Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1691218042639.jpeg

“The Ioniq 5 N will produce 601 horsepower and 545 pound-feet of torque—and it has something called N Grin Boost that raises output to 641 hp.“

MSRP should be around $63k.

Anyone else pumped about this performance EV? I haven’t seen any other EV compelling enough to make me want to upgrade from my 2019 M3P at a close price point. Based on the numbers, it should be a high 10 second car on the 1/4 mile given Kia EV6 GT owners are hitting low 11s with 70 less hp.

It will have a 84-kwh battery.

Comes with forged wheels, big brakes, and racing seats from the factory.

It also makes artificial noises 😅
“The Ioniq 5 N's "N Active Sound+" feature uses 10 interior speakers and two exterior ones to simulate the rumble of a gas engine and exhaust both inside and outside the vehicle. There are a few different sound profiles available, including a "Supersonic" theme that Hyundai said was inspired by fighter jets.”

Here’s to hoping Elon ups the ante with a Plaid Model 3 or at least a more powerful M3P or else I may be switching over to Hyundai in the next few years.

What about the price difference and putting that money into and abundance of aftermarket support that the 5N doesn’t have and likely won’t? And the massive weight difference? So Yeah…like I said we shall see!
Absolutely the price difference is a factor and that's a great point about aftermarket support. You will no doubt be able to mod the Tesla to be as track capable as the Ioniq 5 N is out the box and it'll probably be quicker due to its much lighter weight.
I think stock for stock the Model 3 should be able to keep up with he 5 N but for how many laps?

There are not any instrumented tests for acceleration yet for the new M3P so I'm not sure how you're saying the 5 N "is slower in everything", and even if the Tesla has an edge in acceleration it will be minuscule at best. The 5 N has recorded 3 seconds to 60 mph, under 7 seconds to 100 mph and a 1/4 of 11.1 @ 123 mph. Those are just the straight line numbers, we have no idea if they will be close around a track.
The simulated gear shifts and sounds can be turned off so it isn't hurting the performance of the car. It's there to give the car character and make it more fun to drive. It's adding to the experience of driving
I agree that the IONIQ 5 N is a serious competitor to the new M3P. The big thing that separates the two cars, though, is price. The M3P currently starts at $54,990 ($47,490 if you qualify for the Fed Cred), and the I5N starts at $66,100 and does not qualify for the credit (as far as I'm aware). That's a difference of $11,110 or $18,610 with the credit. The I5N also gets 221 miles of range, whereas the M3P is rated at ~300 (more realistically somewhere in the realm of ~260-270 if I had to guess, based on how Tesla EPA tests their vehicles).

The I5N seems to be somewhat polarizing, though, as you don't really think "track-focused" when you realize it's a crossover SUV, but in reality, it is an absolute monster on track thanks to the extra chassis strength on the N, the low center of gravity, driving option customizability, suspension configuration, 600hp, and the E-LSD.

M3P advantages:
- $11k - $18.5k cheaper (the most car for your money right now, IMO)
- 40 - 50 miles more range (real world)
- Tesla charging network access (I5N will apparently have NACS support by end of 2024)
- 800 pounds lighter
- Amazing Autopilot / FSD

I5N Advantages:
- Track-focused out of the box
- ~90 more horsepower
- E-LSD
- Plenty of fun driving settings to customize (a few more options and freedom than the M3P)
- Fake customizable exhaust notes and simulated gear shifts that slow you down (yay?)

For reference, @tone228, at least one Dragy has been posted by an M3P, and the M3P does clock in a faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile on an unprepped surface than the I5N claims (it even appears to do sub-3 second 0-60 without rollout on this unprepped surface):

Still, you are correct in that we don't really have any numbers as far as track times go to compare the two. I'd dare say the I5N might have the edge around a track, but we'll see. I don't really care, I'd have the M3P over the I5N any day, even if the I5N is a couple seconds quicker around any given track.

