Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 N

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1691218042639.jpeg

“The Ioniq 5 N will produce 601 horsepower and 545 pound-feet of torque—and it has something called N Grin Boost that raises output to 641 hp.“

MSRP should be around $63k.

Anyone else pumped about this performance EV? I haven’t seen any other EV compelling enough to make me want to upgrade from my 2019 M3P at a close price point. Based on the numbers, it should be a high 10 second car on the 1/4 mile given Kia EV6 GT owners are hitting low 11s with 70 less hp.

It will have a 84-kwh battery.

Comes with forged wheels, big brakes, and racing seats from the factory.

It also makes artificial noises 😅
“The Ioniq 5 N's "N Active Sound+" feature uses 10 interior speakers and two exterior ones to simulate the rumble of a gas engine and exhaust both inside and outside the vehicle. There are a few different sound profiles available, including a "Supersonic" theme that Hyundai said was inspired by fighter jets.”

Here’s to hoping Elon ups the ante with a Plaid Model 3 or at least a more powerful M3P or else I may be switching over to Hyundai in the next few years.

I really dig it. Looks much better than the EV6 GT. They made quite significant changes from the regular I5 to make it feel special. Performance stats look pretty decent and not terribly priced. I was considering the regular I5 but after seeing some early model year teething issues and lack of reliable charging infrastructure around me I decided to just get the MY. I'm excited by the new performance variants of EVs coming out from everyone. Now that every is adopting NACS it's looking pretty promising to get something other than a Tesla

People spend it on Tesla, who is way behind Kia in quality and materials, so why not?
Because Kia and Huyndai is trash. I complaint all the time about Tesla bad build quality and paint job, but with Korean cars you will get constant corner cutting that you won't be able to see. I worked for huyndai years ago and still connect with a few people there.

If you want quality, get a German car, don't buy korean cars. Watch Bjorn commenting on "rapping gating", they cut corners there too.

Also GT models have issues and TERRIBLE range. Most "expert" revewers will tell you, "well fast charging saves the day". No, it does not. Battery will degrade with fast charging and higher cycling and higher SOC way faster and in 4-5 years, you will loose even more range unless you lease it.

IMO when purchasing an EV range is imporant. You won't race around 24/7. Same with my M3P, i drive "normally" 95% of the time and still get an ionic 5 long range efficiency.

Up to you tho

Because Kia and Huyndai is trash. I complaint all the time about Tesla bad build quality and paint job, but with Korean cars you will get constant corner cutting that you won't be able to see. I worked for huyndai years ago and still connect with a few people there.

If you want quality, get a German car, don't buy korean cars. Watch Bjorn commenting on "rapping gating", they cut corners there too.

Also GT models have issues and TERRIBLE range. Most "expert" revewers will tell you, "well fast charging saves the day". No, it does not. Battery will degrade with fast charging and higher cycling and higher SOC way faster and in 4-5 years, you will loose even more range unless you lease it.

IMO when purchasing an EV range is imporant. You won't race around 24/7. Same with my M3P, i drive "normally" 95% of the time and still get an ionic 5 long range efficiency.

Up to you tho
I actually own the car in question (GT model). The range is fine. Charging to 80%, I get around 180mi real world range for my actual commute. Thats in 95-100*f weather. When it was 70s, that was around 195mi. At 100% charge, real world 240mi range. Kia underrated it significantly. Similarly, Edmunds got about 239mi out of it. 263mi for the Tesla MYP (their M3P had a few mi less) Id hardly call 24mi range delta a big issue, especially in the real world where you park your Tesla and it saps battery power over the course of the day while parked in this hot weather. I parked my GT in a parking garage for 5 days of 100+ weather and it only used 2% of the battery during that time. Try that in a Tesla.

Now, as to battery degradation, thats a harder one to quantify, but noone on the Kia forums has seen any issue. One guy only fast charged his for 10k mi. Got a loss of about 2%.

As to Hyundai/Kia cutting corners...like what? I googled "rapping gating" and found nothing.

