Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Hour Charging Timer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put this timer together tonight to test charging in Off Peak hours. Grainger PN 2E022.
If I do a full ON Peak charge it's $15.47 or $0.046 per/mile, OFF Peak it's $6.54 or $0.02 per/mile for an 85kW battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Timer cost $60.11

The whole assembly is less than $100.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 593
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 571
I have this same timer still on my wall next to a breaker panel. It was installed in 1997 to provide TOU power for my GM EV1. The timer is now bypassed in preparation for the forthcoming HPWC. These timers are built proof, but I think if I were to use one again I would switch to a digital one - seems more 21st century.

Possible?

I put this timer together tonight to test charging in Off Peak hours. Grainger PN 2E022.
If I do a full ON Peak charge it's $15.47 or $0.046 per/mile, OFF Peak it's $6.54 or $0.02 per/mile for an 85kW battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Timer cost $60.11

The whole assembly is less than $100.

I actually posted this in another thread, but it looks like this one might be more applicable for my question:
Would it be possible to get a second meter and somehow have your house usage switch between the 2 to get the best rate for the given time?
For example:
Right now I'm not on a time of use plan and pay a flat rate of $0.13/kwh.
If I go to a time of use meter I will be paying $0.05/kwh from 8am-8am.

There is a $0.30 a day fee for the additional meter, but that should pay for itself quickly.

So ideally I would like all house usage to be on the static $0.13/kwh rate meter from 8am-8pm and the switch to the time of use meter from 8pm-8am.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?

A couple of things about this particular timer:

First, the T103 has a 120V clock motor, so it will require a neutral conductor. For a 14-50 outlet it's fine, for a 6-50, you'll need a different model (T104).

Second, the specifications sheet spells out a maximum wire size of #8. This means you can't use NM cable (Romex) with it, because a 50A circuit (40A continuous load) requires #6 for 50A circuit and the terminals on the clock can only handle #8.

Third, and the biggest one, is that this timer is not approved for the loads that you're placing on it. While the timer says it's rated for 40A, NEC requires the rating for all equipment carrying continuous loads to be rated at 125% of the continuous load. This means you need a 50A timer (I was searching for off-the-shelf products the other day but didn't find any easily; most electricians can build them using contactors).

A couple of things about this particular timer:

First, the T103 has a 120V clock motor, so it will require a neutral conductor. For a 14-50 outlet it's fine, for a 6-50, you'll need a different model (T104).

Second, the specifications sheet spells out a maximum wire size of #8. This means you can't use NM cable (Romex) with it, because a 50A circuit (40A continuous load) requires #6 for 50A circuit and the terminals on the clock can only handle #8.

Third, and the biggest one, is that this timer is not approved for the loads that you're placing on it. While the timer says it's rated for 40A, NEC requires the rating for all equipment carrying continuous loads to be rated at 125% of the continuous load. This means you need a 50A timer (I was searching for off-the-shelf products the other day but didn't find any easily; most electricians can build them using contactors).

Thanks I was going crazy trying to find such a thing for 50A circuit that didn't cost $400.