Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So apparently Model Ys are now shipping with hardware 4.0 that changes the cameras, introduces radar and has an updated computer so that EAP/FSD will start working again. I guess this is what they meant by ”Coming Soon” when they palmed off non-USS cars to people all over the world with lots of disabled features.

Chances of recall / retrofit programme from Tesla…I suspect zero. Coming soon as long as you buy another car?

But they do want me to refer a friend for an extended test drive…fat chance Tesla. Totally untrustworthy. I would recommend ANY other brand before Tesla.
Tesla’s engineers knew from day one that cars without USS were never ever going to achieve “parity” with pre-pandemic cars. Tesla puts out a “coming soon” statement to sell the lie that the functionality will be restored even though they know that’s impossible. Read your purchase agreement, you have no recourse.

Elon lies constantly. It’s baked into the company culture at this point. It doesn’t matter, because Tesla remains the only game in town and they are going to take full advantage of that right up until the day they can’t.

Hi All,

want to open this thread for owner who had 2023 model Y with no ultrasonic sensor (USS).
Now car does not have park assist to show the distance in garage.

News saying we will be waiting on a Tesla Vision solution. Let's collect information together in this thread and share with others.
I have no USS. The distance to objects as I pull into my 1-car garage is accurate enough. I park 13 inches from an upright Kayak.

Just got this update. I’ll be trying it out later today.

Attachments

• IMG_9156.png
    IMG_9156.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: cdub
I got this update last night and noticed the colored lines back on today. From my first couple of drives, i would definitely not trust it, I'm sure it will be get better with future updates but right now it isn't accurate enough to actually use reliably. Happy they are making progress though!

In my experience, it always shows me being too close to everything. It’s telling me to ”STOP” when I’m still 2 feet away from the curb. I guess it’s better being overly cautious than having me smash into the curb because it says I’m further away.

Just got my 2023 Tesla Y with Tesla Vision. Ever sine the last (parking assist) update, the cameras tell me to STOP when I am nowhere near a curb or other car. When I enter my 3 car garage garage it warms me that my shelves are cars and flashes warning and audio beeps that drive me crazy I only have 386 miles on it a! My last car was a Tesla Y 2020 model. Had no issues like that!!

Finally got a hold of someone at the Service center and being told that Tesla will be transitioning back to the ultra sonic sensors as early as January and those cars will have Summon and Auto-Park but Tesla Vision did not qualify.

Now what? They charged 6K for enhanced autopilot that said had the features and not "coming soon" on the website and now this car will not have it at all?
So, what do people who have 2023 Y with “vision” with packages paid for with no functionality do?

Hi all - New 2023 MYP which is about a week old, 200 miles driven. Has HW4 installed.
I know Park Assist doesn't work well without USS, but still wondering if vision is functioning properly.
When I pull into garage, I get a front squiggly line, but when I am about 6 feet from the front objects it shows it as 0 distance (line is right at front of car and says stop).
As I pull closer, I get a message that Park assist is degraded, then says that left pillar camera is blocked or needs cleaning.
The car is about 2.5 feet from left wall, and the camera looks clean and isn't blocked.
I have tried disabling autopilot, rebooting, etc, and still with this message.

I know Park Assist doesn't work well without USS, but expected it to be a bit better than this.
My brother has a 2023 LR and park assist gets to within about 2 feet of front objects.
Is there anything else to try, or is it worth entering a service ticket?
Appreciate any advise.

Otherwise loving the car! Installed the Homelink this morning, and it's working perfectly!

Hi all - New 2023 MYP which is about a week old, 200 miles driven. Has HW4 installed.
I know Park Assist doesn't work well without USS, but still wondering if vision is functioning properly.
When I pull into garage, I get a front squiggly line, but when I am about 6 feet from the front objects it shows it as 0 distance (line is right at front of car and says stop).
As I pull closer, I get a message that Park assist is degraded, then says that left pillar camera is blocked or needs cleaning.
The car is about 2.5 feet from left wall, and the camera looks clean and isn't blocked.
I have tried disabling autopilot, rebooting, etc, and still with this message.

