Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD, LFP battery: Initial range at 418 instead 445 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
👍. Its not supposed to be used in routine day to day driving
Its there so you can drive to 0% and the car will still be alive with an allowance for the variabilities in the BMS estimation etc.. Imagine the complaints where people say as soon as the car went to 1% or 0% it completely went cold and dead.
No different from gassers which continue to run when the gauge shows empty. The measurement is not exact.
Of course you shouldn't dance that close with the devil if you can avoid it. I got caught short in a long long traffic delay as I was approaching a planned stop back in the day of few Superchargers.
In a gasser, you run the risk of pulling up crud from the bottom of the tank, in Diesels you will lose prime, and getting rid of air in the lines is a pain. Of course, in EVs, you pick up all the old dead electrons from the bottom of the battery ;)

Reactions: Quickst
I'm newbe and I've had my Tesla Model Y, RWD for about two weeks now.

So far I have fully (100%) charged the car twice - once per week as suggested for the LFP battery type.
In both cases at 100% charged, car shows a range estimation of 418 km which is about 6% less from the advertised 445 km.
Is this expected for new RWD, LFP battery? The car odometer is just ~200 km.
My 2022 Model Y SR (chinese built with CATL LFP battery) showed 420km when new, and after 27,000km, is now showing 421. It is very strange that yours is so low IMO... I keep mine on trickle charge every night, and most mornings it is at 100% (i.e. a lot more than the recommended once per week. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you have not left it charging for at least 30 minutes AFTER it reaches 100% That extra 30 mins is used to rebalance the battery pack. After it has rebalanced it will automatically shut off charging. THAT is when you know it is actually finished.

Speaking of mud flaps, has anyone seen any that fit in FRONT of the front wheels? (I used to have these on my Mercedes and BMW's in the past). What they do is help prevent water from being sent forward when you hit a puddle, and then flying up on to the windshield. This happened to me twice last weekend, and I was driving blind for a few seconds while the wipers 'thought' about what to do...