Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to ask how everyone feels about the new Vision Park Assist? So far I have not had good luck. When it was raining it would not work due to cameras covered with rain. When it’s not raining the accuracy of the measurements it displays are way off.

Reactions: Flemingo
I wasn't expect much but it's an OK start as far as I am concerned. It seems to overestimate distances but I'd rather that than underestimate. I wish there was an option to snooze warning chimes - I know you can turn them off but then you have to remember to enable again later. Like for when you are in a drive through and it's beeping every time you pull forward a little.

I just picked up the car a few days ago and I don't seem to have this option ... where can i activate this function?

Just covering all bases here - but you will need to configure Wifi on your new Tesla to receive OTA updates. Check out the FAQ here for more info if you haven't already done this: Software Updates | Tesla Support

I did this day one of delivery and on day three the updated software became available for download and installation in the app, but as others have said - YMMV.

Regarding Park Assist - I've had a relatively good experience so far. We park in our garage - so Park Assist tends to freak out when approaching the garage entryway in reverse - beeping/warning it's little heart away so to speak - then calms down a bit once that threshold has crossed. Park Assist seems to overestimate the distance to objects - but as others have said I'd rather this than the alternative - especially for my wife who will be parking our MY in the garage on a day to day basis.

Tesla vision fail. I was at least 8 inches from the object
PXL_20230405_121100313.jpg

Or worse, it tells you that you are half a meter away and you're really 6", like it did to me this morning. It just can't be trusted right now. Cameras are clean. Maybe vision needs glasses?

DCF7-E2-C7-450-B-435-C-8-D14-429-E70-B65-BCA.jpg

2-ECC4-C2-C-4371-4616-97-D8-AEBE201-D70-F2.jpg
Mine does the same at times.

In my garage it states I'm 50 cm (almost 2 feet) away whilst I'm 10cm away (1/3 foot). Out driving my wife said it estimated 40cm to spare when she in fact touched a low wall at the grocery store parking with the front bumper.

Sometimes it indeed underestimates, but I'm seeing a lot of overestimating of distances. I was happy with Tesla Vison at first since we finally got something, but I gotta say it is absolutely worthless compared to USS.

Yes, USS may in some very rare cases not spot a pole or not function when covered with a thick layer of mud/snow, but a slight drizzle doesn't confuse USS one bit. Tesla Vision beeps all over the place.

It really is terrible and it makes me skeptical it can ever replace USS properly. (According to Tesla it'll have to since otherwise smart summon/autopark is impossible, let alone FSD).

And Tesla keeps raving about how they are the technology king, but IMO a cutting edge vehicle is littered with sensors to provide every possible function/measurement. Tesla is being more and more of a cheapskate delivering the bottom of the barrel (option wise), just cameras that have to emulate regular features (rain sensing, headlight sensing, USS, TACC) that normally work perfectly with specified hardware.

I'd rather they carge me $1000 extra for a Tesla vehicle and add all the parts.

They won't, but Tesla will have to watch out they don't develop a bad name regarding features compared to other cars/EVs. Yes, the safety and the battery efficiency is still best at Tesla, but all other aspects of a car are done as good by other brands. I'm really worried what Tesla is doing with this Tesla vision stuff.

Maybe HW4 is the solution to many of said problems, but in that case I am not pleased my (first) purchase of a Tesla was as a guineau pig that will never have a perfectly functioning park assist.

Last edited:
I think it took me over a month for the first update
Be happy you didn’t get this update yet - it causes issues with Bluetooth connectivity with your phone, including issues with key integration to recognize the vehicle in some cases. I and many others have been having issues with our phone connectivity to the vehicle since this update has deployed that have resulted in repeated reboots of the vehicle software, our phones, and complete removal and re-pairing of the Bluetooth device, and in some cases owners have had to remove the entire Tesla app from their smartphone which requires complete reconfiguration of everything. Be careful what you wish for - I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla is delaying rollout of this version due to these core connectivity issues.

I didn't have any problem with it interfering with anything else but maybe
I am to new to notice. The one thing that is kind of irritating is it says loading
a lot of times when I start the car. Maybe it has to do this to reload location data.