Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model S vs. Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I wish more people understood this. The braking performance is comparable to any other heavy high end sedan (M5 etc). What’s different is it can accelerate nearly as quickly as it can brake which scares some people. But that’s just physics when you’re traction limited in both directions. You have to plan your moves more carefully, much in the same way as you’d have to anticipate more when driving in rain, snow, etc.

But it is true in spirited twisties. The Plaid gets to much higher speeds between the turns so you have to slow down much more for each turn.

First, thank you to all who have been super helpful.

I have been debating the Model S vs. Plaid version. To start, I do not need any of the performance of the Plaid as the Model S is plenty for me. I do not intend to track the car and I've driven my Model Y on "Chill" mode for the most part. I do happen to like the styling of the Plaid however.

Curious if anyone else has had the Model S vs. Plaid debate in their head? How did you ultimately select?

I've had a 2016 Model S and a 2020 Model Y.

I plan to order in the next week as my lease is over late-March on my Model Y.

Thanks in advance,
It sounds like you'd be happy with the long range Model S then. I'd save the $15,000 or so and put that towards sales tax, PPF, tint...etc

0-60 in 3.1 seconds isn't exactly a slow car as well. You can still have some fun with that.

You can add spoiler back for less than $400.

Reactions: dherman76
Went with the LR...will transfer to a Plaid inventory if my combination comes ups with incentives. My sales person said you can swab a steering wheel for a yoke post delivery. This is not true based on my research.
I think they're confusing the fact that you can pay Tesla to swap from Yoke to Round but not the other way around. If you want that, you have to buy the yoke yourself and swap it which isn't hard.

But it is true in spirited twisties. The Plaid gets to much higher speeds between the turns so you have to slow down much more for each turn.
Honestly, if people are doing spirited twisties they should be in Track Mode for better handling AND significantly increased regen. If they’re still overheating their brakes they are 100% going too fast for the twisties and are a danger to themselves and those around them.

Reactions: Yelobird
Honestly, if people are doing spirited twisties they should be in Track Mode for better handling AND significantly increased regen. If they’re still overheating their brakes they are 100% going too fast for the twisties and are a danger to themselves and those around them.

Got it. Early articles said the Plaid was 0.9 inches wider than the long range, but they must have been comparing it to the early 2021 non refresh and earlier which is 77.3 vs 78.2 for the refresh S.

Reactions: aerodyne
Got any pics?
IMG_3043.jpeg

My phone kind of sucks taking pics but here you go!
IMG_3044.jpeg