I actually own the car in question (GT model). The range is fine. Charging to 80%, I get around 180mi real world range for my actual commute. Thats in 95-100*f weather. When it was 70s, that was around 195mi. At 100% charge, real world 240mi range. Kia underrated it significantly. Similarly, Edmunds got about 239mi out of it. 263mi for the Tesla MYP (their M3P had a few mi less) Id hardly call 24mi range delta a big issue, especially in the real world where you park your Tesla and it saps battery power over the course of the day while parked in this hot weather. I parked my GT in a parking garage for 5 days of 100+ weather and it only used 2% of the battery during that time. Try that in a Tesla.

Now, as to battery degradation, thats a harder one to quantify, but noone on the Kia forums has seen any issue. One guy only fast charged his for 10k mi. Got a loss of about 2%.

As to Hyundai/Kia cutting corners...like what? I googled "rapping gating" and found nothing.
80% is a perfect charge to degrate the battery, unless there is a substantial buffer. One guy this, one guy that. That's how these batteries work. Did the guy drove from 100% - 0, did the calucate if the buffer shrank?

Parked my m3P for 7 days during my trip to mexico with no sentry mode. 1% lost. try that in Kia.

Cutting corners ammmm. crap trannys on older SantaFe and motors - that's just during my time. 2.0T motor in coupes issues. Veloster glass roof craking. Fire issues in Hyundai you can look it up.

You got a new car, sure, enjoy it, but it's not a quality product. Not sure why are you on a Tesla forum?

Did Hyundai finally fix the battery drain issue that's been going on for YEARS?

80% is a perfect charge to degrate the battery, unless there is a substantial buffer. One guy this, one guy that. That's how these batteries work. Did the guy drove from 100% - 0, did the calucate if the buffer shrank?

Parked my m3P for 7 days during my trip to mexico with no sentry mode. 1% lost. try that in Kia.

Cutting corners ammmm. crap trannys on older SantaFe and motors - that's just during my time. 2.0T motor in coupes issues. Veloster glass roof craking. Fire issues in Hyundai you can look it up.

You got a new car, sure, enjoy it, but it's not a quality product. Not sure why are you on a Tesla forum?

Did Hyundai finally fix the battery drain issue that's been going on for YEARS?
Might as well bring up those extended pack Model S cars from the mid 20teens if you're going to talk about the Santa Fe, lol!

I had the car set to manage humidity, why it lost 2% in 5 days in humid 100f temps.

Many people have calculated battery degradation in the eGMP platform using eveything from dealership diagnotics to more mundane methods. Noone has found any issues.

80% is perfectly fine. Battery has about a 4kwh buffer.

Anyway, back to corner cutting...

Give it a rest. You have a Tesla. Lets not talk about corner cutting.

Im here mainly to discuss tires and provide and receive data, but saw a car similar to mine being discussed.

Might as well bring up those extended pack Model S cars from the mid 20teens if you're going to talk about the Santa Fe, lol!

I had the car set to manage humidity, why it lost 2% in 5 days in humid 100f temps.

Many people have calculated battery degradation in the eGMP platform using eveything from dealership diagnotics to more mundane methods. Noone has found any issues.

80% is perfectly fine. Battery has about a 4kwh buffer.

Anyway, back to corner cutting...

Give it a rest. You have a Tesla. Lets not talk about corner cutting.

Im here mainly to discuss tires and provide and receive data, but saw a car similar to mine being discussed.
Ok, so why are you here if you're enjoying your car? Many cars are discussed on many different forums, that doesn't mean any of us need to go there. You just trying to justify to yourself that you've made the right decision.

Many people measured the battery ok? And? Doesn't mean many people are right.

80% is ok for you, maybe but not for someone who wants to minimize degradation on a terrible range car like kia ev6 gt.

I think you're confusing how long Hyundai/kia has been making cars versus Tesla. First model s were not good. Who is arguing that?
Did kia/Hyundai fix the battery issue? Of course not. Constant fires? Getting sued by insurance companies because too easy to steal and etc.

You should give it a rest and crawl back to your Kia forum.

Ok, so why are you here if you're enjoying your car? Many cars are discussed on many different forums, that doesn't mean any of us need to go there. You just trying to justify to yourself that you've made the right decision.

Many people measured the battery ok? And? Doesn't mean many people are right.

