Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'21 MYP How To Turn Off Regen Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's harder for people that drove automatic transmissions, and easier for people that drove manual transmissions before. With a manual, releasing the accelerator does provide some deceleration, and downshifting would provide more. In an auto, releasing the accelerator mostly lets the car coast.

Each car is different in its power curve nd delivery, braking performance etc. If you were able to switch cars before, lease a car, use a friend's car etc, you should be able to adjust to driving an EV.

There was never an option to turn off regenerative braking. The setting was under Driving Settings, enabled changing the level of regenerative braking from Standard to Low. Newer Tesla vehicles do not have the ability to change the level of regenerative braking.
This is not true. This option was available in 2021, I used in on icy roads. Regen is like a break - may kill you on ice. Unfortunately, Tesla removed with updates. Not everybody lives in California!!!

This is not true. This option was available in 2021, I used in on icy roads. Regen is like a break - may kill you on ice. Unfortunately, Tesla removed with updates. Not everybody lives in California!!!
Just like regular 1-pedal driving.you need to learn to ease off the pedal to control regen yourself. I agree it should definitely be an option to limit it through the car, but a habit needs to change as a result to not just 100% let off of the accelerator if it's icy.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The car will reduce regen when it detects slipping, there's no danger. Some people don't like the feeling of slipping during the 0.1 seconds it takes for the car to react. It's the same in acceleration, traction control will reduce power but it takes a fraction of a second during which you feel the back end slip just a little bit. The only way for the car to find the limits of traction is to go over the limit and reduce.
Regen will regularly go back up again until it slips, then it goes down again etc, so the car is always near the traction limit.

On a dual motor the car will use the front motor more when it detects slipping, both for acceleration and for regen. Here too, it will always try to go back to the default of full regen from the back only.

The option that Tesla removed was to be able to select Low regenerative braking as opposed to Standard regenerative braking, not to turn off regenerative braking. (I own a 2020 LRMY that retains the option to select Low regenerative braking.)

Wish we had the option, I drove up to my cottage and I hate the feeling of the twitchy rear when the car regen brakes in the snow. In these types of conditions, I definitely want low regen braking

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    800.7 KB · Views: 75
The thing is that the car needs to find the limits of traction and to find them, the only way is to go over the limit and reduce. Since road conditions change continuously, the car needs to continuously push regen back up until it crosses the line and then pull back. I've found the system to be extremely responsive, adjusting in a fraction of a second and really not letting the back slip much, but it does slip. There's no way around.

Once you get used to it and gain confidence, you'll understand that there is no danger of the back passing up front (e.g. spinning). The traction/stability control systems are way too aggressive to let that happen. In fact, I would argue that the car doesn't let the wheels slip enough.

It's probably slightly worse on a single motor car. On my dual motor it's rear-biased but it starts using the front more when slipping occurs.

The thing is that the car needs to find the limits of traction and to find them, the only way is to go over the limit and reduce. Since road conditions change continuously, the car needs to continuously push regen back up until it crosses the line and then pull back. I've found the system to be extremely responsive, adjusting in a fraction of a second and really not letting the back slip much, but it does slip. There's no way around.

Once you get used to it and gain confidence, you'll understand that there is no danger of the back passing up front (e.g. spinning). The traction/stability control systems are way too aggressive to let that happen. In fact, I would argue that the car doesn't let the wheels slip enough.

It's probably slightly worse on a single motor car. On my dual motor it's rear-biased but it starts using the front more when slipping occurs.
Oh it slips more abruptly than any other car i have driven. And when it slips on ice, it does nothing to help you regain control. You are on your own. The Abs and traction control is ok, but the motors braking just ruin it. The other thing is, I still havent figured out if it really has any stability control (ESP). If it does, it could be improved a lot. Otherwise the model Y is a great car,

Note that letting go of the accelerator abruptly is equivalent to hard braking on other cars. If you press the brake hard on another car on ice, I presume it will slip just as badly. Practice letting go of the accelerator more gently, modulating it like a brake pedal (but in reverse). You can let it go hard, but the wheels will lock for a fraction of a second, much like abs would take a fraction of as second if you pressed your brake hard.

Can anyone comment on actual experience with excessive regen on slippery roads? I haven't noticed any problems at all during this winter, and we had a substantial amount of snow up here in the Great White North. Mind you, I have conditioned myself to be more alert for the need to slow down, and avoid lifting off the accelerator too quickly...
Just today I was wishing I could turn off regen due to loss of traction on snow and ice when I tried to slow down. Experienced total loss of control if I took my foot off the accelerator too quickly. It is Dangerous to say the least unless you are expecting it and know how to compensate. I suspect most drivers who don't routinely drive in snow could be in for a big surprise.

Just today I was wishing I could turn off regen due to loss of traction on snow and ice when I tried to slow down. Experienced total loss of control if I took my foot off the accelerator too quickly. It is Dangerous to say the least unless you are expecting it and know how to compensate. I suspect most drivers who don't routinely drive in snow could be in for a big surprise.
Well, you hit on the key point - just don't remove your foot quickly from the accelerator.... ;)

Reactions: GtiMart
Well, you hit on the key point - just don't remove your foot quickly from the accelerator.... ;)
I agree, like I said on the post I was expecting it. In fact I used the regen several times while driving to test the traction and drove at speeds based on conditions. My point was, Dangerous for people not expecting it or not familiar with driving on snow and ice. I've heard that Tesla may have some sort of snow mode, that reduces regen automatically when it senses slippage/loss of steerage, but don't know if this is true or not. From my limited testing if it exists, I'd say it takes affect too late or not at all. I had no indication of reduced regen on snow and ice.