Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21s, 20s or 19s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my MYP but I read that downsizing to 19s has a lot of benefits (ride quality, tire availability, range and efficiency, etc). I’ve even read some claims of increased 0-60 times though I’m a bit suspicious. I imagine you would sacrifice some performance and maybe the “factory look” if you’re into that sort of thing, but since this is my daily driver I don’t need insane, track-ready wheels and tires. Nonetheless I’m conflicted and wonder if maybe 20s would be a good compromise. Marginal improvement in ride quality/range and minimize the impact on performance. Thoughts?

The width and compound of the tire has a much bigger effect on performance than the diameter of the wheel. The 21" Uberturbine wheels are staggered (with 275 in back). Moving to a narrower all-season tire is going to impart a performance penalty, regardless of what the diameter of the wheel is.

General consensus is that a 20" setup will ride better than the 21", though the difference is small. Truth is, almost nobody actually needs the full performance of a MYP. A small hit in performance for a better ride is going to be a worthwhile tradeoff for most people.

I wish Tesla would not be so ridiculous with the wheel choices on these cars and just let people who buy a MYP choose 20" wheels from the factory.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Upvote 0
It is true that a lighter wheel can yield slightly better 0 - 60 times (0.1 to 0.2 second). Performance Model Y owners have stated that the 21" wheels provide better handling and make the Performance Model Y ride like it is on rails. The downside it that you give up approximately 10% efficiency due to the heavier 21" wheel and tire combo. The 20" wheels and tires actually weigh very close to the 19" wheel and tire combo. The Gemini wheel covers (if you don't mind the look) provide some additional efficiency that give an efficiency advantage to the 19" wheels if you use the Gemini wheel covers.

Upvote 0
Are there TMC forums for local wheel buy/sale? I tried looking but by search game is weak.

Getting nervious with my MYP 21" factory tires and they only have 2k miles on them. Looking to go 275/45 R19 square setup as it seems to be closest to the factory 21" overall wheel diameter.

Upvote 0
Looking to go 275/45 R19 square setup as it seems to be closest to the factory 21" overall wheel diameter.
I'd recommend maintaining the front wheel tire size of 255/45R19 all around if you're making any changes for comfort and efficiency/range reasons. The factory front tire on the 21" rim of the MYP is 255/35/R21.

If you're looking for performance, 275/45R19 will work but your speedo will be off by ~2.7% since the front axle is where speed is taken from and is expecting a tire diameter of 28".

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Upvote 0
These are amazing. My friend and I both but these on our 2021 Model Y Performance

Zink Enterprise

20" ENTERPRISE Fully-Forged Wheel for Tesla Model Y - Carbon Black

Then on all four corners: Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 275/40ZR20

The complete change in the vehicle is amazing -- huge drop in unsprung weight with these forged wheels.

Tires fit perfectly and are amazing - plus you can now rotate tires. Working great on two MYPs!

Upvote 0
These are amazing. My friend and I both but these on our 2021 Model Y Performance

Zink Enterprise

20" ENTERPRISE Fully-Forged Wheel for Tesla Model Y - Carbon Black

Then on all four corners: Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS - SIZE: 275/40ZR20

The complete change in the vehicle is amazing -- huge drop in unsprung weight with these forged wheels.

Tires fit perfectly and are amazing - plus you can now rotate tires. Working great on two MYPs!
Got pics?

Upvote 0