Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y rattles in the back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
had a tesla mobile engineer over to fix boot rattle issues. he took apart the tail gate padding and padded all the plastic bushings. another source of rattle seems to be from seat belt clips and rear passenger head rests. for head rests the only quick way to stop the rattle is to retract them. as far as the belt clips are concerned the quickest way to stop the rattle is to align the clip parallel to the side of the seat (tucking them between seat and the side wall of the vehicle). happy to repot that the main rattle is gone.

had a tesla mobile engineer over to fix boot rattle issues. he took apart the tail gate padding and padded all the plastic bushings. another source of rattle seems to be from seat belt clips and rear passenger head rests. for head rests the only quick way to stop the rattle is to retract them. as far as the belt clips are concerned the quickest way to stop the rattle is to align the clip parallel to the side of the seat (tucking them between seat and the side wall of the vehicle). happy to repot that the main rattle is gone.
I have (Model Y)the same kind of annoying sound from the back. It came from the tail gate sealings (not the main sealing). On the both sides of tail gate, there is sealings. In my case, these sealings touched too hard to frame. I adjust four bumpers on the tail gate (CCW). After this adjustment, the annoying sound was gone.

Reactions: RajG
Wanted to give an update on my 2023 Rattles which finally got RESOLVED 🙏 after a Saga which eventually ended with getting the General manager into the loop given how much attitude the Advisor was throwing around at Palo Alto SC and even started telling me that he would charge me for the service because apparently 'Noise' is not covered under warranty. Hope this post helps anybody who is still frustrated with the rattles.

So two things that were causing this,
1 - The rear seats were not bolted properly into the frame, and there are two seat heating components which are just attached to frame and sit below the seats. The one of the right rear was not fixed properly, and this was the main source of noise when going over bumps it was hitting the metal frame and rattling.
2 - The left rear window was not fully attached to the regulator. The glass was vibrating and hitting the regulators when going over the bumps and hence the noise of rattles. If you gently tap on the door when glass is upright position, the glass should not wobble. I saw that happen and SC was initially reluctant to look into that but the GM also reluctantly agreed to look into that. I had been telling them this was the issue from Day1, and for some reason SC is not willing to admit there is fault there.

Anyways, finally after 3months and 5 SC visits, got the issue resolved! It does not rattle when going over bumps and tested it well on the dreaded El Camino Real road. Also, the Model Y rear seat rattle is a known issue, so for folks with the problem please ask them open up bottom of the rear seats and check for loose wires/elements.

I know how frustrating it can be drive around with the rattles, I am so much at peace with the car now and feels good to drive without being frustrated. Hope this helps! :)

I have - this problem - if you knock on the window glass - both rear windows, they make metal sound.. my fronts are fine. i think that's what makes metal rattle sounds when driving on bumpu road... and so far SC said they fixed some regulator *sugar*.. but it still happens.. and I think it makes the window glass loose on highways making cabin more nosiy... i will have to set-up 4th appointment may be now with diff SC.

2 - The left rear window was not fully attached to the regulator. The glass was vibrating and hitting the regulators when going over the bumps and hence the noise of rattles. If you gently tap on the door when glass is upright position, the glass should not wobble. I saw that happen and SC was initially reluctant to look into that but the GM also reluctantly agreed to look into that. I had been telling them this was the issue from Day1, and for some reason SC is not willing to admit there is fault there.

Reactions: wakkigy
I have - this problem - if you knock on the window glass - both rear windows, they make metal sound.. my fronts are fine. i think that's what makes metal rattle sounds when driving on bumpu road... and so far SC said they fixed some regulator *sugar*.. but it still happens.. and I think it makes the window glass loose on highways making cabin more nosiy... i will have to set-up 4th appointment may be now with diff SC.

oh that is definitely an issue then.

They will never admit defect. From my experience in corporate planning SC are generally cost centers or cost neutral to P&L. Anything for in warranty repairs and service are cost for them to absorb. That being said, Tesla SC in my area not been expanding in scale or locations at the same rate as deliveries.

They will never admit defect. From my experience in corporate planning SC are generally cost centers or cost neutral to P&L. Anything for in warranty repairs and service are cost for them to absorb. That being said, Tesla SC in my area not been expanding in scale or locations at the same rate as deliveries.
Tesla at least here in the UK have been prompt in fixing issues. They have even booked a free wheel balancing service for a wheel after curb rash repair.

I have a similar problem with my 2023 LR Model Y. I went in to SC for several times to address this issue and they never got it resolved. In my last service request, I've mentioned about my window noise issue and asked for a mobile service. The tech was super friendly and provided a lot of tips and information about fixing the car. Even though I did not request for a window regular detail in my ticket, he brought a new regular with him as he read through my previous SC visits and said the regular should have been replaced. After the regular is replaced and adjusted, the wobbling has much reduced. He recommended that you can notate in the service request itself about issue with window regular and the tech would likely bring one along with him when they come to fix the window noise. I did exactly that when I schedule my next appointment for the other side of rear window noise.