Reactions: tone228
Ohhhh a simulated clutch
Your sarcasm is coming through loud and clear but the simulated clutch kick is actually a cool idea that nobody else thought to implement in their EV. I don't understand why you guys are knocking another car company for trying to make an EV fun with cool little tricks like the the clutch kick and a fake rev limiter. It's not like Tesla doesn't have any cheap gimmicks. Did you forget about the whoopee cushion fart noises and a light show? That stuff is ridiculous and doesn't add to the driving experience but it's about having fun.

I agree that the IONIQ 5 N is a serious competitor to the new M3P. The big thing that separates the two cars, though, is price. The M3P currently starts at $54,990 ($47,490 if you qualify for the Fed Cred), and the I5N starts at $66,100 and does not qualify for the credit (as far as I'm aware). That's a difference of $11,110 or $18,610 with the credit. The I5N also gets 221 miles of range, whereas the M3P is rated at ~300 (more realistically somewhere in the realm of ~260-270 if I had to guess, based on how Tesla EPA tests their vehicles).

The I5N seems to be somewhat polarizing, though, as you don't really think "track-focused" when you realize it's a crossover SUV, but in reality, it is an absolute monster on track thanks to the extra chassis strength on the N, the low center of gravity, driving option customizability, suspension configuration, 600hp, and the E-LSD.

M3P advantages:
- $11k - $18.5k cheaper (the most car for your money right now, IMO)
- 40 - 50 miles more range (real world)
- Tesla charging network access (I5N will apparently have NACS support by end of 2024)
- 800 pounds lighter
- Amazing Autopilot / FSD

I5N Advantages:
- Track-focused out of the box
- ~90 more horsepower
- E-LSD
- Plenty of fun driving settings to customize (a few more options and freedom than the M3P)
- Fake customizable exhaust notes and simulated gear shifts that slow you down (yay?)

For reference, @tone228, at least one Dragy has been posted by an M3P, and the M3P does clock in a faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile on an unprepped surface than the I5N claims (it even appears to do sub-3 second 0-60 without rollout on this unprepped surface):

Still, you are correct in that we don't really have any numbers as far as track times go to compare the two. I'd dare say the I5N might have the edge around a track, but we'll see. I don't really care, I'd have the M3P over the I5N any day, even if the I5N is a couple seconds quicker around any given track.
Great summary, I agree with everything you said.
I think Tesla not putting an LSD shows they aren't serious about the M3P being track ready. My major disappointment is not being able to choose a color other than grey without losing the tax credit, still a good deal regardless but I refuse to pay $8500 for a white M3P.
Definitely agree about not caring if the 5 N or the M3P is a few seconds faster or slower around a track or if the M3P is a tenth faster to 60.
Main reasons I would pick the Tesla is 1. The Price, 2. The charging network and 3. The range is a big enough difference to matter.
I think what people fail to realize is competition is good, it drives innovation. We're lucky to be able to choose between a sleek efficient sedan or a chunky hot hatch crossover thing that are knocking on 10 second 1/4 mile times while being completely silent, not burning gas and that people can actually afford.

Reactions: iMod4Fun
Your sarcasm is coming through loud and clear but the simulated clutch kick is actually a cool idea that nobody else thought to implement in their EV. I don't understand why you guys are knocking another car company for trying to make an EV fun with cool little tricks like the the clutch kick and a fake rev limiter. It's not like Tesla doesn't have any cheap gimmicks. Did you forget about the whoopee cushion fart noises and a light show? That stuff is ridiculous and doesn't add to the driving experience but it's about having fun.
I love that Hyundai came out with the N, even if I'd never buy one. I think it was a neat decision for them to put something out 'between' a M3/Y and MS/X, pricewise, and with a track-focus. I'm always about 'options' for consumers, and this one certainly adds another to the growing list of EV options, which I think is a very, very good thing.

What I am gathering from a lot of the comments is that it seems the N is 'comparable' to the new M3P - but at a substantially higher price. Whether that difference in price is worth it or not is of course up to the person opening their wallet - and I just think it's cool that those buyers are in a position to -have- that choice to make.

