Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model S vs. Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I wish more people understood this. The braking performance is comparable to any other heavy high end sedan (M5 etc). What’s different is it can accelerate nearly as quickly as it can brake which scares some people. But that’s just physics when you’re traction limited in both directions. You have to plan your moves more carefully, much in the same way as you’d have to anticipate more when driving in rain, snow, etc.
Right? Just silly talk. I’m glad Tesla released an official track package but it’s a track package for a reason. It’s simply unnecessary for street driving (barring street-racing idiocy, of course).

Right? Just silly talk. I’m glad Tesla released an official track package but it’s a track package for a reason. It’s simply unnecessary for street driving (barring street-racing idiocy, of course).
There's plenty of videos on YouTube and threads on the forums that seem to indicate that the stock braking performance is not on par with every other heavy high-end sedan. This is also supported by the fact that Tesla started selling upgraded brake pad kits for the Plaid for purchase with better thermal performance. Simple logic would indicate that nothing accelerates like the Plaid, so comparing its braking performance to an M5 doesn't really make sense. Your mileage may vary.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: 1windy and bhzmark
There's plenty of videos on YouTube and threads on the forums that seem to indicate that the stock braking performance is not on par with every other heavy high-end sedan. This is also supported by the fact that Tesla started selling upgraded brake pad kits for the Plaid for purchase with better thermal performance. Simple logic would indicate that nothing accelerates like the Plaid, so comparing its braking performance to an M5 doesn't really make sense. Your mileage may vary.
Those pads are probably (certainly) marginal upgrades. Again, I’ve driven this car for several years now. I know plenty others who have, too. It’s simply not necessary to have a track package for the street. It’s just not. Would I prefer the carbon ceramics? Absolutely!

Those YouTube videos are wrong. All objective measures show it brakes similarly to other high end sedans. Pedal feel might not be quite there (which the updated pads probably help with), but pedal feel has essentially zero correlation with braking performance.

Yes it accelerates faster than those other cars. But again, you can’t beat physics. The Plaid, like most cars, is at the limits of traction when it comes to braking performance.

Depends on how you define "full power." If you mean full throttle, - ALL THE TIME. It's addictive, even if it's just 10-30, or 0-25, or even 40-70. It doesn't matter. It's amazing, and for me the primary reason to buy an S. The regular S for me at regular speeds is certainly quick (around the same as my old Model 3 Performance in the 0-60 range, and noticeably quicker above 60), but it's just not excitingly fast like the Plaid is. And yes, it's the doing and the knowing - that you can trounce anything you'd ever come across. I couldn't go back. Sad thing is, - it's unlikely my next car is as a quick as the Plaid so I may be forced to go back, boo!
You know what you’ll have to do, the Lucid Sapphire is your only option post Plaid.

• Funny
Reactions: teko and WilliamG
OP I'm in the same boat. My MS20 has been totaled, a month too late to get the FUSC mind you, and I'm debating Plaid vs LR. Never driven a Plaid, will likely rent one from Turo in the next few weeks. IMO the Insane mode on the refreshed MS is plenty fast, seems quicker than my LR plus. The way I drive I actually think the Plaid is too fast...I have a very heavy foot. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber and can easily add a spoiler from Tesla for $500.

Reactions: The Long C_0_N
lol I have my 22 LR and love it. I rented a plaid on Turo and they’re not in the same league I loved the plaid but the cost and I didn’t feel like paying the additional cost for insurance since mine already sucks balls in Denver even with the LR and a spotless record.
A mid-high 10sec 1/4 mi will be great once the drags open and I drive in insane mode ALWAYS. I also have the arachnid wheels, a plaid spoiler I picked up from a guy who swapped his for the tsportline spoiler and other than the badge it’s identical to a 21 plaid. I believe that’s the last year they offered black brakes on the plaid

First, thank you to all who have been super helpful.

I have been debating the Model S vs. Plaid version. To start, I do not need any of the performance of the Plaid as the Model S is plenty for me. I do not intend to track the car and I've driven my Model Y on "Chill" mode for the most part. I do happen to like the styling of the Plaid however.

Curious if anyone else has had the Model S vs. Plaid debate in their head? How did you ultimately select?

I've had a 2016 Model S and a 2020 Model Y.

I plan to order in the next week as my lease is over late-March on my Model Y.

Thanks in advance,
Happy with my LR. I actually just put the vinyl red stickers on the calipers and they look pretty good and an after market spoiler from amazon. With the wheel covers on you can barely see the calipers and it still looks awesome.

Reactions: dherman76
Yeah I wish more people understood this. The braking performance is comparable to any other heavy high end sedan (M5 etc). What’s different is it can accelerate nearly as quickly as it can brake which scares some people. But that’s just physics when you’re traction limited in both directions. You have to plan your moves more carefully, much in the same way as you’d have to anticipate more when driving in rain, snow, etc.
I literally did 6 consecutives 1/2-mile hits just to prove some people this. Recovery time was what it took to turn back online. All hits to 174 Mph without any fade or warnings. I upgraded to the CCB just to increase the limiter as it was toping at 174 before completing the 1/2, now is power limited to 184 Mph.

Reactions: bhzmark
First, thank you to all who have been super helpful.

I have been debating the Model S vs. Plaid version. To start, I do not need any of the performance of the Plaid as the Model S is plenty for me. I do not intend to track the car and I've driven my Model Y on "Chill" mode for the most part. I do happen to like the styling of the Plaid however.

Curious if anyone else has had the Model S vs. Plaid debate in their head? How did you ultimately select?

I've had a 2016 Model S and a 2020 Model Y.

I plan to order in the next week as my lease is over late-March on my Model Y.

Thanks in advance,
I went standard… same thought process as you. Love driving it.

You prefer the "styling" of the Plaid?

The "styling" is simply the spoiler, the Plaid badge and the red brake calipers on the exterior.

You can change the color of the calipers and add the spoiler easily.

The interior has the CF trim option and you can also change that easily with some excellent precut vinyl.

I thought it was an inch wider due to the slightly extended rear wheel wells?