Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just joined this forum as I expect delivery first week of June. Originally, I ordered the EAP and acknowledged limitations of certain features until I read about it more (including in this forum). I have since removed the EAP from my order. This will be my first Tesla (Model Y) and one feature I was most excited about was Summon. Not even Smart Summon. Long story short, I could use this with small kids in tight spaces here where I live.

Anyways, applying some common sense, idk how Tesla will achieve reactivating Auto Park, Summon and Smart Summon in USS-free cars without bumper camera. I can perhaps see Auto Park and Summon working (Auto Park mostly relies on rear and side cameras and Summon could require you to be in front of the car to check for obstacles). However, Smart Summon assumes the car is far away and you won't see it nor will it see the animals, pets, children etc. that could be sitting right in front. Could this be the reason for major price drops? Removal of these features on this year's model?

I'm thinking of keeping the car as I love everything else about the Model Y. Front/Rear/Trunks space, minimalistic design, sleek, quick, decent basic autopilot, beats MPG, etc. I might try subscription for a month to see the benefits of it all. But not totally bummed removing the EAP feature since the new finding. $6K not worth just navigating on AP and FSD has never been. Only thing I'm bummed about is the opportunity to have the EAP financed where if I "rent" it, it won't stay with the car which really re-sells it should I decide to trade it in a year or 3.

Anyways, glad to be here for updates. YouTube is full of click-bait titles on this subject. It's sickening what people do just to get views.

I just joined this forum as I expect delivery first week of June. Originally, I ordered the EAP and acknowledged limitations of certain features until I read about it more (including in this forum). I have since removed the EAP from my order. This will be my first Tesla (Model Y) and one feature I was most excited about was Summon. Not even Smart Summon. Long story short, I could use this with small kids in tight spaces here where I live.

Anyways, applying some common sense, idk how Tesla will achieve reactivating Auto Park, Summon and Smart Summon in USS-free cars without bumper camera. I can perhaps see Auto Park and Summon working (Auto Park mostly relies on rear and side cameras and Summon could require you to be in front of the car to check for obstacles). However, Smart Summon assumes the car is far away and you won't see it nor will it see the animals, pets, children etc. that could be sitting right in front. Could this be the reason for major price drops? Removal of these features on this year's model?

I'm thinking of keeping the car as I love everything else about the Model Y. Front/Rear/Trunks space, minimalistic design, sleek, quick, decent basic autopilot, beats MPG, etc. I might try subscription for a month to see the benefits of it all. But not totally bummed removing the EAP feature since the new finding. $6K not worth just navigating on AP and FSD has never been. Only thing I'm bummed about is the opportunity to have the EAP financed where if I "rent" it, it won't stay with the car which really re-sells it should I decide to trade it in a year or 3.

Anyways, glad to be here for updates. YouTube is full of click-bait titles on this subject. It's sickening what people do just to get views.
Welcome to the forum Marimar02. You have made a very wise decision cancelling EAP before Tesla got their hands on it and gave you nothing in return. It is a complete waste of money.

And yes I suspect you are right about the price drop. Tesla knows they are trying to punt deficient cars that will likely never be fully re-enabled, so in order to keep the factories rolling until they put new hardware back into cars to bring these features back, they have to fire sale current cars to compete with others who have all these features.

Thanks.

Just wonder how they’ll achieve these features without retrofit that seems to be ruled out. Like I mentioned, I’m guessing auto park and summon could work sooner then latter. Smart summon if anything would be harder to achieve. Unless they make the car back up briefly so the windshield camera captures anything sitting in front of the car (blind spot). Or maybe your Tesla will tell my Tesla that it’s safe to move!?

There seems to also be a disclaimer that covers firmware and obsolete hardware and technically they could just say forget it.

Really wish they were clearer in how they’ll address these features that cost $6K.

I know you didn't ask me, but I also did the same thing. I sold my M3P 45K miles, no FSD but with Volk TE37SL wheels and an Unleashed Carbon steering wheel for $37K. It just made sense to upgrade to the MYP with all of the tax credits.

Always great to get an idea. I guess key thing to understand this is

1. Which year M3P did you sell?
2. Who did you sell and when ? (Tesla trade in? Carmax?) - market has been charging fast on EVs. Thx

So apparently Model Ys are now shipping with hardware 4.0 that changes the cameras, introduces radar and has an updated computer so that EAP/FSD will start working again. I guess this is what they meant by ”Coming Soon” when they palmed off non-USS cars to people all over the world with lots of disabled features.

Chances of recall / retrofit programme from Tesla…I suspect zero. Coming soon as long as you buy another car?

But they do want me to refer a friend for an extended test drive…fat chance Tesla. Totally untrustworthy. I would recommend ANY other brand before Tesla.

You can set a cloud profile and restore it to the car after the update.

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

So I never got around to doing this, figured I would set this up at some point and do the factory reset, but yesterday suddenly for no apparent reason the Tesla Vision started working on my car. Very strange because it’s not like I did a software update anytime recently. Last software update was a week ago, but maybe the car needed a few days to calibrate? IDK, but it’s now working….. well that is if you call Tesla Vision in its current form “working”. Hopefully it will improve over time. Today it was yelling at me to “STOP” even though I was still 3 feet away from the curb. But I guess that is better than if it said nothing and I crashed into the curb.

Thanks.

