Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20k miles update on battery / range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
Here is a quick update on my now 6 month old Model Y Performance. This graph is generated using Teslafi.com, a logging service that tracks everything the car does. There are thousands of other users so it has data from many other vehicles and allows you to compare. My range is pretty high compared to all other cars with the same milage. Part of it is that my car is only 6 month old while most other cars with similar milage are probably older. Calendar aging is thus lower on my vehicle. But I don't think that alone doesn't explain my car doing so well on battery degradation.

This is my third Tesla. I had 320k on my first and 240k on my second one when I replaced them. I had plenty of opportunity to try different strategies. After seeing the recent interview with Prof Jeff Dahn and looking at some of the research being done with Tesla cells, I followed the latest recommendations. Stay around 50%, only charge as much as you need to go to the next charging stations. Keep charge cycles shallow. Avoid going very low. That's it.

I am on the road almost all the time. I use Supercharging 95.5% of the time. Supercharging is not bad for the battery.

Side note: I found a small discrepancy between what Teslafi shows as range vs what is on the car's screen. It is only 2 miles difference, but the car shows a little more on screen than it reports on the API that used by TeslaFi.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 12.44.28 PM.png