TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

24' vs 8' HPWC?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by T3slaCanuck, May 12, 2018.

1. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

Are there advantages/disadvantages to getting an 8' vs 24' HPWC? It appears to be the same price so I'm just wondering if I should just get the longer cable. Does size matter?

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Go long.

You can reach an extra car in the drive if necessary.

Short looks neater, less wire to coil.

There might be some additional loss in a longer cable, but not enough to worry about.

• Like x 1
  3. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

The only way it would matter electrically is if you have a really long total length, ie more than 100 feet. Your voltage drop goes up more with length. However, choosing the right cables to feed the HPWC mitigates that.

Otherwise its about what you need the connect your car....

If you are definitely sure you will never need longer than 6-7 feet, go with the short one. Otherwise, go with long one.

4. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

I put in an 8.5', and am regretting it. I can only charge my S parked one way in the garage. If I want to charge a 2nd car (like the 3 that's on order or a visiting friend), I need to move the cars around.

I'm going to swap it out for a 24', or add a 2nd one that is 24'. Apparently I can't just buy the longer cable - I asked. I did see it at one website for $300 USD, but that's not worth it if I can get a rebate on a new HPWC with the 3.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I got the 24' just to give me options with a 2 car garage and 4 car driveway. It will be coiled up 95% of the time. I currently have off site winter storage for my Harley but if its stored here i will have to move the 3 to the other bay. The 24' will allow me to take the cable over the garage door and back down the the left rear of the 3 in the other bay. Same price, more options.

• Like x 1
  6. animorph

animorph Active Member

Go with the 24'. I did 8.5' for my X, $50 less at the time. It works fine, but only for one car parked the same way all the time. I'll get a 24' when we get the 3. That allows us to mount it on the wall to the right of the car and reach across the back of the car to the charge port on the left, or charge if we pull in backward, or possibly charge other cars in the garage. The 24' would have been tough to coil up where I have the 8.5' connector, but would have been able to reach any car in the garage. Just tie up the excess if it's too much for now.

• Like x 1
  7. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yep I echo the 24. Never thought I would need that much till the garage door springs broke one day. Had to park the car outside till the guys could fix the door days later. The 24’ was able to make it out under the door to the car outside. Also works well for visitors ;)

• Informative x 2
  8. akidesir

akidesir Member

I ordered the 8 and then exchanged it for the 24. Same price, and more options with the 24 made it a no brainer.

9. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered the 24'.

• Like x 1
  10. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

11. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

I thought I'd put this out there - if anyone has a 24" and they wish they had a shorter cable for neatness, please let me know. Mine 8.5' is a 2nd gen that I just installed a couple months ago. Happy to add $50 to boot as well. PM me please - GTA area only. (Looking for 2nd gen back too).