Here is a vid of my passenger side noise

Mine also sounds like this from the rear. I was planning on removing the trim to see if there was anything obvious causing it.
I took apart the plastic trim and added padding on contact area, but this is a new one that I didn't realize and this noise definitely sounded very similar to what I experienced at times. I'm going to try to add more padding on that little metal box too!! Thanks

I have a similar problem with my 2023 LR Model Y. I went in to SC for several times to address this issue and they never got it resolved. In my last service request, I've mentioned about my window noise issue and asked for a mobile service. The tech was super friendly and provided a lot of tips and information about fixing the car. Even though I did not request for a window regular detail in my ticket, he brought a new regular with him as he read through my previous SC visits and said the regular should have been replaced. After the regular is replaced and adjusted, the wobbling has much reduced. He recommended that you can notate in the service request itself about issue with window regular and the tech would likely bring one along with him when they come to fix the window noise. I did exactly that when I schedule my next appointment for the other side of rear window noise.

Here is a vid of my passenger side noise
They replaced my regulator two times... at least per service report.. but it's getting worse.
now the trim is misaligned.. not sure what to do..

till now I have been in the assumption that the creaking noise from the rear when driver over pavement, is due to rubbing of battery to metal chassis. but today I found out that if I were to drive with the tail gate raised there is no creaking whatsoever. I loosened the 4 bushes and evidently the noise reduced.

I've been having these problems also. Picked up my Model Y a couple months ago. When I picked it up there was a rattle in the rear driver side AND passenger door/window and the front passenger door/window. Made a service appt, drove off, and only the rear driver side window was fixed. Made a mobile service appt for the passenger side door/window and rear passenger door/window. He said he drove it, heard it, and fixed the passenger side door/window, but said the rear passenger side door/window was actually just the car seat I had there! I told him I didn't think so, but he left and that was that. I removed the car seats (multiple) and it still does it. He also mentioned it could be the metal latch that allows the 60/40 split for the back seats and said he padded with some silicon. Still today, there is a rattle from the back middle seat passenger side that I cannot get rid of. It drives me crazy. My 2018 Model 3 never had any issue like this and still does not to this day.

I've been having these problems also. Picked up my Model Y a couple months ago. When I picked it up there was a rattle in the rear driver side AND passenger door/window and the front passenger door/window. Made a service appt, drove off, and only the rear driver side window was fixed. Made a mobile service appt for the passenger side door/window and rear passenger door/window. He said he drove it, heard it, and fixed the passenger side door/window, but said the rear passenger side door/window was actually just the car seat I had there! I told him I didn't think so, but he left and that was that. I removed the car seats (multiple) and it still does it. He also mentioned it could be the metal latch that allows the 60/40 split for the back seats and said he padded with some silicon. Still today, there is a rattle from the back middle seat passenger side that I cannot get rid of. It drives me crazy. My 2018 Model 3 never had any issue like this and still does not to this day.
If you are sure about the middle seat then try adding felt tape to the metal latch that holds the seat. And also worth cleaning the middle seat contact points with a lubricant to smoothen the stiffness of the leather.
Worth a look -

Last edited:
I am almost sure that this sound comes from the trunk glass, at bumps it touches the body therefore this metal/glass sound.
I was at the Tesla service 3 weeks ago, told them to replace/reseal the glass on my expense, but they ignore it, they played a bit with the trunk rubbers and said that the issue is gone now, of course it is NOT.

I will try to go to a third party shop to re-seal the glass.
Here is my video (I unmount half of the car to figure this out)

I also have this. Did anyone pin point where this is actually coming from. It’s driving me nuts

Mine came from the rear seat pins holding it up in the upright position. This happened to my S and that’s how I wound out. To confirm just fold both rear seats down. If the sound goes away, wrap the seat pins where it latch the seat in the upright position w some tape.

Mine came from the rear seat pins holding it up in the upright position. This happened to my S and that’s how I wound out. To confirm just fold both rear seats down. If the sound goes away, wrap the seat pins where it latch the seat in the upright position w some tape.
Are you talking about the pin on the rear driver side seat that protrudes out?

Are you talking about the pin on the rear driver side seat that protrudes out?

This is from my Model S and what Tesla service center did to get rid of the noise. Weird thing was I thought it was the shock assembly as it would happened over bumps. The car is completely silent now. I sold my Y so I can’t share w you what I did there but the rear was also quiet after wrapping those pins.

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0767.jpeg
    IMG_0767.jpeg
    789.1 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: wakkigy and Ts91