Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD vin assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered mine on 10/13 - registered, no trade-in, financing completed, I haven't heard anything as of yet. I was in a car accident and totaled my IOINQ 5 on 10/7 so I'm really hoping this doesn't take too long. I hope this RWD isn't just a "once in a while" production thing.

I've ordered mine, 10/23, registered. The Tesla app estimates Oct/Nov. Chatting with the sales guy at the Fremont sales center, I said that I'd read the MY RWD for Canada was made in Shanghai. He said, yes, but for the US market it will be made here. He wasn't sure whether that meant Austin or Fremont.

My guess is that since they've added the RWD to the US configurator that they'll be building them and the fact that he didn't know where (and he seemed pretty clued in) meant it hasn't happened yet and it won't be Shanghai.

So I feel like this will happen before Jan 1 which is important to me for FSC transfer and tax reasons.

Has anyone driven the RWD car yet? Do you think it will drive much different than the long range model y? I ask because I am on fence to upgrade but no showrooms have it. I drove the long range and loved it but am wondering if you think the lower acceleration and RWD vs AWD will make the drive alot different?

Has anyone driven the RWD car yet? Do you think it will drive much different than the long range model y? I ask because I am on fence to upgrade but no showrooms have it. I drove the long range and loved it but am wondering if you think the lower acceleration and RWD vs AWD will make the drive alot different?
My understanding is that the current version of the MY RWD has only been available for sale in Europe and other regions, but not in Nort America, so the models that will be delivered in Nov. 2023 are the first produced in this configuration in North America. There are some videos on YouTube covering this configuration built out of the Giga Berlin factory. As far as how it drives, I am under the impression it is very similar to the M3 RWD that is currently available. Same drive motors, battery etc.

I test drove a white RWD Y at the Fremont Sales Center on Monday. Unless you absolutely need to do freeway launches 24/7, it's plenty. It's just not an MYP or MYLR. Since I'm coming from an S85 RWD, it's about the same, fast enough and faster than 9.5 out of 10 ICEs. If you want performance, get the MYP. I'm getting this for the LFP battery pack which will last longer and I won't have to baby. The LR has 330 miles of range but that drops fast and you have to baby it.

BTW, the VIN was 7SAYGDED9PF907474 (Fremont build, Single motor). Also the Additional Vehicle Information page did not even have a High voltage battery type line. Otherwise, Ryzen, 2G/3G/4G, Permanent magnet. I didn't check whether it had Matrix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethan Ryczek
I test drove a white RWD Y at the Fremont Sales Center on Monday. Unless you absolutely need to do freeway launches 24/7, it's plenty. It's just not an MYP or MYLR. Since I'm coming from an S85 RWD, it's about the same, fast enough and faster than 9.5 out of 10 ICEs. If you want performance, get the MYP. I'm getting this for the LFP battery pack which will last longer and I won't have to baby. The LR has 330 miles of range but that drops fast and you have to baby it.

BTW, the VIN was 7SAYGDED9PF907474 (Fremont build, Single motor). Also the Additional Vehicle Information page did not even have a High voltage battery type line. Otherwise, Ryzen, 2G/3G/4G, Permanent magnet. I didn't check whether it had Matrix.
Is there confirmation that the 2023 RWD Y has an LFP battery pack? I've tried reaching out to Tesla and had one advisor confirm that it does, but a second advisor was confident it does not. There's no official info about it on Tesla.com.

Is there confirmation that the 2023 RWD Y has an LFP battery pack? I've tried reaching out to Tesla and had one advisor confirm that it does, but a second advisor was confident it does not. There's no official info about it on Tesla.com.

The RWD configurations are on the Inventory page. So they're on the lots now. Someone on Reddit said yes, and I'm feeling pretty confident. The RWD 3 has LFP and the RWD Y in other markets has LFP.

The RWD configurations are on the Inventory page. So they're on the lots now. Someone on Reddit said yes, and I'm feeling pretty confident. The RWD 3 has LFP and the RWD Y in other markets has LFP.
Yes, 'most' people that seem to know more about these things than I do indicate that it is indeed LFP, which also seems to fit with tesla's strategy of their RWD cars in general being LFP.

Model Y RWD at Giga Shanghai has CATL LFP cells
Model Y RWD at Giga Berlin has a BYD Blade battery
Model Y RWD at Fremont apparently has 2170 cells
That’s not good. Does anyone think the RWD with 2170 is a good deal compared to the LR + AWD for 5K more. The effective daily range with RWD is then 260-20% = 208, which is practically about 150mi or less on bad weather days assuming you want to arrive at the destination with at least 10%. To top that the car will charge slower than the AWD.

Reactions: EVChris
That’s not good. Does anyone think the RWD with 2170 is a good deal compared to the LR + AWD for 5K more. The effective daily range with RWD is then 260-20% = 208, which is practically about 150mi or less on bad weather days assuming you want to arrive at the destination with at least 10%. To top that the car will charge slower than the AWD.
I'm not convinced the RWD MY is made with 2170's. The peak charge rate of 170 kW (indicated on Tesla's website) seems to indicate LFP. That's typically the fastest they charge, compared with 250 kW for the 2170/4680's. It also seems unlikely they would build the RWD with 2 different battery packs.

I'm not convinced the RWD MY is made with 2170's. The peak charge rate of 170 kW (indicated on Tesla's website) seems to indicate LFP. That's typically the fastest they charge, compared with 250 kW for the 2170/4680's. It also seems unlikely they would build the RWD with 2 different battery packs.
Yes, all that points to LFP but the Tesla advisor helping me seems confident it is a 2170 battery.

It also seems unlikely they would build the RWD with 2 different battery packs.
Apparently, the 2170 pack for Model Y RWD is just like the 2170 Long Range pack but with fewer cells in it because they left some rows blank to reduce capacity. Tesla has done this before with the Model 3 SR RWD in 2020. It was also using 2170 cells.

CATL LFP cells come from China and they have a negative effect on tax credits. The critical minerals source country requirements will increase from 40% this year to 50% in 2024. That's at the fleet level, not for each car. Therefore using LFP for some cars is OK for now. I think Fremont will continue using CATL LFP for Model 3 RWD but they need to increase non-China-LFP use so LFP drops to a lower percentage of the fleet.