Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1691218042639.jpeg

“The Ioniq 5 N will produce 601 horsepower and 545 pound-feet of torque—and it has something called N Grin Boost that raises output to 641 hp.“

MSRP should be around $63k.

Anyone else pumped about this performance EV? I haven’t seen any other EV compelling enough to make me want to upgrade from my 2019 M3P at a close price point. Based on the numbers, it should be a high 10 second car on the 1/4 mile given Kia EV6 GT owners are hitting low 11s with 70 less hp.

It will have a 84-kwh battery.

Comes with forged wheels, big brakes, and racing seats from the factory.

It also makes artificial noises 😅
“The Ioniq 5 N's "N Active Sound+" feature uses 10 interior speakers and two exterior ones to simulate the rumble of a gas engine and exhaust both inside and outside the vehicle. There are a few different sound profiles available, including a "Supersonic" theme that Hyundai said was inspired by fighter jets.”

Here’s to hoping Elon ups the ante with a Plaid Model 3 or at least a more powerful M3P or else I may be switching over to Hyundai in the next few years.

Its about 25 less than a MYP, for a lot more performance. Thats a trade I was okay with.
What is $25k less than a MYP? You can barely get a base Honda Civic for $25k less than an MYP currently. Base price is $54.5k and eligible for the full $7500 tax credit making it a $47k net cost... There are inventory MYP for less than $50k in my area currently making them under $45k net.

I think the Model Y is an ugly car from the outside, sort a a weird vertically stretched Model 3 with a bulbous head. But the interior is nice and spacious with a nice layout. I think it is a real stretch to say the Hyundai/Kia offerings are a better value right now.

What is $25k less than a MYP? You can barely get a base Honda Civic for $25k less than an MYP currently. Base price is $54.5k and eligible for the full $7500 tax credit making it a $47k net cost... There are inventory MYP for less than $50k in my area currently making them under $45k net.

I think the Model Y is an ugly car from the outside, sort a a weird vertically stretched Model 3 with a bulbous head. But the interior is nice and spacious with a nice layout. I think it is a real stretch to say the Hyundai/Kia offerings are a better value right now.
25 miles less range

Yeah, Tesla is the value king, but if you want a nicer, more performance oriented car, the GT or 5n are it.
I guess time will tell when we can see some lap times head to head and see what the specs on the "highland" P3D (if there is one). I know a stock P3D did pretty well on Top Gear and other similar track tests so it would be interesting to see if the 5n stock is faster. I spent like $5k on rims and suspension for my P3D but maybe the stock 5n would be comparable to my modified P3D without having to modify it and potentially void the warranty.

I guess time will tell when we can see some lap times head to head and see what the specs on the "highland" P3D (if there is one). I know a stock P3D did pretty well on Top Gear and other similar track tests so it would be interesting to see if the 5n stock is faster. I spent like $5k on rims and suspension for my P3D but maybe the stock 5n would be comparable to my modified P3D without having to modify it and potentially void the warranty.
Every lap time head to head I've seen of the GT vs the current M3P the GT stomps a mudhole in it. For the drag strip, my times are similar (better than some/worse than others) to what M3P owners on this site are posting. There IS a much larger aftermarket for the M3P though, regarding suspension and so forth, so it's conceivable that a "built" M3P could "ultimately" lay down better numbers around a track, but it would probably have significantly less ground clearance and be much harder to live with on the daily.

This is around the Knutstorpin, and also some ICE cars for comparison:

1695711859427.png

1695711910403.png

Every lap time head to head I've seen of the GT vs the current M3P the GT stomps a mudhole in it. For the drag strip, my times are similar (better than some/worse than others) to what M3P owners on this site are posting. There IS a much larger aftermarket for the M3P though, regarding suspension and so forth, so it's conceivable that a "built" M3P could "ultimately" lay down better numbers around a track, but it would probably have significantly less ground clearance and be much harder to live with on the daily.
It'll be interesting to see. There just isn't a lot of lap time info out there yet honestly the one you posted in German is the only thing I have been able to find. I believe you on the quarter mile based on the testing numbers I have seen... the P3D seems slightly faster off the line but the EV6 is pulling hard at the end with a higher trap speed. I ran 11.6 all night when I went to the strip but my best trap was 118 where I have seen the GT getting closer to 120. It is just kind of splitting hairs at that point they both provide supercar level performance but it is nice to know I'd take one at a stoplight haha.

