Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1691218042639.jpeg

“The Ioniq 5 N will produce 601 horsepower and 545 pound-feet of torque—and it has something called N Grin Boost that raises output to 641 hp.“

MSRP should be around $63k.

Anyone else pumped about this performance EV? I haven’t seen any other EV compelling enough to make me want to upgrade from my 2019 M3P at a close price point. Based on the numbers, it should be a high 10 second car on the 1/4 mile given Kia EV6 GT owners are hitting low 11s with 70 less hp.

It will have a 84-kwh battery.

Comes with forged wheels, big brakes, and racing seats from the factory.

It also makes artificial noises 😅
“The Ioniq 5 N's "N Active Sound+" feature uses 10 interior speakers and two exterior ones to simulate the rumble of a gas engine and exhaust both inside and outside the vehicle. There are a few different sound profiles available, including a "Supersonic" theme that Hyundai said was inspired by fighter jets.”

Here’s to hoping Elon ups the ante with a Plaid Model 3 or at least a more powerful M3P or else I may be switching over to Hyundai in the next few years.

Fair point but I have no interest in a crossover/SUV so from my perspective that extra space really isn't a bonus and the extra weight is a definite negative. Those are also both ugly cars in my opinion. Looks are subjective, of course, but the MYP is a stretched bulbous looking Model 3 and the EV6 looks like a Nissan Leaf with a weird butt. I am just trying to ballpark what the Ioniq N might do using the GT as a proxy since the drivetrain is likely very similar if not the same.
I THINK THE M3 IS UGLY AND THE MY LOOKS BETTER like a mini mx. The ev6 looks cool but its hyandai and they are not the greatest cars.

The entire E-GMP line (Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6, Kia EV6 and Genesis GV60) all have a few issues,
1) ICCU failures
2) 12v battery goes dead
3) Charge port overheats level 2 charging at 40 amps and higher
I finally sold my Ioniq 6 at a loss because of the charge port overheat issue. The car reduces charge current drastically once the charge port overheats which causes the charge session to take 2-3 times longer than advertised by Hyundai. Cars are advertised to handle 48 amps. Hyundai states my car was "operating as designed". By a safety standard I am sure it is operating as designed but 12-25 hours to charge as opposed to Hyundai's stated 7 hours 10 minutes is definitely not by design (10% to 100% SOC).

I traded a 2012 P85 for the Ioniq 6 and I regret the decision every day. The P85 was starting to have a few issues so I traded it in. My overall experience, not even including the charge post overheat issue I had, was that driving the car was like death by a thousand paper cuts. So many things that are automatic and taken for granted on the Tesla have to be manually performed on the Hyundai. Below is just a quick list of what the MS had over the Ioniq 6:

Useable frunk, remotely opening frunk, rear trunk opens completely not just small trunk, sound system with amp is much better than Bose, passive lock, no start button, no stop button, regenerative braking stays on every drive unless changed by user, user adjustable height air suspension, suspension height can be set to change automatically by location, can easily carry 900 LBS (cement board sheets) in trunk and air suspension automatically levels car, automatic garage door opening and closing by location, remote charge current changes by app, charge settings stay separate based on location, acceleration speed, reliable native fast charging network, built-in infotainment, charge port works at 48 amps level 2 and doesn't overheat, various stay-on HVAC modes, evolving OTA updates, excellent maps, routing with fairly accurate SOC at all locations, car will precondition by settings without being required to be plugged in, no app to start Supercharger, can just drive off after Supercharging without restarting car, can operate car fully with just the app, automatic wipers, easy entry, cloud based profiles that save nearly every car setting, profile can be applied in other models even Hertz rentals, key remote that is not huge, user-friendly gear selector, can go from R to D without hitting brake, charge door opens by touch of button on EVSE handle, charge door closes automatically (right when complete not several minutes later), detailed energy useage info, $100/day in Uber IF loaner Tesla is not available during service visit (not sure if this still exists or not), no dealers that don't have a clue about electrics...

I feel like such an idiot for not researching the E-GMP line further.

The entire E-GMP line (Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6, Kia EV6 and Genesis GV60) all have a few issues,
1) ICCU failures
2) 12v battery goes dead
3) Charge port overheats level 2 charging at 40 amps and higher
I finally sold my Ioniq 6 at a loss because of the charge port overheat issue. The car reduces charge current drastically once the charge port overheats which causes the charge session to take 2-3 times longer than advertised by Hyundai. Cars are advertised to handle 48 amps. Hyundai states my car was "operating as designed". By a safety standard I am sure it is operating as designed but 12-25 hours to charge as opposed to Hyundai's stated 7 hours 10 minutes is definitely not by design (10% to 100% SOC).
The ICCU and 12v failures have been addressed with software updates.

The charge port, I have seen people have issues with. My personal theory is that 40a charging gets it hot. Big leap, huh? Well, I took a laser temp gun to it, and compared it to my wall socket, a 14-50 Hubbell. They lasered the same temps. I think the issue is poor connection at the port juncture with certain j1772 connectors. I use a Grizzle and have found it to be very high quality, and have no issues charging at 40a. I also garage my car out of direct sunlight.

Granted, these are all things to weigh as downsides for sure, but then, noone yet makes an EV without downsides. The reason I chose H/Ks downsides, is that all of these parts are mix and match replaceable, and the cars are excellent otherwise.

The convenience features you liked on the Model S, in my opinion, are mainly things you expect from the price delta.

Ultimately though, EVs are in their infancy, and perfection doesn't exist yet, so you pick your priorities.

Anyone else pumped about this performance EV?

Bit late to this thread, but I'll add a comment overheard from a M3P owner seeing the car demo'd at this years Goodwood Festival of Speed.

"You can't do that in my Tesla Model 3 Performance"

Not sure exactly what he was referring to, but at the time the car was doing a series of 'static' displays. ie display in small area such as burnouts, doughnuts etc before moving onto the next set.

Just revisiting some range questions about the ev6 gt...
View attachment 979186

My commute is 80mi round, and 20mi rural highway at 55mph, 15mi 70-75mph freeway, and about 5mi of city/45mph.
Here's how that went. 100 to 19%. Looks like the estimated range was off by 2ish miles. So, roughly 250-255mi range for my commutes is what my GT offers if I keep to the 55 and 70-75mph speed limits.
20231004_054037.jpg

What are you all getting in MYP and M3P for real world range given a similar driving mix?

I still LOL at the "206mi" rating. The car also does 0-60 in under 3.2 seconds (at 85%SoC to boot!) instead of the 3.4 that Kia advertised. Kia underrated everything about the car.

What are you all getting in MYP and M3P for real world range given a similar driving mix?
I have an early 2020 Stealth Performance with either factory 18 aero wheels or 20" Tsportlines on the car depending on the time of year. I rarely take long trips and I usually keep it between 40% and 85% SOC so it is hard to say. What I can tell you is that I average 275wh/mi on the 20s and 255 wh/mi on the 18s. Assuming I am down to about 70 kWh usable capacity this projects out to about 255 mi on 20s and closer to 280 mi on the 18s with mixed city/hwy driving. Would be more like 275/300 when the car was brand new.

Reactions: Unobtanium