Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 to 24 lr. Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Refresh would be good. With tax breaks i bought my 23 in Oct. Texas car. Not major difference but a little nicer in every way over the 21 Fremont version. Handling, fit and finish, suspension-ride, screen, cameras. I do like this one more.

I'm having the same 'self discussion' myself. I would however miss the passenger lumbar support and the bumper sonic sensors as they provide a very accurate measurement of distance. And my understanding is that the '24 model doesn't have TACC nor does it have the 'hold mode.' I've only got 25k on my '21 and Tesla is not very generous on trade-ins. If I wait for the refresh '25 model my car will be even worth less for trade next year. My original cost was $53k, so its a little hard to justify. I like my '21 just fine, but a new car also with a new warranty. Tough decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm having the same 'self discussion' myself. I would however miss the passenger lumbar support and the bumper sonic sensors as they provide a very accurate measurement of distance. And my understanding is that the '24 model doesn't have TACC nor does it have the 'hold mode.' I've only got 25k on my '21 and Tesla is not very generous on trade-ins. If I wait for the refresh '25 model my car will be even worth less for trade next year. My original cost was $53k, so its a little hard to justify. I like my '21 just fine, but a new car also with a new warranty. Tough decision.

Unless you’re having issues with battery degradation, I don’t know why you’d replace a 3 year old car with the same slightly newer, and slightly decontented, car.

That said, my 24 MY which is vision only does have TACC (and autopilot), and it does have HOLD.

I agree with your comparison, but I'm NOT having the thoughts of upgrading.

My 2021, with 51k miles, MPP Comfort Coilovers (adjustable) does everything I want it to do, WITHOUT any creaks/rattles. The paint is flawless, panel gaps are perfect all around.

I have a 21 LR and thinking about getting a 24 lr. For those that did it, is it worth it? Any regrers?

It depend of your mileage, but since there is basically no maintenace of EVs, replacing a perfectly working vehicle
would be more justified in my personal case if there were any majot update, such noticeable range increase.
One thing to considere, would be the sale taxes which varies and also can be based only on trade-in or the full new price.

Im actually looking since the payment may be less, get hw4, and better build from what i hear. In addition, my warranty will be up soon. Id personally looking now since the first year of a new version usually has issues and i wouldn’t buy that one anyway

I'd think that '21 owners will tend to say no and '24 owners will tend to say yes. This is the nature of opinions when polling two groups with separate interests. There's no substitute for a test drive, if you're able.

Unless you’re having issues with battery degradation, I don’t know why you’d replace a 3 year old car with the same slightly newer, and slightly decontented, car.

That said, my 24 MY which is vision only does have TACC (and autopilot), and it does have HOLD.
This - Did I miss something regarding stop mode changes? is what made me think that the '24's didn't have TACC or HOLD.
My suspension has softened a little in 3 years, and rides a little better now. I've enjoyed the car immensely. Paint and build are probably above average.

me & my friend have 2020 MYLR-we both looking to trade in and I jumped in @ the very end of 2023-got over $4K discount +$1k Cybertruck reservation discount, 6 months free SC, 10K royalty points. He checked the value week ago & dropped nearly $5k-I told him the more you wait the value it'll drop. I filed my tax and the new 2023 MYLR is dirt cheap besides huge up grades: heated steering wheel, 12v l ion battery, double pane glass, Rayzon chip, Matrix headlight, improved suspension, HW4, higher camera resolution etc.

I have a 2021 MY as well but the future models seem to be getting progressively worse (No USS, stalks, gear shift, front looks worse, etc.). Buying a new Tesla is like rolling a dice with the kind of quality issues you will have. I seriously don't know what to get next... maybe the Rivian R2 (2026) or the Macan EV (pricey end)? Or just wait some more and see what 2025/26 looks like.

WRT Models 3 and Y, I strongly disagree with that statement. Tesla maybe removing hardware but the quality is noticeably better. The new model Ys I drove were all better quality and the Highland I drove (whatever I thought of the lack of stalks) was superb.
I still see a number of posts on this forum and others with quality issues at delivery (scratches, gaps, paint, rattles, etc.). It's enough for me to weigh other options at this point.

• Disagree
Reactions: tashtibet
I still see a number of posts on this forum and others with quality issues at delivery (scratches, gaps, paint, rattles, etc.). It's enough for me to weigh other options at this point.
The last “rattle” thread I saw about a new Model Y ended up being the front passenger side seatbelt knocking against the side of the seat when not being used…that’s not a rattle; that’s paranoia!

WRT Models 3 and Y, I strongly disagree with that statement. Tesla maybe removing hardware but the quality is noticeably better. The new model Ys I drove were all better quality and the Highland I drove (whatever I thought of the lack of stalks) was superb.
I put an eagle eye to my MYP during delivery and didn't find any issues. It's been quiet and solid. Everything seems to work rather well (auto-pilot aside). I'd read about all the issues Tesla was having -- what was reaching the public's eyes -- and I half expected to have a punch-list of issues for the to address, but either I got lucky or they've made improvements because this particular car is aces. Very well made all across the board.

I would only consider it with favorable financial circumstances. Like maybe this is the last year you will qualify for the federal 7500 and/or state incentives and the deal on the car is also excellent. Otherwise it's just about the same car.