Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24' vs 8' HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way it would matter electrically is if you have a really long total length, ie more than 100 feet. Your voltage drop goes up more with length. However, choosing the right cables to feed the HPWC mitigates that.

Otherwise its about what you need the connect your car....

If you are definitely sure you will never need longer than 6-7 feet, go with the short one. Otherwise, go with long one.

I put in an 8.5', and am regretting it. I can only charge my S parked one way in the garage. If I want to charge a 2nd car (like the 3 that's on order or a visiting friend), I need to move the cars around.

I'm going to swap it out for a 24', or add a 2nd one that is 24'. Apparently I can't just buy the longer cable - I asked. I did see it at one website for $300 USD, but that's not worth it if I can get a rebate on a new HPWC with the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: pmich80 and 03DSG
I got the 24' just to give me options with a 2 car garage and 4 car driveway. It will be coiled up 95% of the time. I currently have off site winter storage for my Harley but if its stored here i will have to move the 3 to the other bay. The 24' will allow me to take the cable over the garage door and back down the the left rear of the 3 in the other bay. Same price, more options.

Reactions: akidesir
Go with the 24'. I did 8.5' for my X, $50 less at the time. It works fine, but only for one car parked the same way all the time. I'll get a 24' when we get the 3. That allows us to mount it on the wall to the right of the car and reach across the back of the car to the charge port on the left, or charge if we pull in backward, or possibly charge other cars in the garage. The 24' would have been tough to coil up where I have the 8.5' connector, but would have been able to reach any car in the garage. Just tie up the excess if it's too much for now.

Reactions: akidesir