Just wonder how they’ll achieve these features without retrofit that seems to be ruled out. Like I mentioned, I’m guessing auto park and summon could work sooner then latter. Smart summon if anything would be harder to achieve. Unless they make the car back up briefly so the windshield camera captures anything sitting in front of the car (blind spot). Or maybe your Tesla will tell my Tesla that it’s safe to move!?

There seems to also be a disclaimer that covers firmware and obsolete hardware and technically they could just say forget it.

Really wish they were clearer in how they’ll address these features that cost $6K.
To be honest i would want the NoA feature as i do a lot of freeway driving, but there is not chance in hell that i am going to shell out the $4300 it cost in the country i live in.

For one, they sell this as a package with auto-lanechange and summon, smart summon and auto-park.

So basically they want me to pay for 5 features, of which i am only getting 2. They claim that the features will be available on 2023 no-USS cars later, but to be honest, if they ever get them back on, i would imagine them being just as flakey as the "Vision parking sensors". They work pretty poorly, screams at me to STOP even though i am nowhere near anything, and takes so long to load that most of the time i have driven away from the parking lot, before they are even finished loading.

Selling a package with 5 functions but only offering 2 right now, and a vague promise that i will get something (maybe, no solid promises) is not going to fly here.

To be honest, they should just be honest themselves and say "Okay, we will make a package with only NoA and Auto-langechange and make that package cost $1000"

In that case, i would buy it instantly.

As this is "only software" i would imagine that it was a better deal to get $1000, than to get $0

Reactions: GSP and gtae07
Tesla vision park assist is still a mess. It has not been updated since first release 6.9 and I doubt some changes were made under the hood. In my garage it is totally unreliable on the front and worse when turning the wheels going forward. Looks like it cannot cope with the measurements and gets quiclky lost in wiggly lines and weird numbers.
In reverse it’s better when there is a clear obstacle (wall, car) but otherwise it’s tricky.
In the front it will hit one obstacle out of two, a simple suitcase causes no alerts

Tbh, I’m only prolly going to accept delivery of my MY for the perks I don’t get in my current hybrid. Space, speed, current price, upgradability, etc. even without me shelling out a premium on EAP, the car at its current price is a decent buy.

I was thinking about it though. As I was getting an online appraisal ready for my trade-in and started punching in features (HUD, heated/ventilated seats, electrochromatic roof glass, 360 parking, etc) I realized I actually may already own a superior technologically advanced car to MY and it’s only a Toyota. If not for the benefits I listed on Tesla MY, I wouldn’t let this puppy go.

Plus, if economy and car market stabilizes, my trade in worth will never be this high and I have a feeling that Tesla will raise MY prices when they get their crap in order. For me personally, good time to buy.

Tbh, I’m only prolly going to accept delivery of my MY for the perks I don’t get in my current hybrid. Space, speed, current price, upgradability, etc. even without me shelling out a premium on EAP, the car at its current price is a decent buy.

I was thinking about it though. As I was getting an online appraisal ready for my trade-in and started punching in features (HUD, heated/ventilated seats, electrochromatic roof glass, 360 parking, etc) I realized I actually may already own a superior technologically advanced car to MY and it’s only a Toyota. If not for the benefits I listed on Tesla MY, I wouldn’t let this puppy go.

Plus, if economy and car market stabilizes, my trade in worth will never be this high and I have a feeling that Tesla will raise MY prices when they get their crap in order. For me personally, good time to buy.
Don’t forget downgradability when Tesla feels like it!

Don’t forget downgradability when Tesla feels like it!
Haha. Good point. Maybe that's another reason why it feels good not upgrading EAP at this time since most of the on/off/upgrade/downgrade/playing games with custoemers is in that erea. My only upgrades are gray paint and larger wheels on a basic AWD model. Wish some of these upgrades came a-la-carte as a previous post mentinons it but not holding my breath.

Haha. Good point. Maybe that's another reason why it feels good not upgrading EAP at this time since most of the on/off/upgrade/downgrade/playing games with custoemers is in that erea. My only upgrades are gray paint and larger wheels on a basic AWD model. Wish some of these upgrades came a-la-carte as a previous post mentinons it but not holding my breath.
They should just admit that cars without radar and USS, will never have reliable summon, smart summon and autopark, remove these features from the NoA package and give people with non-USS cars the option to buy the package with Navigate on Autopilot and Auto-Lanechange at a discount (a rather large discount, as compensation for not getting the Summon, Smart Summon and Auto-Park features at all)

Reactions: gtae07
They should just admit that cars without radar and USS, will never have reliable summon, smart summon and autopark, remove these features from the NoA package and give people with non-USS cars the option to buy the package with Navigate on Autopilot and Auto-Lanechange at a discount (a rather large discount, as compensation for not getting the Summon, Smart Summon and Auto-Park features at all)
Or better still refund the money they have already taken for those customers they duped into believing anything worthwhile was “coming soon”.

Wouldn’t trust them to not find something else they can remove in pursuit of stupid ideas like Tesla Vision, or profitability…

Or better still refund the money they have already taken for those customers they duped into believing anything worthwhile was “coming soon”.
I agree, they should definitively give those users an option for a full refund and disable the features.

I for one am not going to pay full price for a feature pack that only offers 40% of the advertised features so unless they get those features actually working good, or sell the functions they have at a heavily discounted price, i am not going to get it.