I know Park Assist doesn't work well without USS, but expected it to be a bit better than this.
My brother has a 2023 LR and park assist gets to within about 2 feet of front objects.
Is there anything else to try, or is it worth entering a service ticket?
Appreciate any advise.

Otherwise loving the car! Installed the Homelink this morning, and it's working perfectly!
What you see is what you got unless you want to put back USS.

That's how Tesla vision works without USS.

For me, the problem with current non-USS / Tesla Vision cars is that the distance measurements with Tesla Vision are pretty much useless.... Not only are they inaccurate, they are not consistently too conservative or too relaxed, and there are large blind spots in front of the car. You really can't trust or use the measurements at all. I was ready to buy a new Tesla but the lack of reliable and accurate measurements for close distance measurements feels like a deal breaker... even if I managed for years driving in older cars without USS, it's unacceptable in this era and at this price point for a car not to provide accurate distance measurements for objects at close range while parking. How can a '23 Tesla have _reduced functionality_ compared to ones built a year or two ago?! Tesla should do better by its customers and realize this basic feature is a non-negotiable for many potential buyers. There will be a lot of '23 Teslas with dinged fenders from parking lots and garage mishaps, but maybe that's more money for Tesla Service Centers....

I test drove 2023 M3 and MY yesterday (both w/o USS) and while parking them wasn’t hard (you still get both side views and a back view) the actual reported distance was worthless. Sometimes it told me I was close when I wasn’t and once it said I had two feet when I was only about 6 inches away from touching what was behind me.

For me, the problem with current non-USS / Tesla Vision cars is that the distance measurements with Tesla Vision are pretty much useless.... Not only are they inaccurate, they are not consistently too conservative or too relaxed, and there are large blind spots in front of the car. You really can't trust or use the measurements at all. I was ready to buy a new Tesla but the lack of reliable and accurate measurements for close distance measurements feels like a deal breaker... even if I managed for years driving in older cars without USS, it's unacceptable in this era and at this price point for a car not to provide accurate distance measurements for objects at close range while parking. How can a '23 Tesla have _reduced functionality_ compared to ones built a year or two ago?! Tesla should do better by its customers and realize this basic feature is a non-negotiable for many potential buyers. There will be a lot of '23 Teslas with dinged fenders from parking lots and garage mishaps, but maybe that's more money for Tesla Service Centers....
Because it is $15k plus $7500 CHEAPER than my 22 MYP. :cool:

Because it is $15k plus $7500 CHEAPER than my 22 MYP. :cool:

No doubt... I have a 21 MYLR and just got a 23 M3P. The MY has a bunch of stuff the M3 doesn't have (central data USBs, Radar [no longer used], USS, Passenger lumbar, etc), but to be honest, the vision parking, while worse than USS, is fine for me.

I'm sure most of us grew up parking without rear cameras and beeping sensors, they're nice to have, but I rarely park in places where I need that level of accuracy. I either back in, which the cameras and mirrors tell me all I need, or pull straight in and slowly learn my cars dimensions. The TV spaghetti helps steepen that learning curve.

That M3P was also only $48k (after 7500 back) which is way less than what it was in the past. (If you get existing inventory its only $45k!) Which I think is a steal for that car

Reactions: Bob2C and gtae07
So, what do people who have 2023 Y with “vision” with packages paid for with no functionality do?
hlamelissa, Tesla are ripping customers, they are still advertising all the parking functions if you order a car. Tesla can only keep dropping the price of cars its the only way they can sell. Prospective buyers are now wise to the false promises and Tesla continue to mislead customers. Great car but one time buyer, no trust in the brand, but on the bright side there are many new EV that are better and more advanced than Tesla.