Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD vin assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be interested to hear from RWD owners, what kind of charge rates are being seen at Superchargers as the battery gets to a higher state of charge (like 80-90%). That may give a clue on whether the RWD actually has a smaller battery or has the same battery as the LR with software limiting.

Reactions: kajsidog and sc8488
I'll be interested to hear from RWD owners, what kind of charge rates are being seen at Superchargers as the battery gets to a higher state of charge (like 80-90%). That may give a clue on whether the RWD actually has a smaller battery or has the same battery as the LR with software limiting.
If the on-board charger is 48-amp, there is a possibility that RWDs may have LR battery with software limited since only LR batteries come with 48-amp charger.

Picked up the RWD today at Paramus NJ.

I believe the following screenshot confirms it's not LFP. The advisor told me it was LFP when I asked today. I don't think they have a clue honestly.

No scratches, basic autopilot worked well on the fairly short ten mile drive home. At 80 percent max charge, range reports as 205 miles.

I'm in NJ, so after 4k pos credit , no sales tax (3k savings ) and the 7500 fed credit I'll get on my tax return, it's the same price effectively as buying a $31k ICE vehicle

Let me know if y'all have questions.

View attachment 991588

Ordered 15th October , build was the cheapest possible, gray, with nothing else from Fremont.

I did get 3 months of FSD because it was a referral.

At Paramus, I did walk around and I did not see any other RWD, but doesn't mean there weren't.

Curious to know if the price you paid at delivery was the most recent price reduction at $40,990?

Here some RWD observations for those interested. I just took an overnight demo drive with a RWD MY with MFG date of 10/25/23. I own a 22 RWD M3.
  • It had functioning fog lights but no way to control them in the menus, which I thought was probably a MFG mistake.
  • Drove like any other MY just slower.
  • This one had the deep base boomy noise that is likely caused by the rear hatch resonating over bumps. No parcel shelf, which may be contributing.
  • Charge menu recommended charging to 80%, so likely 2170 cells.
  • Wind noise quieter but road noise and motor noise worse than my RWD M3
  • premium audio noticeably better than RWD M3
I was tempted by the cheap inventory RWD MY but I think I am going to keep M3. The booming noise, the lack of ultrasonic sensors, and no LFP is my reasoning.

• Informative
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
Hunting down a MY RWD for the end of year deals
Of which there a lot

Can someone provide the following information?
LFP? I just checked a vehicle and it only said Lithium Ion
Quickness? Dog or not?
Any features stripped? Speaker count, etc
Charging? Quick? Range?

I test drove a white RWD Y at the Fremont Sales Center on Monday. Unless you absolutely need to do freeway launches 24/7, it's plenty. It's just not an MYP or MYLR. Since I'm coming from an S85 RWD, it's about the same, fast enough and faster than 9.5 out of 10 ICEs. If you want performance, get the MYP. I'm getting this for the LFP battery pack which will last longer and I won't have to baby. The LR has 330 miles of range but that drops fast and you have to baby it.

BTW, the VIN was 7SAYGDED9PF907474 (Fremont build, Single motor). Also the Additional Vehicle Information page did not even have a High voltage battery type line. Otherwise, Ryzen, 2G/3G/4G, Permanent magnet. I didn't check whether it had Matrix.
Not LFP, did you also discover that?

Apparently, the 2170 pack for Model Y RWD is just like the 2170 Long Range pack but with fewer cells in it because they left some rows blank to reduce capacity. Tesla has done this before with the Model 3 SR RWD in 2020. It was also using 2170 cells.

CATL LFP cells come from China and they have a negative effect on tax credits. The critical minerals source country requirements will increase from 40% this year to 50% in 2024. That's at the fleet level, not for each car. Therefore using LFP for some cars is OK for now. I think Fremont will continue using CATL LFP for Model 3 RWD but they need to increase non-China-LFP use so LFP drops to a lower percentage of the fleet.
Austin MY RWD has no LFP
Agree with you it has 2170s
Sat in one yesterday and it had the 80% max charging guidance
I’m very interested in a RWD but at 260 mile range wanted the LFP like charging %
With the SW limited and smaller LR pack, can we goto 100% capacity charging?

I have another post for RwD and towing
No one has hit it yet