Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN hasn't disappeared, in fact it is now showing up in my account online and in the app. The ship however, has disappeared or at least its current location has on all the free vessel trackers. Hoegh Chiba's location hasn't updated in over 24 hours.
I've just checked on my (enhanced) tracker and she is alive and well in the South China Sea doing 17.7kts towards Singapore. I'm not sure why she is still not appearing on the website....

UPDATE: She's showing now!

Last edited:
As each day goes by I think it looks like it may well be - would a departure around 10th feb from Shanghai be the latest date for arrival by the end of Q1?
No, we have had much later departures than that in the past.
Up until the last quarter Tesla operated on a business model that attempted to deliver every car made in that quarter.
It was a very successful model that made quaterly balance sheets a joy for Wall St and ensured good cash flow. It had disadvantages too - it was very hard on Tesla employees who globally had an end-of-quarter rush and the cost of sale was higher on the basis of 'no expense spared' to achieve deliveries by quarter end. (Tesla had very specific hard dates for shippers to achieve and so ended up paying top-dollar rates for ship charters)
At the end of last quarter, domestic sales in China slumped (probably because of the pandemic) but despite Tesla incentives (free charging etc) the market was swamped and so production was shifted to EU models. This caused sensational financial headlines "Tesla sitting on 71,000 unsold cars" which prompted demands from institutional investors for Tesla to take positive action, which lead to price cuts, which increased demand (which actually hadn't gone away but was just suppressed by the pandemic in China). Anyway, there is now huge demand in China (and a few broken windows at Tesla showrooms from very disgruntled buyers who lost out from the significant price cut!)
The move to straddle the quarter-end was always going to be painful but it should be a once-only affair as long as you don't return to the "quarterly" model again. Despite the whopping price cut, China remains 'easy money' for Tesla and is the market to concentrate on if Tesla wish to send a message to Wall St short sellers who have done (too) well over the last year.
I watch with interest to see how Tesla play Q1 23.

Up until the last quarter Tesla operated on a business model that attempted to deliver every car made in that quarter.
It was a very successful model that made quaterly balance sheets a joy for Wall St and ensured good cash flow. It had disadvantages too - it was very hard on Tesla employees who globally had an end-of-quarter rush and the cost of sale was higher on the basis of 'no expense spared' to achieve deliveries by quarter end. (Tesla had very specific hard dates for shippers to achieve and so ended up paying top-dollar rates for ship charters)
At the end of last quarter, domestic sales in China slumped (probably because of the pandemic) but despite Tesla incentives (free charging etc) the market was swamped and so production was shifted to EU models. This caused sensational financial headlines "Tesla sitting on 71,000 unsold cars" which prompted demands from institutional investors for Tesla to take positive action, which lead to price cuts, which increased demand (which actually hadn't gone away but was just suppressed by the pandemic in China). Anyway, there is now huge demand in China (and a few broken windows at Tesla showrooms from very disgruntled buyers who lost out from the significant price cut!)
The move to straddle the quarter-end was always going to be painful but it should be a once-only affair as long as you don't return to the "quarterly" model again. Despite the whopping price cut, China remains 'easy money' for Tesla and is the market to concentrate on if Tesla wish to send a message to Wall St short sellers who have done (too) well over the last year.
hey, any news on M3 from shg to ashdod? 2 days ago ordering to feb mar was closed and i recived a email to sign the car to my name, i think thats a sign that the ship departed shg, EDD 7-21 mar, any way it will be early?

Hi @AJBassMan , I am also in the UK and ordered via a lease company ( Model Y RWD in blue ). Tesla confirmed the order on 30th Jan and gave me an order reference then. My window is Feb - March. The lease company have been chasing Tesla for me as I am due to hand back my lease car end of their month so trying to figure out whether to extend. Looking at the other posts here seems likely it will definitely be March. I am going to give them a call myself on Monday as the info you received would be really helpful to allow me to plan what to do with current car. Assume you just called the normal Tesla number ?
Correct the normal Tesla number.

