Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Y long range defaults to 40 amps on a gen 2 80 amp HPWC that charges consistently well at 80 amp on a dual charger 2013 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I insert the handle, the Y shows 48 amps as the charge rate.

As soon as the HPWC's handle is inserted, it shows 40/40 as if the HPWC can't output more.

I do not understand why that is : can someone enlighten me as to a possible fix?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

edited to give more details as to the sequence of events

Attachments

• E3B6025F-1500-4E14-AF0B-F11A44E3B70B.png
    E3B6025F-1500-4E14-AF0B-F11A44E3B70B.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 0D927BAA-30C9-4079-AE01-15CC54E91068.jpeg
    0D927BAA-30C9-4079-AE01-15CC54E91068.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 899EFCF1-9D85-4B81-BD89-9839BA256000.jpeg
    899EFCF1-9D85-4B81-BD89-9839BA256000.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
yeah, the wall connector is advertising a 40 amp max to the car for reasons unknown. It’s relatively easy to take off the front panel and check the rotary dial - I’d start with visual confirmation of what it’s set to.

Flip the breaker to power cycle it for good measure.

WARNING!!! Don’t adjust those rotary switches on a Gen 2 WC with AC power applied. It fries electronics if you do.

Says so in the manual. And, back in 2019, a coworker bought a M3, had an idiot electrician install the TWC, and said non-Tesla-certified idiot did that thing, took his money, and fled before the coworker found out.

Coworker called Tesla and they drop-shipped the coworker a replacement, free of charge. The coworker, as part of his job, installed high power DC and AC cables for a living and did the swap. Then everything worked.

You have been warned.

WARNING!!! Don’t adjust those rotary switches on a Gen 2 WC with AC power applied. It fries electronics if you do.

Says so in the manual. And, back in 2019, a coworker bought a M3, had an idiot electrician install the TWC, and said non-Tesla-certified idiot did that thing, took his money, and fled before the coworker found out.

Coworker called Tesla and they drop-shipped the coworker a replacement, free of charge. The coworker, as part of his job, installed high power DC and AC cables for a living and did the swap. Then everything worked.

You have been warned.
Good thing I set it before powering up when I replaced my parent's that was giving false overheat errors. I had just finished making the connections, set the dial to D (I think it's D) before going inside to hit the breaker.

@hydro - I regularly charge my Y @ 48A on my parent's gen 2 that is configured for 80A. It charges their 2018S @ 72A (72A charger) and my old 2014 S @ 80A (dual chargers).

One thing I've noticed recently - the number after the slash is the min of your car's max charging capacity and the max capacity of the station. It is not just the max the station offers. I'd try another WC with at least 48A capacity and see if you can get the car to charge at 48 or even show 48 available.

Reactions: hydro
Wondering more about this. Got two thoughts:
  • There’s this older protocol between the TWC and the car and a newer protocol. At Superchargers the older protocol always works, so older Teslas can charge; but the newer protocol only works at the newest SCs so that non-Teslas can charge there. Older Teslas with the CCS1 adapter can’t charge at EVGO and the like because the cars don’t speak the CCS1, “newer-for-Tesla” protocol. Newer Teslas do and can use said adapter.
  • Um. It’s possible to fry a Gen 2 TWC by manipulating the rotary switches with the breakers on, hence the warning. If, at any time in the past, somebody did that thing, then I suppose the definition of “fry” may cover quite a bit of damage. I mean, the general idea is that, in response to the car’s query, the TWC reports back its maximum current capacity. Then the car inspects its navel, figures out what the max current draw is, and draws that. The info from the TWC likely comes straight off the switches, into gpio on the microprocessor, and to the car. A burned out gpio might result in nebulous values.
While this TWC is likely far out of warranty, my coworker called the number in the manual and pretty much fell out of his chair when it was answered by a human on the third ring. The techie at the far end was able to do some remote troubleshooting via the car. I’d suggest trying that to see what you’ll get.

• Helpful
There’s this older protocol between the TWC and the car and a newer protocol. At Superchargers the older protocol always works, so older Teslas can charge; but the newer protocol only works at the newest SCs so that non-Teslas can charge there. Older Teslas with the CCS1 adapter can’t charge at EVGO and the like because the cars don’t speak the CCS1, “newer-for-Tesla” protocol. Newer Teslas do and can use said adapter.
None of that is accurate or relevant to the wall connectors. That's just Supercharger stuff.

I'm also kind of perplexed at this one. I had a couple of theories about the wall connector being configured for a lower amount, but that is disproven by it being able to pass 80A to the 2013 car. So it is set up for a high amount. But then I don't get why when it is connected to a different car, it shows only 40A available instead of the car and station both saying 48A should be there. So I'm still lost on this one.

• Informative
None of that is accurate or relevant to the wall connectors. That's just Supercharger stuff.

I'm also kind of perplexed at this one. I had a couple of theories about the wall connector being configured for a lower amount, but that is disproven by it being able to pass 80A to the 2013 car. So it is set up for a high amount. But then I don't get why when it is connected to a different car, it shows only 40A available instead of the car and station both saying 48A should be there. So I'm still lost on this one.
I'm thinking along the lines of a stuck-at fault. Say you get 80A to the 2013 code. There's a field, probably check-summed, that has the current carrying capacity of the TWC. Which reports either 80A or 100A, plus or minus the NEC standard. Further, there's some handshaking.

So.. Does the car work its way up to 80A as these two computers talk back and forth to each other? Or does the TWC say, "80A" and gets a "confirm 80A" from the car? Or does the car say, "48A. What you got?" and the TWC would have reported "48A, Confirm.", but the bitfield is busted because of damage and the car gets back "40A", rather than "48A".

Look: If I knew the protocol and what the handshaking looked like I could make a better guess.

The other possibility is that there's nothing wrong with the TWC but the car's computer has issues. This is why a little remote troubleshooting by a Tesla tech, as I suggested, might be in order. Them being the people that would know about the protocol and might be able to actually see the bits flying back and forth.