Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y RWD vin assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any features stripped? Speaker count, etc
Unlike the MY AWD (4680) which had all of the same features as the MYLR/MYP, they have taken a more traditional "partial premium" approach to the new MY RWD similar to the M3 RWD.

Missing:
  • 4 less speakers, 1 less amp, no subwoofer
  • Footwell lighting
  • Fog lights
  • Parcel shelf
My impressions from test drive:
  • Feels slow from starts but not bad once moving (30+ mph)
  • Speakers sounded pretty good with a touch less bass (I actually thought it had the same premium sound system until checking the specs)
  • New comfort suspension compared to my 22' MYLR didn't feel much better - still rough and jostles you quite a bit over road imperfections, might've been a little better on big dips in the road. I also test drove a M3 RWD and the suspension seemed much smoother in comparison to MY.
They don't make it very easy to compare these features but this is from the descriptions of the interior features on the order configurator page:

Interior Features​

MY RWDMY LR

Audio and Media

Custom audio – 9 speakers, 1 amp, and immersive soundPremium audio – 13 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
Music and media over Bluetooth®Music and media over Bluetooth®
USB-A port in the glovebox with a 128GB portable storage device includedUSB-A port in the glovebox with a 128GB portable storage device included
ComfortPower adjustable front seatsPower adjustable front seats
Heated front and rear seatsHeated front and rear seats
Heated steering wheelHeated steering wheel
HEPA air filtration systemHEPA air filtration system
Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protectionTinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
Independent flat-fold rear seatsIndependent flat-fold rear seats
Interior floor matsInterior floor mats
ConveniencePower folding, auto-dimming, heated side mirrorsPower folding, auto-dimming, heated side mirrors
Custom driver profilesCustom driver profiles
Center console with storage, 4 USB-C ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphonesCenter console with storage, 4 USB-C ports and wireless charging for 2 smartphones
N/ALED fog lamps
N/AParcel Shelf

Reactions: alset3000
Unlike the MY AWD (4680) which had all of the same features as the MYLR/MYP, they have taken a more traditional "partial premium" approach to the new MY RWD similar to the M3 RWD.

Missing:
  • 4 less speakers, 1 less amp, no subwoofer
  • Footwell lighting
  • Fog lights
  • Parcel shelf
My impressions from test drive:
  • Feels slow from starts but not bad once moving (30+ mph)
  • Speakers sounded pretty good with a touch less bass (I actually thought it had the same premium sound system until checking the specs)
  • New comfort suspension compared to my 22' MYLR didn't feel much better - still rough and jostles you quite a bit over road imperfections, might've been a little better on big dips in the road. I also test drove a M3 RWD and the suspension seemed much smoother in comparison to MY.

I don't think what the configurator is showing is quite right. In the MY RWD I just picked up, the footwell lighting is present as is the subwoofer (I can hear and feel it by the passenger rear wheel well). You may have thought it had less bass because the speakers do need a little break in to loosen up when new. After a few hours, the speakers sounded better and the subwoofer produced more bass. I think given that Tesla calls the MY RWD interior "premium" like the other trims and only the M3 RWD interior is described as "partial premium", that they didn't cut anything from the MY RWD interior.

The fog lights are also present, but the screen UI to control them is hidden. They are hooked up though because they do light up during the light show. They can probably be accessed with 3rd party controls like the S3XY buttons.

The parcel shelf does seem to be missing for most, but I've seen at least one report of a delivery including one.

I do agree that the acceleration feels slightly sluggish from the start. Maybe this explains why the 0-60 time is so much worse than the M3 RWD. Mine came with the 980 motor, so it must be a software tuning thing.

I don't think what the configurator is showing is quite right. In the MY RWD I just picked up, the footwell lighting is present as is the subwoofer (I can hear and feel it by the passenger rear wheel well). You may have thought it had less bass because the speakers do need a little break in to loosen up when new. After a few hours, the speakers sounded better and the subwoofer produced more bass. I think given that Tesla calls the MY RWD interior "premium" like the other trims and only the M3 RWD interior is described as "partial premium", that they didn't cut anything from the MY RWD interior.

The fog lights are also present, but the screen UI to control them is hidden. They are hooked up though because they do light up during the light show. They can probably be accessed with 3rd party controls like the S3XY buttons.

The parcel shelf does seem to be missing for most, but I've seen at least one report of a delivery including one.

I do agree that the acceleration feels slightly sluggish from the start. Maybe this explains why the 0-60 time is so much worse than the M3 RWD. Mine came with the 980 motor, so it must be a software tuning thing.
How are you managing the charge? Using 10 to 80% or higher? Therefore range 260x0.7 or 182 miles

I may have misremembered the missing footwell lighting and the descriptions do not mention anything about it so I'll edit that out if I can.

However, the speaker is definitely different. The MY RWD demo vehicle I drove had 2k miles so I don't think break-in was an issue. It does have an amp so you hear noticable bass but you can confirm that it's missing a subwoofer by playing a bass-heavy song and checking the passenger-side trunk area where it is usually located. Noticeable difference when compared to my MYLR.

How are you managing the charge? Using 10 to 80% or higher? Therefore range 260x0.7 or 182 miles
Only have a couple hundred miles so far, so don't have much of a feel for range. However a couple of owners have mentioned that the efficiency was better than expected. Also, check out my other thread on the RWD having the LR battery. It may not actually be the same battery as the LR, but it is bigger than needed for the range and limited artificially. So you can charge to 90% or possibly even 100% without excessive wear.

I may have misremembered the missing footwell lighting and the descriptions do not mention anything about it so I'll edit that out if I can.

However, the speaker is definitely different. The MY RWD demo vehicle I drove had 2k miles so I don't think break-in was an issue. It does have an amp so you hear noticable bass but you can confirm that it's missing a subwoofer by playing a bass-heavy song and checking the passenger-side trunk area where it is usually located. Noticeable difference when compared to my MYLR.
hmm, that's weird. Mine definitely has the sub because you can feel it vibrate when you put your hand over the area. Wonder if some builds have some things stripped out while others don't? Also, I seem to recall some early owners saying that they didn't have the fog lights, while it seems like recent deliveries do.

Can anyone confirm size of battery yet. Any regrets of current RWD owners with purchase? Some LR inventory models year end are now only $2-5k increase in premium over RWD. The RWD is an enigma, 48A LR charger with SR SC 170kW charging speeds.

Reactions: vickh
This RWD will be a lease for my daughter to be a bridge vehicle waiting for rhe M2
;)
I am purchasing for 83 yo mother who wants a red w/white interior Y. It pains me to get less range and single drivetrain for almost the same $$ as a base LR. RWD ends up being $6K cheaper vs the LR equivalent, due to qualifying for state incentives. My father also has a unicorn RWD TMY offered for 1 month in 2021. He has never SC, and the range is 230 mi at 100% (16k miles).