I can't see Elon letting Hyundai outdo Tesla so I am hoping for some upgrades on the highland performance model. Hopefully we find out about that soon. I agree with you though, the Hyundai/Kia offerings are legit competitors and worthy of consideration. I will definitely test drive the Ioniq N if it is possible to do so.

It'll be interesting to see. There just isn't a lot of lap time info out there yet honestly the one you posted in German is the only thing I have been able to find. I believe you on the quarter mile based on the testing numbers I have seen... the P3D seems slightly faster off the line but the EV6 is pulling hard at the end with a higher trap speed. I ran 11.6 all night when I went to the strip but my best trap was 118 where I have seen the GT getting closer to 120. It is just kind of splitting hairs at that point they both provide supercar level performance but it is nice to know I'd take one at a stoplight haha.

I can't see Elon letting Hyundai outdo Tesla so I am hoping for some upgrades on the highland performance model. Hopefully we find out about that soon. I agree with you though, the Hyundai/Kia offerings are legit competitors and worthy of consideration. I will definitely test drive the Ioniq N if it is possible to do so.
This is my best pass.
1695734235568.png

1695734248267.png

Random sampling:

1695734226162.png

I did find a video of the M3P vs. EV6 GT vs 911 4S on a track. The MYP managed 2:05-7's, the 911 4S managed 1:57-59, and the GT managed 1:59-2:02s (going by memory there). But that's a LONG slog of a video in a foreign language. If you really want to watch it though...

Keep in mind your M3P is a 4000# car about the size of a Honda Civic and the EV6 GT is a 5000# Wagon/SUV about the size of a slammed Acura RDX. The MYP is the natural competitor, but it isn't anywhere close, so we have to look to the M3P for that even if it's a huge miss-match in utility. So yes, if the new Highland gets more power/handling, that will be cool, but it's still comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
Keep in mind your M3P is a 4000# car about the size of a Honda Civic and the EV6 GT is a 5000# Wagon/SUV about the size of a slammed Acura RDX. The MYP is the natural competitor, but it isn't anywhere close, so we have to look to the M3P for that even if it's a huge miss-match in utility. So yes, if the new Highland gets more power/handling, that will be cool, but it's still comparing apples to oranges.
Fair point but I have no interest in a crossover/SUV so from my perspective that extra space really isn't a bonus and the extra weight is a definite negative. Those are also both ugly cars in my opinion. Looks are subjective, of course, but the MYP is a stretched bulbous looking Model 3 and the EV6 looks like a Nissan Leaf with a weird butt. I am just trying to ballpark what the Ioniq N might do using the GT as a proxy since the drivetrain is likely very similar if not the same.

Fair point but I have no interest in a crossover/SUV so from my perspective that extra space really isn't a bonus and the extra weight is a definite negative. Those are also both ugly cars in my opinion. Looks are subjective, of course, but the MYP is a stretched bulbous looking Model 3 and the EV6 looks like a Nissan Leaf with a weird butt. I am just trying to ballpark what the Ioniq N might do using the GT as a proxy since the drivetrain is likely very similar if not the same.
The drivetrain is different. Different cooling, different suspension, different battery chemistry, different tires (way wider, lower profile), more power. It's going to probably be a hair faster than the GT in a straight line, but notably better on the track as handling is its main goal. Basically, it's going to skulldrag anything Tesla makes until you get to Plaid territory, and even then on a shorter track it will probably win due to superior handling.

Since I have pets, and want ground clearance for winter, washed out roads, etc. I set the minimum ground clearance at 6" and want a hatch or something for my dog, should he need to go to the vet.

