Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model S Base vs 2024 Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide between 2024 Model S base and 2024 Model 3 Performance. Reasons why I am thinking about spending more money on the Model S base is the Yoke wheel, the extra range, front screen size, and the I like the design a bit better. Just looking to gather some thoughts from others and see if there are any other reasons why I should spend the extra $20K+ on the Model S Base or if I’m crazy.

I am trying to decide between 2024 Model S base and 2024 Model 3 Performance. Reasons why I am thinking about spending more money on the Model S base is the Yoke wheel, the extra range, front screen size, and the I like the design a bit better. Just looking to gather some thoughts from others and see if there are any other reasons why I should spend the extra $20K+ on the Model S Base or if I’m crazy.
I would pick S due to

Range
Hatchback
Room

It’s also a more comfortable car with better suspension. Driver’s display, too. It’s a bigger car, though, and drives like one. So one does need to bear that in mind.
One foot longer, 6 inches wider, same height. But drives bigger and not as tossable. But you can still push it HARD enough to satisfy my needs anyway.

I have a 2023 Model S refresh and a 2024 Model 3 Long Range. The comments about the S above are all right on. Bigger, more room and comfort based on the suspension etc. I love the car but I have to say the Model 3 is a blast to drive. It is small, agile, tight and rips like a sports car. Personally I need the hatchback and the additional room but if I didn't I would be in a Model 3 Performance because of the way it drives.

Reactions: El joe and oktane
I have a 2023 Model S refresh and a 2024 Model 3 Long Range. The comments about the S above are all right on. Bigger, more room and comfort based on the suspension etc. I love the car but I have to say the Model 3 is a blast to drive. It is small, agile, tight and rips like a sports car. Personally I need the hatchback and the additional room but if I didn't I would be in a Model 3 Performance because of the way it drives.
Yep this is about true. I can't speak for the 2024 M3P, but I can for the non P 2024 suspension, and it buh-lows compared to the S.

Reactions: TBrownTX
How about build quality? The S is still a legacy product and send to have panel and seal fitment deficiencies not present on the 3.

Reactions: oktane
How about build quality? The S is still a legacy product and send to have panel and seal fitment deficiencies not present on the 3

3’s panel gaps and seals are just as bad as the S. Trunk on the 3 in particular can be quite horrendous. Nothing to do with legacy, just teslas QC being non existent.

The S chassis is arguably more modern anyway. Completely aluminum, and significant revisions were made to the suspension mount and geometry with the Palladium refresh. Highland on the other hand is basically identical to the original 3, just new dampers and softer bushings. Also uses mostly steel in its construction

The S chassis is arguably more modern anyway. Completely aluminum, and significant revisions were made to the suspension mount and geometry with the Palladium refresh. Highland on the other hand is basically identical to the original 3, just new dampers and softer bushings. Also uses mostly steel in its construction

True. I just saw schematics showing material makeup of the various models chassis on 𝕏 and was surprised by how much steel the Model 3 still had. The S by comparison only uses it to protect the driver.

3’s panel gaps and seals are just as bad as the S. Trunk on the 3 in particular can be quite horrendous. Nothing to do with legacy, just teslas QC being non existent.

That’s interesting. The few highlands I’ve seen have been tight as a drum from the outside.