From experience Mr Miserable, what is the latest departure from Shanghai that you have seen to fulfil end of quarter deliveries to the UK? As in how many days before the quarter end would you be expecting to see a ship set sail? Appreciate the detail in your post.

From experience Mr Miserable, what is the latest departure from Shanghai that you have seen to fulfil end of quarter deliveries to the UK? As in how many days before the quarter end would you be expecting to see a ship set sail? Appreciate the detail in your post.
Depends how far you want to go back but I would say the 16 Feb would be the happy medium. We have seen as late as 21st.

Reactions: AJBassMan
Depends how far you want to go back but I would say the 16 Feb would be the happy medium. We have seen as late as 21st.
Whilst I know nothing about the shipping movements, I would agree that another ship is likely this quarter as you can still order a Model Y on the Tesla website for a Feb-March delivery window. My EDD is 19/03 to 31/03, I can’t imagine my car is on any of the ships already in transit as that would surely be too long a timeframe between docking in Southampton and collection.

Saturday 04 Feb 23 SUMMARY

MSC IMMACOLATA
ETA Southampton 09 Feb A very quick load at Shanghai South makes me think she may only have 2000-2500 cars at max onboard. Her arrival is now confirmed to be 09 Feb.

DONG-A GLAUCOS ETA Barcelona 09 Feb (Looks to be on same itinerary as BOHEME) She is now in the Med.

LAKE KIVU ETA Zeebrugge 17 Feb. Still looking to be on schedule.

GRAND MARK ETA Southampton 16 Feb. Currently enroute to Suez ETA 07 Feb.

HOEGH TRAPPER ETA Zeebrugge 22 Feb

HOEGH CHIBA ETA Zeebrugge 02 Mar. Shipment of RHD for Ireland confirmed to be onboard. Now showing on the map!

I'm keeping my eye on RCC PASSION at the moment. She departed Taicang yesterday for Suez. I would have expected to see a UK-bound ship to be departing around now but nothing is moving from Shanghai South yet. The latest WuWa video (02 Feb) shows only LHD assembling there.

Coming the other way is DREAM ORCHID Zeebrugge - Taipei (8 Feb) After unloading in Taipei she is scheduled to load in Shanghai and return to Zeebrugge.

You can follow the ships on this map. It is quite unique in that it is free despite being updated via satellite with the latest data available, unlike others on the internet with 'periodic' updates.

My VIN is still on my Tesla Account are you sure it has gone? is the original VIN still available on the Hoegh inventory site?
Had an email from Tesla earlier and they confirmed March delivery which ties in with The Hoegh Chiba date. VIN isn't visible on app or account at the moment but one has been assigned so should reappear next week 😁

M3P silver/black ordered 21st October in the UK. Delivery estimate has always been 1st March but still no text or VIN from Tesla.

So I text them for an update and this was their reply: "Hi, we are expecting your delivery to be in 1st week of march. We are just confirming the final logistics and will then be in touch to confirm. Regards, Tesla".

Assuming 1st week of March to be true, does this mean my car is already on the water and if so any guess as to which vessel?

Thanks.

M3P silver/black ordered 21st October in the UK. Delivery estimate has always been 1st March but still no text or VIN from Tesla.

So I text them for an update and this was their reply: "Hi, we are expecting your delivery to be in 1st week of march. We are just confirming the final logistics and will then be in touch to confirm. Regards, Tesla".

Assuming 1st week of March to be true, does this mean my car is already on the water and if so any guess as to which vessel?

Thanks.
Almost certainly already on the way! You have a choice of 2 ships but GRAND MARK looks favourite.

Had an email from Tesla earlier and they confirmed March delivery which ties in with The Hoegh Chiba date. VIN isn't visible on app or account at the moment but one has been assigned so should reappear next week 😁
My fingers are crossed. Ordered on 19/01/23, when did you order yours? Web site still says Feb-Mar, but no VIN as at this morning