Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I have a VIN for Model S LR in Belgium, Sales advisor said it was waiting in Baltimore (I have the VIN since early June) and delivery planned mid-August now.
Could you share three first digits of your VIN serial number?

I'm curious what VIN ranges are being shipped currently. I have had VIN514xxx since May 17th and delivery was pushed from July to September without no reason given. Hoegh tracking has not given any results and I'm trying to figure out if the car is still in Baltimore or just lost in Zeebrugge

@Mr Miserable This may be too soon to celebrate, but late yesterday evening, news came down that the Canadian federal Minister of Labour appointed a mediator to recommend terms of a settlement to the Vancouver strike within 24 hours (so, by tonight). The union and employers would then have another 24 hours to decide whether to accept and ratify those terms.

It's unclear what the government will do if the deal is rejected by either side, but it's a glimmer of hope, at the very least.

I had a question for you though - and you may not know the answer, but you are way more knowledgeable about marine operations than I am, so I feel like you're better equipped to hazard a guess.

If the strike is miraculously resolved in the next 24 to 36 hours, there will obviously be a period of time required for port operations to get running again. But in terms of clearing the backlog of ships currently waiting, do you think they would go 'first come first serve', or are they more likely to unload ships based on how quickly that cargo can be put onto trucks or trains?

I ask because, looking at the map on VesselFinder, I can see a few vehicles carriers waiting off the coast of Vancouver (in order of originally planned arrival date):
  • VIKING SEA
  • LAPIS ARROW
  • HEROIC ACE* (diverted to Seattle, unknown if she'll come back)
  • GLOVIS SPLENDOR
  • VIKING QUEEN
  • MORNING MARGARETA
    • This one hasn't arrived yet, but she's due to arrive on Sunday
I guess my question is more around the fact that only VIKING SEA and MORNING MARGARETA will be carrying Tesla vehicles. The Port of Vancouver has two auto terminals, one in Richmond and one on Annacis Island in Delta/New Westminster.

Are they likely to unload the two Tesla ships in sequence (either before or after the other car carriers) and get all the vehicles onto trains in a combined fashion?
I don't know the answer - a lot will depend on the handling agent and what can be arranged at short notice. Additionally, some shipping companies have more clout than others at certain ports and are not shy about throwing their weight around to achieve a queue jump. (eg Grimaldi in Southampton seem to be always given preference over others, but maybe that is just my mistaken impression)

I don't know the answer - a lot will depend on the handling agent and what can be arranged at short notice. Additionally, some shipping companies have more clout than others at certain ports and are not shy about throwing their weight around to achieve a queue jump. (eg Grimaldi in Southampton seem to be always given preference over others, but maybe that is just my mistaken impression)
Makes sense - according to the Port of Vancouver website, Wallenius Wilhelmsen operates both the auto terminals. And they happen to own an 80% stake in EUKOR, which is the joint venture that owns the MORNING MARGARETA... so fingers crossed!! 🤣

They are probably going to force them to do binding mediation arbitration, if they reject the deal.
They're trying their hardest to resolve this without forcing the union workers back to work. Let's hope this deal coming in the next couple of days sticks! It's more than us getting our Teslas. Inflation is going to go up because of this, and many small businesses are threatened if they can't get their shipments. It's going to have an effect on the economy until probably the end of the year.

1D9F06F1-7051-46EE-9D4D-D35CF98FC8D1.jpeg

May be the day!

I understand the union and port workers go on strike for a fair wage and power, but they’re dragging 99% of the Canadians down with them. When the strike ends, these port workers gets to go back to work. But what about millions people who got fired or laid-off because of this strike? Isn’t it unfair for them also? Especially when they make less than half the salary that port workers make and can’t afford to lose a job. They should just fire the port workers who don’t want to work and hire the younters who just got out of school. I know many young people who are willing to replace the the port works because right now its tough to find a job in Canada even if you have a degree. These youngsters would be grateful to at least have a job at the port unlike these ungrateful port workers who mostly didn’t even have a college degree yet demand to be paid more than many government jobs.

Buenas tardes señor Miserable, quisiera informarle un par de novedades.

El barco TIJUCA está cargando en Baltimore y creo que está atracado en uno de los muelles donde se cargan los Tesla, pero eso lo sabes mejor que yo para confirmarlo. Su destino es Bremerhaven el 28 de julio.

Por otro lado, acabo de ver en la programación del puerto de Barcelona que el GRANDE MIRAFIORI llegará el 28 de julio, aunque creo que lo hará el 30 de julio, ya que su llegada al Canal de Suez será el 25 de julio. . de julio.

¿Qué opinas?

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_211028.jpg
    IMG_20230712_211028.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Good afternoon Mr. Miserable, I would like to inform you about a couple of news.

The TIJUCA ship is loading in Baltimore and I believe it is docked at one of the docks where Teslas are loaded, but you know that better than I do to confirm it. Its destination is Bremerhaven on July 23.

On the other hand, I have just seen in the programming of the port of Barcelona that the GRANDE MIRAFIORI will arrive on July 28, although I think it will do so on July 30, since its arrival at the Suez Canal will be on July 25. of July.

What do you think?

Wow! There was me thinking my car was on there, they definitely won’t stick to my Aug 3rd delivery at this rate! 😳

hopefully they accept the contracts by tonight 🤞
I expect they will take every minute of that 24 hours lol, unless the settlement is somehow too good to reject.

To all my fellow Canadians 🇨🇦, let's move this discussion to the Canada Waiting Room thread, and keep this thread confined to shipping movements. Our friends in other countries are tracking ship movements too, so we can post back here if there's a significant update on the strike. :)

Buenas tardes señor Miserable, quisiera informarle un par de novedades.

El barco TIJUCA está cargando en Baltimore y creo que está atracado en uno de los muelles donde se cargan los Tesla, pero eso lo sabes mejor que yo para confirmarlo. Su destino es Bremerhaven el 28 de julio.

Por otro lado, acabo de ver en la programación del puerto de Barcelona que el GRANDE MIRAFIORI llegará el 28 de julio, aunque creo que lo hará el 30 de julio, ya que su llegada al Canal de Suez será el 25 de julio. . de julio.

¿Qué opinas?
You can forget TIJUCA - wrong berth in Zeebrugge.
GRANDE MIRAFIORI is a surprise.
I don't think she can be unloading completely in Barcelona though because of the short time (14hrs) she is spending in port. She spent about 36hrs loading in Shanghai.
So there is still some hope that she may continue on to Southampton afterwards.

Thanks for posting the info.

I understand the union and port workers go on strike for a fair wage and power, but they’re dragging 99% of the Canadians down with them. When the strike ends, these port workers gets to go back to work. But what about millions people who got fired or laid-off because of this strike? Isn’t it unfair for them also? Especially when they make less than half the salary that port workers make and can’t afford to lose a job. They should just fire the port workers who don’t want to work and hire the younters who just got out of school. I know many young people who are willing to replace the the port works because right now its tough to find a job in Canada even if you have a degree. These youngsters would be grateful to at least have a job at the port unlike these ungrateful port workers who mostly didn’t even have a college degree yet demand to be paid more than many government jobs.
Unfortunately their employer didn’t want to deal with the issues before it came to a strike.