And for the record - I confess I've used the whoopie-cushion several dozen times in the year I've had my M3. I wish I would have filmed a few of their reactions. :)

• Funny
Reactions: tone228
There are not any instrumented tests for acceleration yet for the new M3P so I'm not sure how you're saying the 5 N "is slower in everything", and even if the Tesla has an edge in acceleration it will be minuscule at best. The 5 N has recorded 3 seconds to 60 mph, under 7 seconds to 100 mph and a 1/4 of 11.1 @ 123 mph. Those are just the straight line numbers, we have no idea if they will be close around a track.
The simulated gear shifts and sounds can be turned off so it isn't hurting the performance of the car. It's there to give the car character and make it more fun to drive. It's adding to the experience of driving
View attachment 1053353
There are plenty of “instrumented tests” for the new Model 3 Performance. Not sure why you are saying there aren’t any?

I consider anything verified by draggy to be testing as good as anything.

By that mark, the M3P is faster, faster to 60, faster to 100, faster over the 1/4. But we shouldn't be surprised. It's 800lbs lighter with like 40kw less as a peak, but ill bet the average power is more or less the same. Simple physics takes over at that point.

The fake gear shifts are kinda cool I guess, but it does make the car significantly slower, like a LOT slower. Like it would lose to a boosted LR slower. Still better to have them than not, But you just know, it took thousands of hours and many $$ to get it right, I'm not sure it makes up the price difference.

Amazingly there's actually more cargo space in the M3, so the only reason to go SUV, doesn't even work here.

Track times will come in time I'm sure, but ultimately I don't think that matters. They are 2 fundamentally different cars with 2 very different price points.

There's one area where I feel the euro's/i5n and the like do have the advantage and I'm surprised tesla hasn't addressed this yet, and that's the brakes. Even if it was a optional track pack like they had to do with the plaid s. But I suspect the stock M3P brakes won't be upto the challenge of even sprints which is like 6 - 8 timed laps here in Australia.

There is plenty of aftermarket options, but it's always good if there's a factory option.

TLDR - i5n, good car, looks fun, is fast, but slower than a m3p in the real world, costs too much - like 30% more here in Australia. Id still drive one, but in these strange economic times, hard to justify when the M3P is the performance bargain of the century

Sounds like you agree with me, you just repeated everything I said. Like it or not, the fact is the '24 M3P is a moderate refresh and not all new. All good changes and a step in the right direction but nothing is groundbreaking. This all stuff the Performance version should have had from when it was first released and most performance cars have had since the mid 2010's. Tesla themselves have even admitted the original M3P was half baked.
Styling is subjective, you may think the Ioniq 5 is hideous but someone else may think it's cool and different. The Model 3 isn't exactly the most exciting looking car on the road.
I don’t think your reading comprehension is very strong. I am disagreeing if you think the updates are significant and if you want to add the comparison to the 2020 M3P I am coming from, it’s radically different. Whether or not those changes “should” have been from the get go is not what is being debated here. Fake engine noise is a parlor trick. The Hyundai is also $20k+ more expensive somewhere not even discussing cars in the same price range. All that aside, when the new 3 gets on a track against the Ioniq it will smoke it

There is a difference between price and value.
Is the 5N worth $66k from a performance stand point? Absolutely!
And the Model 3 performance is bargain.
If we talk how special the 5N is , let’s see BMW
The 5N is like the evolution from a 330 to an M3 (I wonder why? 🤔)
Is not slapping a couple of things and calling it a day like Tesla does……
I got an S Plaid with the track package and added a 5N and let me tell you the 5N feels fun to drive, more focus and track worthy than the Plaid.
I didn’t care to wait or consider the 3 performance on the mix.
Sure the Plaid is a rocket.

There is a difference between price and value.
Is the 5N worth $66k from a performance stand point? Absolutely!
And the Model 3 performance is bargain.
If we talk how special the 5N is , let’s see BMW
The 5N is like the evolution from a 330 to an M3 (I wonder why? 🤔)
Is not slapping a couple of things and calling it a day like Tesla does……
I got an S Plaid with the track package and added a 5N and let me tell you the 5N feels fun to drive, more focus and track worthy than the Plaid.
I didn’t care to wait or consider the 3 performance on the mix.
Sure the Plaid is a rocket.
Why are tou here! Please leave

Yeah dont use those “features” on my Tesla either.