot a course, and I can send map directions directly from my iPhone to the Tesla. My contacts are synced. The only real downside is that I don't have native YouTube Music, although the car automatically starts the app from my phone over Bluetooth when I get in the car anyway, so there's that.

I guess I just don't understand all the fuss about not having CarPlay. It'd be one thing if Tesla's features sucked, but it seems to work pretty well.

Reactions: Mullermn
Can someone PLEASE tell me what the big deal is with CarpPlay????? I had CarPlay on my B9 Audi A4 and it was great for YouTube Music integration, maps, calendar stuff, etc. It was great when car infotainment systems were crap, but most are getting pretty good now...

With my Tesla, I still get navigation with built-in Supercharger routing, my calendar events automatically sync up with navigation and plot a course, and I can send map directions directly from my iPhone to the Tesla. My contacts are synced. The only real downside is that I don't have native YouTube Music, although the car automatically starts the app from my phone over Bluetooth when I get in the car anyway, so there's that.

I guess I just don't understand all the fuss about not having CarPlay. It'd be one thing if Tesla's features sucked, but it seems to work pretty well.
You have favorite destinations/friend addresses on your maps app or contacts on your phone. CarPlay let’s you choose one and go. Apple dynamic traffic routing in maps app is better than Tesla’s. Or you have an option which one to use. In my BMW I go back and forth between CarPlay and BMW nav app. They have different strengths. The days of tesla arrogance are gone. BMW “autopilot” is now superior to tesla. Let alone the BIG FAIL AND PENDING LITIGATION from the elimination of park assist and blind spot monitoring. This is coming from a new 2023 Y owner.

You have favorite destinations/friend addresses on your maps app or contacts on your phone. CarPlay let’s you choose one and go. Apple dynamic traffic routing in maps app is better than Tesla’s. Or you have an option which one to use. In my BMW I go back and forth between CarPlay and BMW nav app. They have different strengths. The days of tesla arrogance are gone. BMW “autopilot” is now superior to tesla. Let alone the BIG FAIL AND PENDING LITIGATION from the elimination of park assist and blind spot monitoring. This is coming from a new 2023 Y owner.
You know that you can have favorites in the Tesla navigation as well, right? And even if you don't, all you have to do is pull up a contact or favorite destination in Maps and hit "Send to Tesla app" with an iPhone. Boom, done and it will automatically plot a course. You don't even have to type anything in.

I've never found apple maps to be better than google - maybe worth giving it a shot again...it used to take me on routes that were significantly longer than Google's.

I've just accepted that blindspot/parking functionality is not going to work. I have an old Prius so it's not really much of a downgrade. Hope they can eventually figure it out using the cameras...

I ordered a Model Y LR, currently I have a 2023 Model 3 LR and it has USS which I use to help park. My question is will Tesla replace this feature or should I just cancel my order? Seems like a big step backward to give up this feature. If the 2023 model Y comes with HD Radar and it can replace this feature that will also be acceptable. I spoke with a Tesla employee at the service center and they said it will but I don't trust that much.

You know that you can have favorites in the Tesla navigation as well, right? And even if you don't, all you have to do is pull up a contact or favorite destination in Maps and hit "Send to Tesla app" with an iPhone. Boom, done and it will automatically plot a course. You don't even have to type anything in.
yes, but multiple steps to get to the same endpoint. less efficient.

I ordered a Model Y LR, currently I have a 2023 Model 3 LR and it has USS which I use to help park. My question is will Tesla replace this feature or should I just cancel my order? Seems like a big step backward to give up this feature. If the 2023 model Y comes with HD Radar and it can replace this feature that will also be acceptable. I spoke with a Tesla employee at the service center and they said it will but I don't trust that much.
I wouldn't trust anything that a Tesla employee tells you. It is always qualified and lying is frequent. As to USS and parking help, I have a new 2023 model Y. It is a real pain to not have park assist. Definitely slows things down when getting into and out of parking spaces. However, personally I would not cancel an order for this. The bigger issue for me is that blind spot monitoring is now completely nonexistent. It was always not that great looking at the synthetic vehicles on the screen versus mirror based systems but I made it work. I would look at center screen then mirror then lane change. The alternative of the camera view on turn signal on does not work for me. If you are going 80 mph on a 5 lane freeway it is just way too distracting to figure out what you are looking at. The elimination of USS and no radar has therefore resulted in zero blind spot monitoring which means having to turn your head each time you make a lane change. Really slows down lane change reaction time and makes them dangerous. Tesla tech told me there have been lots of crashes as a result. $20,000 cars have blind spot detection as standard. It is a deal breaker for me to not have it and would cause me to cancel the order if I didn't already have possession of the car. Noone told me this feature would be missing from my vehicle.

I've never found apple maps to be better than google - maybe worth giving it a shot again...it used to take me on routes that were significantly longer than Google's.

I've just accepted that blindspot/parking functionality is not going to work. I have an old Prius so it's not really much of a downgrade. Hope they can eventually figure it out using the cameras...
depends on the city/region. sometimes apple maps better than google and sometimes vice versa. carplay interface is easier to follow when viewing and selecting alternative routes.