Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 MS range!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven my new MS about 750 miles to date (~driven during the past 3 weeks). My average Wh/miles is 220..... this equates to 454 miles on full charge based on that number. I have TeslaFi as well as the Tesla software both showing a similar average. Tracking the kWh charged vs miles driven also gets similar average.

Am pretty impressed by the range despite the fact many youtubers, magazines, and also forums claiming that Tesla had over-estimated their range. At this rate, am super happy with my MS. I have to admit that I am yet to drive enough highway miles during those 700 miles.

Note: I drive on 19" wheels, with covers removed, and pressure set low (in purpose) to 36-37 PSI for comfort. I don't race my car that much but I do accelerate more than the average person, like any EV driver.

Last edited:
Sounds about right, but you must have been on a predominantly flat or downhill trip, not going faster than 65.

No, this is a combination of over 50-60 different trips, and a little less than a month of continued average (with a ton of short 10 miles trips that needs AC work hard to get car temp to temperature). There is no way they are all on a hill trip because it is all city driving back and forth through various routes (work, home, downtown, etc). True that I did not exceed 65 MPH, but every day I pass through a 55 MPH shout route, rest of 90% of my routes are averaging 40 MPH, driving 45 MPH.

No, this is a combination of over 50-60 different trips, and a little less than a month of continued average (with a ton of short 10 miles trips that needs AC work hard to get car temp to temperature). There is no way they are all on a hill trip because it is all city driving back and forth through various routes (work, home, downtown, etc). True that I did not exceed 65 MPH, but every day I pass through a 55 MPH shout route, rest of 90% of my routes are averaging 40 MPH, driving 45 MPH.
You are a hypermile expert then! I have a plaid, and Im impressed with it's efficiency compared to my '14 MS and '15 85D. The plaid is more efficient, and I drive it like I stole it. Floor it once per drive at least 🤣

You are a hypermile expert then! I have a plaid, and Im impressed with it's efficiency compared to my '14 MS and '15 85D. The plaid is more efficient, and I drive it like I stole it. Floor it once per drive at least 🤣
Not sure if am hypermile, but yes, I do NOT floor it... I drive just like a normal guy. Also, I drive it on sport mode, never ever see the value in the Insane mode (way too much for my linking). Sport is more than enough. With that said, the Tesla based on these estimates actually does actually what they promised or even more as far as mileage. I will drive it next week over a 4-hour non-stop route back and forth and will see what mileage I'd get on highways. Getting full PPF Monday, so I should be ready for highways by end of week : )

With only 750 total miles on the car in 50 to 60 trips, no highway miles. I’m not sure you’ve got a good average yet. Like to hear about your 4 hour non-stop trip next week.

I don’t track my mileage because 80mph is my friend on a 48 mile commute at 3:30am, I commute home at noon. I tried going 65mph to track my mileage, that lasted until the end of the on ramp. I’m weak, just can’t do it.

With only 750 total miles on the car in 50 to 60 trips, no highway miles. I’m not sure you’ve got a good average yet. Like to hear about your 4 hour non-stop trip next week.

I don’t track my mileage because 80mph is my friend on a 48 mile commute at 3:30am, I commute home at noon. I tried going 65mph to track my mileage, that lasted until the end of the on ramp. I’m weak, just can’t do it.

I'll report back. I think I trust my current mileage averages for in-town because majority of my trips are showing a very consistent average per trip, that is really close to the overall average. In other words, the standard deviation of my average is small, lol. Curious how that average would change for highway routes.

I always laugh when I see range mentioned in specifications on Tesla vehicles.

I recently went on a one thousand mile trip from Florida to Maryland. I mostly traveled on I95 and used auto pilot set at a speed of 80 mph. I left Florida with the battery charged to 100 % and let Tesla navigation select when it was necessary to charge, 235 miles. Not the 410 miles advertised.

The total trip was a little over 2000 miles with about 80% of the driving at 80mph. The Tesla Trips said the average wh/mile was 286. The cost for charging at supercharges was about $100. If you have a gas car that gets 30 mpg and gas costs 3$ per gallon that would be $100. My Audi gets 30 mpg at 80 mph.

I have over 16000 miles on the Tesla and the Trip computes the average wh/m at 280. My first Tesla was a 2017 S 100D I traded it last year for a new S. As I remember my 2017 S averaged around 300 wh/m.