The GT is H/K's daily driver with some power. The N is their track weapon.

As far as the GT's look, it kinda has grown on me.

1695740050172.png

1695740107311.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark_Kent
Personally, I really hope the N74 concept happens.
I'd never buy one as it won't work for me, but I'd just love for it to exist. That's one thing I really like about Kia, they do what they want. The GT is a perfect example of that. They crammed 21K rpm motors and a boatload of power into an EV and then programmed in a drift mode, ability to remove traction control, all sorts of nonsense and then gave all the cars to press people and said "Track the hell out of it and have fun!" Hyundai motorgroup has insanely deep wallets and an absolute childishness to them that makes me think the mad lads will do it!

strong talk considering I didn't start this thread. 80% is fine. You're clueless. The range on the GT is about 20 to 30mi less than the slower MYP. Plenty for most.

Just for giggles, what do you charge the battery to? Why?
Lol I'm clueless. Haha go back to kia forum. Look at degradation curve for your cells and you'll get the answer.

I charge to 55% unless needed more.

Plenty for most sure. Let's connect once the degradation hits.

The ev6 gt will handle up on an M3P at a track. I can't imagine the Ioniq5N wouldn't be the same story. Remember, Albert Biermann designed these suspensions and they have an eLSD, as well. Its a very capable system.

As far as acceleration, the M3P should edge it out 0-80, but as it runs out of breath the Kia will walk on by. They turn similar 1/4 mile times but typically the Kia has higher trap speeds. Past the 1/4 mile the lead just grows.

Part of my bias is that I own the car. However, I chose to spend more to get it, and looked very hard at the MYP before choosing to spend more. NACS was the only benefit I saw, and in the Midwest where I live, we have CCS and NACS in near identical locations and abundance 99% of my charging is at home.

View attachment 971651
Haha, you keep arguing here. Why don't you go back to your kia forum and enjoy your crap.

You either paid or simply dumb troll. None of us go to kia so why you here, you never answer.?

Haha, you keep arguing here. Why don't you go back to your kia forum and enjoy your crap.

You either paid or simply dumb troll. None of us go to kia so why you here, you never answer.?
Wasn't me who started a thread about Kia on your forum, now was it?

Also...please refrain from calling my car "crap" when you make posts like this:

Im taking apart my interior of 22 m3p and it was build by amateurs. Let's not pretend tesla doesn't have a large build quality issue. Fanboys can keep lying to themselves and it's ok.
I have 22 M3P and it's bad. I let the manager have it at the service center and he said he can't argue this.
I've had nothing but issues myself with my model 3p that i picked up in June 2022. Build quality, panel gaps and paint. Regular stuff. I got pretty upset recently and let the manager have it. He told me straight up that he won't even argue that build quality is TRASH and told me off record to keep complaining and post videos online. That tells you tesla doesn't care.

On here, fanboys are brain-dead and will swallow anything Elon fraud says. You won't ever change these 🤡.

Enjoy YOUR crap, good sir. My body panels line up, I have no wind noise, the car rides great with adjustable suspension, and the fit and finish is impeccable. I suspect that the Ionic 5N will be the same.

You see how nicely this all lines up? Gucci!
1695803581035.png

1695803658472.png

You're bitter. You clicked on a thread about H/K cars and are talking trash when we know that you are:

1) Driving a car that is built by amateurs (according to you).
2) Have so much quality issue with your car that even the service rep agrees it's bad.
3) Are mad that Tesla has now dropped the value of your vehicle precipitously (I suspect you are angry because you now feel "trapped" in it by your pathetic trade value vs. MSRP you paid).
4) Only own a Tesla for their fast charging network.

So you click on this thread, which is about Kia/Hyundai, and come here talking trash to me with your car shaped parts collection. Nice try mate. Go see what Carvana will give you for it so you can get into the BMW you are so hard over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark_Kent
Lol I'm clueless. Haha go back to kia forum. Look at degradation curve for your cells and you'll get the answer.

