Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" for $150?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_2528.JPG
I was talking to a guy at a supercharger that had these on his S. They look pretty darn good. The offsets seems to protude a little though. Anyways at $150 on tire rack these too good to be true?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=70D

I read a couple of pages stating that Axis Wheels went out of business. That model is also not on their website. Seems indicative of some issues. Maybe try calling them if you're not completely turned off to them?

View attachment 201276 I was talking to a guy at a supercharger that had these on his S. They look pretty darn good. The offsets seems to protude a little though. Anyways at $150 on tire rack these too good to be true?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=70D

Hi Ram,

I'm thinking to buy the same 21" Axis wheels from Tire Rack because the price is too attractive. But I'm a little worried because some people mentioned that there may be some issues for such a low price. I'm wondering if you have any issue with the wheels?

Thanks!

Everyone please be cautious when buying bargain wheels. Many aftermarket wheel companies do not properly test their wheels. Often the wheels are designs copied from legitimate, tested brands. These replica wheels or "reps" as they are sometimes referred to may be new to some here but they have caused owners of other makes and models countless headaches for years, often failing catastrophically. With a Model S weighing in close to an SUV and with your friends and family riding on them it's a good idea to get a quality set of aftermarket forged or flow form wheels that are properly tested and engineered to bend on impact rather than crack or otherwise break apart. A quick google search of "replica wheels" or "replica wheel failure" should yield enough results.

192be3bsloeoyjpg.jpg
IMG_6813.jpg
wtfwheel2.jpg
Lotus LSS Wheel Broken 2 web_zpsrmcxla87.jpg

I've had Axis wheels before on other cars and had no issues. But yes, you get what you pay for. They are heavy low pressure cast wheels made in Taiwan. Looks like the $150 price is a closeout price. I'm sure these would be fine, but if you can afford higher quality wheels, I would definitely suggest those instead.

Everyone please be cautious when buying bargain wheels. Many aftermarket wheel companies do not properly test their wheels. Often the wheels are designs copied from legitimate, tested brands. These replica wheels or "reps" as they are sometimes referred to may be new to some here but they have caused owners of other makes and models countless headaches for years, often failing catastrophically. With a Model S weighing in close to an SUV and with your friends and family riding on them it's a good idea to get a quality set of aftermarket forged or flow form wheels that are properly tested and engineered to bend on impact rather than crack or otherwise break apart. A quick google search of "replica wheels" or "replica wheel failure" should yield enough results.

View attachment 203822 View attachment 203823 View attachment 203824 View attachment 203825
Thanks for the info. I will do more research before making the purchase :)

Reactions: UnpluggedP
I've had Axis wheels before on other cars and had no issues. But yes, you get what you pay for. They are heavy low pressure cast wheels made in Taiwan. Looks like the $150 price is a closeout price. I'm sure these would be fine, but if you can afford higher quality wheels, I would definitely suggest those instead.

I'm still looking here and there as I'm just trying to build a summer set. My backup plan is Vossen CVT :)

Hi Ram,

I'm thinking to buy the same 21" Axis wheels from Tire Rack because the price is too attractive. But I'm a little worried because some people mentioned that there may be some issues for such a low price. I'm wondering if you have any issue with the wheels?

Thanks!
No problems yet. The Tesla is not my daily driver so I probably only have a hundred miles on these Wheels. I'll post if anything goes wrong

Everyone please be cautious when buying bargain wheels. Many aftermarket wheel companies do not properly test their wheels. Often the wheels are designs copied from legitimate, tested brands. These replica wheels or "reps" as they are sometimes referred to may be new to some here but they have caused owners of other makes and models countless headaches for years, often failing catastrophically.

Good advice but not all replica wheels are junk. We have a wheel maker in Canada called "Replika" that is owned and operated by a parent company called Fastco Canada. The brand was launched in 2005 to fill the need for good quality and competitively priced wheels specifically designed for the original specifications of the vehicle:

Replika :: R187

Replika R187 (Painted/Gunmetal) Wheel | 1010Tires.com Online Wheel and Tire Store

I wouldn't be buying replicas from Taiwan but I trust this well-established "Replika" Canadian company that has a proven track record of building quality wheels, and I paid $190Can a wheel which is about $142 US, and they fit the Tesla centre caps and look really good to me:

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

So you can't paint all replicas with the same brush -- but your advice is still good with regard to other brands and to alert people to the issue.

Good advice but not all replica wheels are junk. We have a wheel maker in Canada called "Replika" that is owned and operated by a parent company called Fastco Canada. The brand was launched in 2005 to fill the need for good quality and competitively priced wheels specifically designed for the original specifications of the vehicle:

Replika :: R187

Replika R187 (Painted/Gunmetal) Wheel | 1010Tires.com Online Wheel and Tire Store

I wouldn't be buying replicas from Taiwan but I trust this well-established "Replika" Canadian company that has a proven track record of building quality wheels, and I paid $190Can a wheel which is about $142 US, and they fit the Tesla centre caps and look really good to me:

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

So you can't paint all replicas with the same brush -- but your advice is still good with regard to other brands and to alert people to the issue.

I also heard a few Tesla owners use this brand and I did try to search for 20" or 21" rims from Replika Canada. But it seems I didn't have any luck back then. But very good information. Appreciated it!