80% is ok for you, maybe but not for someone who wants to minimize degradation on a terrible range car like kia ev6 gt.

I think you're confusing how long Hyundai/kia has been making cars versus Tesla. First model s were not good. Who is arguing that?
Did kia/Hyundai fix the battery issue? Of course not. Constant fires? Getting sued by insurance companies because too easy to steal and etc.

You should give it a rest and crawl back to your Kia forum.
strong talk considering I didn't start this thread. 80% is fine. You're clueless. The range on the GT is about 20 to 30mi less than the slower MYP. Plenty for most.

Just for giggles, what do you charge the battery to? Why?

Last edited:
Kia EV6 GT range is under 200 miles. Anyone who tells you differently is an inbred moron.
Owner here, and you're wrong. 240mi or so at 100% charge. Anyone who tells you different probably drives a Tesla product and is used to wild overratings instead of under promise and over deliver.

Started at 80% and had some fun in GT mode to boot.
16940823889458094434425769635872.jpg

By now there are ev6s at 50-100k miles that charge to 100% regularly with no ramge degradation. One guy ubers people, averages 400mi a day. 100k miles. Same range as new.

Last edited:
If you're open to replacing a performance sedan with a performance SUV, then sure, a Ioniq5N is an option.
If you want something remotely comparable to M3P in handling, there is still nothing out there for a comparable price.
The ev6 gt will handle up on an M3P at a track. I can't imagine the Ioniq5N wouldn't be the same story. Remember, Albert Biermann designed these suspensions and they have an eLSD, as well. Its a very capable system.

As far as acceleration, the M3P should edge it out 0-80, but as it runs out of breath the Kia will walk on by. They turn similar 1/4 mile times but typically the Kia has higher trap speeds. Past the 1/4 mile the lead just grows.

Part of my bias is that I own the car. However, I chose to spend more to get it, and looked very hard at the MYP before choosing to spend more. NACS was the only benefit I saw, and in the Midwest where I live, we have CCS and NACS in near identical locations and abundance 99% of my charging is at home.

1690997246143.png

Last edited:
156mi at 67%. Gets around 190mi at 80%. Plenty enough.
In practice that's not far off from what I get in my 2020 P3D- on 20s. Using 2/3 of my battery probably gets me about 175 miles maybe a little more if I baby it. I really think the range obsession is overblown once you get above 200mi or so. To me it just allows you to stay in the sweet spot for fast charging longer but really has minimal impact on my daily driving habits. I don't think I'd have any issues having a car with the range you are describing.

I still haven't seen an EV that beats the model 3 but I think the Ioniq 5N will be a cool car. My buddy has a Veloster N and they did a good job with it IMO, I am partial to hot hatches from my import tuning days and thought it was a blast to drive. Based on the Australian pricing I have seen the car may be close to $70k USD (other reports say $65k US) and I don't think it is eligible for the tax credit the way it is structured now so that's quite a bit more than the Model 3 Performance. I just can't see people spending that much when a comparable Model 3 is significantly cheaper at $53k and also gets a $7500 credit.

In practice that's not far off from what I get in my 2020 P3D- on 20s. Using 2/3 of my battery probably gets me about 175 miles maybe a little more if I baby it. I really think the range obsession is overblown once you get above 200mi or so. To me it just allows you to stay in the sweet spot for fast charging longer but really has minimal impact on my daily driving habits. I don't think I'd have any issues having a car with the range you are describing.

I still haven't seen an EV that beats the model 3 but I think the Ioniq 5N will be a cool car. My buddy has a Veloster N and they did a good job with it IMO, I am partial to hot hatches from my import tuning days and thought it was a blast to drive. Based on the Australian pricing I have seen the car may be close to $70k USD (other reports say $65k US) and I don't think it is eligible for the tax credit the way it is structured now so that's quite a bit more than the Model 3 Performance. I just can't see people spending that much when a comparable Model 3 is significantly cheaper at $53k and also gets a $7500 credit.
It depends. The model 3 has a lot less room, and is less capable (speed, handing, ground clearance). How much these matter to the buyer is anyone's guess.
The dual motor M3 and MY are near impossible to beat for value for the dollar though.