I charge to 55% unless needed more.

Plenty for most sure. Let's connect once the degradation hits.
So far there is no meaningful degradation to speak of in cars with over 100K miles and people DC fast charging often. Tesla recommends 90%, btw. That said, sure, keeping it 45-55% is optimal, of course, but not doing so hasn't caused a tangible issue for the Ionic/EV6 crowd out to the 50-100K mile span, so far.

I have 15K miles on my GT so far, and have not seen any issues. I use the same % of battery on my daily commute as I did when new (about 30-33%, putting me at 47-50% upon arriving home).

We don't really have issues with degradation, is my point, and plenty of tests have been run by now from those like mine at low miles and "same usage, so I guess it's good", to draining/filling battery and measuring SoC of individual cells and all that jazz.

An example is this man, 10K miles, near 100% DC fast charging, and he has a degradation of about 1%.

Then this guy doing a more "real world/functional" test. Over 40K miles he managed to lose 3 miles in real world range.

We have a thread going on the Kia forum and we are seeing stuff like 1-3% degradation max on the higher mile 2022 cars (50k mi+) with typical use patterns. This really isn't meaningful in a functional sense.

What kind of degradation are you Tesla owners seeing? Degradation just isn't an issue for eGMP owners. It's a well designed battery pack. I am sure Tesla doesn't have issues, either. Why are you so cautious with it? Is the @5 mile range loss over 50K miles really a big deal to you enough to limit your range to 2/3 of what others are doing?

Last edited:
As far as the GT's look, it kinda has grown on me.

View attachment 977322
I really can't get on board with that but I realize looks are subjective. Mine is lowered, but I just think my P3D looks way better.

1354931d-cd7f-4f32-9e52-8ca5812ba13d-jpeg.867611

You make a compelling case for the Hyundai/Kia otherwise though. I don't know why people are giving you sh*t about talking about another EV in the "Discussion about Electric Vehicles other than Tesla Motors" part of the forum. That is kind of what this is for.

As far as looks go, I do like the Ioniq 5 n... I have always been a fan of sporty hatches all the way back to my modified EG6 days. Though I have to say it doesn't "look" like a $65k car to me if I am being honest.

tpuwa0xfezothzmxwcqu

I really can't get on board with that but I realize looks are subjective. Mine is lowered, but I just think my P3D looks way better.

1354931d-cd7f-4f32-9e52-8ca5812ba13d-jpeg.867611

You make a compelling case for the Hyundai/Kia otherwise though. I don't know why people are giving you sh*t about talking about another EV in the "Discussion about Electric Vehicles other than Tesla Motors" part of the forum. That is kind of what this is for.

As far as looks go, I do like the Ioniq 5 n... I have always been a fan of sporty hatches all the way back to my modified EG6 days. Though I have to say it doesn't "look" like a $65k car to me if I am being honest.

tpuwa0xfezothzmxwcqu
I came from Volvo and Acura and Japanese Toyota and Mazda. I agree the Kias do not look worth their msrp, but having owned one, the quality is easily Japan level.

Im not really a brand fan. I bought the ev6 GT because it was literally the best thing out there under $75k in early 2023 regarding thermal management, driving dynamics, build quality, and infrastructure of the batterypack/motors. The BMW i4 m50 is a good competitor but doesn't have the ground clearance or the top end the GT does. The Tesla was a no go for me due to build quality, and lack of ground clearance in the 3, and lack of performance in the MY. The X Plaid was beyond what I wanted to spend. Injad a Volvo C40, and found it inferior to my Kia in every way except a slight nod to its chassis rigidity due to its shorter wheel base. The MB EV products don't excite me at all. Nor do Audi or VAG group in general.

