Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" Wheels in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to see if anybody has gone into the snow with their 22's using either summer or all season tires.

Any feedback about how it handled, availability of snow chains, pics/videos is much appreciated.

I ask because I would go to Lake Tahoe once a season so does not warrant buying another set of wheels just for 1 weekend/year. Would like to take the X and avoid having to take a different vehicle.

Thanks

Summer tires have 0 traction on snow or ice. The rubber compounds harden into hockey pucks in temperatures below 40F and they lack siping (small cuts in the treads) to grip ice.

Driving on summer tires in these conditions will result in spinning, sliding, and loss of control. Don't try it.

All seasons are OK on light snow. For deep snow or ice you want dedicated snow tires.

tirerack.com has a wealth of information on these topics, including owner reviews and Tirerack's own empirical testing of most popular tires in many conditions.

Summer tires have 0 traction on snow or ice. The rubber compounds harden into hockey pucks in temperatures below 40F and they lack siping (small cuts in the treads) to grip ice.

Driving on summer tires in these conditions will result in spinning, sliding, and loss of control. Don't try it.

All seasons are OK on light snow. For deep snow or ice you want dedicated snow tires.

tirerack.com has a wealth of information on these topics, including owner reviews and Tirerack's own empirical testing of most popular tires in many conditions.

Thanks for this. Am thinking about going all season tires in light snow with my 22's

Rationale being I go to Lake Tahoe once per season so don't want the expense of another set of tires. If I can do all season with my 22's in light snow that should suffice.

Have you found any chains that fit the 22's?

If both 20" and 22" have the same all season tires traction should be the same right?

Have you found any chains that fit the 22's?
The problem isn't so much chains to fit a 22" tire as it is chains for the 22s that won't damage the suspension. The clearance just isn't there.
Look instead at Autosock (here) as an alternative. I believe they have a model that will fit 22", but not 100% sure. Consumer Reports showed excellent traction increase with the Autosock, but they weren't happy with the difficulty of installation.

I'm not sure which tires are being delivered on which cars currently but they used to put AS tires on the non-P vehicles and Summer Performance tires on the P vehicles. This was the case with 20's or 22's.

I would be interested to see what they are putting on cars now.

I have 90d, pirelli scorpion all seasons but in light snow pack they feel like what someone above explained how the performance tires are. They feel like hardened hockey pucks and slide way more then id expect. My michelins on my model s were astronomically different then what I would of expected these to be. Looks like im snow tire shopping.

Wanted to see if anybody has gone into the snow with their 22's using either summer or all season tires.

Any feedback about how it handled, availability of snow chains, pics/videos is much appreciated.

I ask because I would go to Lake Tahoe once a season so does not warrant buying another set of wheels just for 1 weekend/year. Would like to take the X and avoid having to take a different vehicle.

Thanks
Yes, and my tire does have an M+S on sidewall, but it's hard to find......posted some observations here:

Driving in icy/snow condition