The Kia had 21k rpm motors. Excellent regen braking (up to 320kw), excellent rack and pinion steering, very well tuned AWD logic, an LSD, adjustable dampers, and very solid tech package (HUD, 360 view, side cameras when lane changing, AA/ACP, battery preconditioning by GPS or manually for max performance, charges very rapidly). It also if you're into this, topped CRs charts for most reliable EV. The seats are excellent fake alcantara, and very supportive. It turns lap times way better than anything with over 6" of ground clearance should, turning lap times better than an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, for example. In short, nothing anywhere near its price could touch it. The V2L is cool too.

Looks as you note are entirely subjective, can't really comment there beyond that. I will say the car is extremely stable at any speed, and wind noise isnt a thing, so the looks can be functional.

Buddy is giving me lip because he hates the issues he has with his Tesla, so I'll rub some salt in that. Pull over so you can hear how quiet this is, Digital.

Last edited:
Wasn't me who started a thread about Kia on your forum, now was it?

Also...please refrain from calling my car "crap" when you make posts like this:

Enjoy YOUR crap, good sir. My body panels line up, I have no wind noise, the car rides great with adjustable suspension, and the fit and finish is impeccable. I suspect that the Ionic 5N will be the same.

You see how nicely this all lines up? Gucci!
View attachment 977521
View attachment 977522

You're bitter. You clicked on a thread about H/K cars and are talking trash when we know that you are:

1) Driving a car that is built by amateurs (according to you).
2) Have so much quality issue with your car that even the service rep agrees it's bad.
3) Are mad that Tesla has now dropped the value of your vehicle precipitously (I suspect you are angry because you now feel "trapped" in it by your pathetic trade value vs. MSRP you paid).
4) Only own a Tesla for their fast charging network.

So you click on this thread, which is about Kia/Hyundai, and come here talking trash to me with your car shaped parts collection. Nice try mate. Go see what Carvana will give you for it so you can get into the BMW you are so hard over.

Yeah, kia is crap. Nice little kia employee. I guess it sucks marker share is not there so you have to hire mouthpieces like yourself to go on forums.

So far there is no meaningful degradation to speak of in cars with over 100K miles and people DC fast charging often. Tesla recommends 90%, btw. That said, sure, keeping it 45-55% is optimal, of course, but not doing so hasn't caused a tangible issue for the Ionic/EV6 crowd out to the 50-100K mile span, so far.

I have 15K miles on my GT so far, and have not seen any issues. I use the same % of battery on my daily commute as I did when new (about 30-33%, putting me at 47-50% upon arriving home).

We don't really have issues with degradation, is my point, and plenty of tests have been run by now from those like mine at low miles and "same usage, so I guess it's good", to draining/filling battery and measuring SoC of individual cells and all that jazz.

An example is this man, 10K miles, near 100% DC fast charging, and he has a degradation of about 1%.

Then this guy doing a more "real world/functional" test. Over 40K miles he managed to lose 3 miles in real world range.

We have a thread going on the Kia forum and we are seeing stuff like 1-3% degradation max on the higher mile 2022 cars (50k mi+) with typical use patterns. This really isn't meaningful in a functional sense.

What kind of degradation are you Tesla owners seeing? Degradation just isn't an issue for eGMP owners. It's a well designed battery pack. I am sure Tesla doesn't have issues, either. Why are you so cautious with it? Is the @5 mile range loss over 50K miles really a big deal to you enough to limit your range to 2/3 of what others are doing?
So once again, why is crap kia/fakehonda is paying your to post.

2 data points. That's awesome. Let's see these batteries 5-10 years.

Did I hit a river employee nerve by calling these cars for what they're - crap?

One of us whines about how terrible our car is. The other enjoys our car. Go enjoy amateur hour at your Tesla service center and let the rest of us enjoy nice things. Make sure you drive slow so that trash doesn't whistle around the windows, lol!

Nice link to non-EV cars by Kia. Here's a link to EV cars by Tesla.

Find me one of a Kia eGMP car randomly catching fire. Go on, find it.

You know what's funny? You whine about my car all day, and haven't said a single good thing about yours. SO...what's good Elonboi? NACS and charging network up in Canada. Next? Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited: