Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240v charger instantly unlocking & won't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2020 M3 LR AWD that's been happily charging on a variety of UK 240v outlets for months with the provided travel cable. Today, when I plugged it in, the charge port locked, then instantly unlocked and wouldn't charge. Plugging it in again yielded the same results.

I tried a few different things:
  • Different outlet & circuit (x2) - no change
  • Plug in car first, then charger - the car end would happily stay locked until the charger plugged in, but the second it received current, it would unlock
  • Reset by holding down steering wheel buttons - no change, but I did hear the charge port lock engaging and disengaging a bit; not sure if that's normal
The charger has solid green when plugged in and very briefly switches to the rolling green "charging" state when plugged into the car, then back to solid when it unlocks.

Anyone had experience with this? I'm in the middle of nowhere and it'll take awhile to get a service appointment, so hoping there's an easy fix!

I'm confused. Does it beep or show an error on the screen at all explaining what's wrong? It normally communicates any problems very well. But it's green so should be good?

Since it's green, yes do check scheduled charging settings (pull up the charging screen) after plugging it in. They also changed how Scheduled Departure works now, so check that too. I don't use it, but I saw it under the climate control settings.

I'm confused. Does it beep or show an error on the screen at all explaining what's wrong? It normally communicates any problems very well. But it's green so should be good?

Since it's green, yes do check scheduled charging settings (pull up the charging screen) after plugging it in. They also changed how Scheduled Departure works now, so check that too. I don't use it, but I saw it under the climate control settings.

Nope, no warnings, no scheduled anything. Very perplexing.

Is anyone aware of any kind of issue or action that results in charging being cancelled and the cable unlocking? It feels like that’s the sort of event being triggered here.

Nope, no warnings, no scheduled anything. Very perplexing.

Is anyone aware of any kind of issue or action that results in charging being cancelled and the cable unlocking? It feels like that’s the sort of event being triggered here.

What happens if you manually try to lock the port from the car charging screen (I think this is an option)? What if you try to start charging from the car screen?

Look for debris that might be interfering with the locking mechanism. Also: Check both the plug and the port for any debris or if anything is broken (like the charge port deadfronts). Usually this would manifest differently but just looking for ideas of things that would actually be user-fixable (the deadfronts are not very important). It’s possible there is an unfixable issue with your charge port but don’t want to give up right away.

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help.

“Start charging” from both the screen and the app results in the button briefly graying out, then returning to the same state (so still says “start charging”). No messages or anything like that.

No debris in the charger that I can see.

The locking mechanism actually works fine — if I plug in my Type 2 cable to the car with the wall socket turned off, it locks successfully. The second I turn on the wall socket, it unlocks.

Thanks for trying to help.

“Start charging” from both the screen and the app results in the button briefly graying out, then returning to the same state (so still says “start charging”). No messages or anything like that.

No debris in the charger that I can see.

The locking mechanism actually works fine — if I plug in my Type 2 cable to the car with the wall socket turned off, it locks successfully. The second I turn on the wall socket, it unlocks.

It didn't sound like you had tried a different UMC or different charging equipment (an EV station nearby somewhere, which seems like it could be a challenge for you in the middle of nowhere). I'd try that next, rather than just plugging your UMC into a different circuit.

I guess you could also try plugging and unplugging the adapter from your UMC, visually inspecting every part of it, etc. Sounds like you might be out of luck, but kind of sounds like it could be a UMC issue which is not triggering any of the normal fault detections.

Do you hear the relay clicking on in the UMC, even if it immediately reopens? If not, you could try whacking the thing (the UMC) a few times with your hand I suppose. Based on the sound, it is a mechanical relay, so it's possible this could help if it's stuck (we have no idea, so far).

I suppose it also could be the release button on the charge handle. Maybe it's permanently stuck in the closed (pressed) position? Could whack that a bit, or push it a few times, too, lol. When in doubt, hit things. Just don't hit it when it is attached to your car, and don't hit your car. The car is expensive, the UMC is not (it's just a glorified switch). And it is easily swapped out under warranty assuming you can charge your car properly, somewhere.

On the Wall Connector neither of these two explanations really make any sense. The green lights don’t start flowing until the relay closes. And I don’t know how the relay would ever close if the button on the handle were pressed. It would just immediately release the lock.

Last edited:
I definitely do hear the relay clicking. Button doesn’t seem to be the issue - I can depress it when the UMC is plugged into the car, and the Tesla light switches to red, then back to white when I let go of the button.

Some weird behavior I just noticed — it seems like maybe the car is switching into some kind of “preparing to drive” mode when the charger is plugged in and powered? I say this because the headlights come on when it’s plugged in, something I’ve never observed before.

Also, I noticed that there’s a few residual clicks after the charge port closes. I’m wondering whether there’s some sort of relay inside the car that’s catching and not getting into place properly to allow a charge.

I can depress it when the UMC is plugged into the car, and the Tesla light switches to red, then back to white when I let go of the button.

Do you mean the Tesla light on the car? Or the UMC?

On my car, for the light on the charge port, when pressing the button, it switches to a gray color, then switches back to the more white color, after releasing the button and letting the charge handle lock engage again.

Red seems bad.

I’m wondering whether there’s some sort of relay inside the car that’s catching and not getting into place properly to allow a charge.

Maybe. It might be broken. If you've done all of these things and can't identify any obvious mechanical problem (deadfronts, etc.), then you might be out of luck and have a broken charge port.

Still worth trying different charging equipment if you can get one, before dropping off with Tesla, but seems like it could be non-trivial for you.

Have you tried putting the car into drive when the UMC is plugged in? It sounds like the car would probably drive; is that safety interlock broken? (That would be pretty bad!)

On my car, for the light on the charge port, when pressing the button, it switches to a gray color, then switches back to the more white color, after releasing the button and letting the charge handle lock engage again.

Red seems bad.

Doh. Yes, don’t love this. But I can’t find a diagnostic anywhere.

Have you tried putting the car into drive when the UMC is plugged in

Yes, thankfully it still says “check charging cable” and refuses to shift into drive.

I’ll try some different equipment tomorrow and see if any of it works. Not enough charge left to drive to the nearest Tesla service center (200 miles), but booked a mobile service for a week from now, and fortunately don’t need to travel before then...

Doh. Yes, don’t love this. But I can’t find a diagnostic anywhere.

Maybe it was blue on my car, not gray - not sure, but certainly no red at all when pushing that button. Anyway:

• WHITE: The charge port door is open. Model 3 is ready to charge and the connector is not inserted, or the charge port latch is unlocked and the connector is ready to be removed.NOTE: In cold ambient temperatures below 41° F (5° C), the charge port remains unlocked whenever the vehicle is not charging. In these situations, the charge port light is white.•
BLUE:Model 3 detects that a connector has been plugged in.•
BLINKING BLUE:Model 3 is communicating with the connector. Either Model 3 is preparing to charge, or a charging session is scheduled to begin at a specified future time.•
BLINKING GREEN: Charging is in progress. As Model 3 approaches a full charge, the frequency of the blinking slows.•
SOLID GREEN: Charging is complete.•
SOLID AMBER: The connector is not fully plugged in. Realign the connector to the charge port and insert fully.•
BLINKING AMBER:Model 3 is charging at a reduced current (AC charging only).•
RED: A fault is detected and charging has stopped. Check the touchscreen for a fault message.

Do you mean the Tesla light on the car? Or the UMC?

He's in the UK. They don't use the UMC there.

All they have is a cable, and they rely on the RCD protections from their more advanced breakers, if I understand correctly.

I tried a few different things:
  • Different outlet & circuit (x2) - no change
  • Plug in car first, then charger - the car end would happily stay locked until the charger plugged in, but the second it received current, it would unlock
  • Reset by holding down steering wheel buttons - no change, but I did hear the charge port lock engaging and disengaging a bit; not sure if that's normal

It seems like you've tried everything except replacing the cable.

I'd go with that, only it would be great if you could borrow one obviously.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
. They don't use the UMC there.

All they have is a cable, and they rely on the RCD protections from their more advanced breakers, if I understand correctly.

I have no idea what the OP actually has, but I did look this up first, before responding. Gen 2 Universal Mobile Connector

So, a UMC does exist in Europe as well. It just has a type 2 handle (or something - I don't keep track of all the standard variants of European EV plugs). But I have no info on what the OP has.

They also have three-phase plug options. Corded Mobile Connector

In any case, we're talking about a device with a handle and a button, with a plug compatible with his vehicle, and somewhere in line with that cord, there is a relay. And he has referenced lights on the charging equipment. And he never took issue with my characterization of the UMC. So my guess is he has a UMC.

The charger has solid green when plugged in and very briefly switches to the rolling green "charging" state

This implied to me a UMC-like brick, which are available in the UK. But, it's just a guess.

In the end, all this stuff is is a glorified switch, anyway. To ensure safe charging, with a bunch of relatively sophisticated sensing (temperature, grounding, continuity, etc.) circuitry, appropriate circuits to monitor and respond to car signals, etc. But in the end, just a simple switch. There always has to be a switch somewhere.

Last edited:
OK, I think I've satisfied myself that the issue is the UMC.
  • Went to a public charger and used a Type 2 <> Type 2 cable: worked fine!
  • Went to a totally separate house and tried the UMC: same bad behavior.
No idea why the UMC went bad — I charge outside in pretty rainy weather, so maybe that. Maybe a power surge. Maybe gremlins.

Unfortunately, Tesla UMCs are out of stock online, but I’ll call service tomorrow and see if they can dig one up for me. Ordering a backup CCS2 off-brand wall plug on Amazon just in case.

I have no idea what the OP actually has, but I did look this up first, before responding. Gen 2 Universal Mobile Connector

So, a UMC does exist in Europe as well. It just has a type 2 handle (or something - I don't keep track of all the standard variants of European EV plugs). But I have no info on what the OP has.

They also have three-phase plug options. Corded Mobile Connector

I wonder what I was thinking of. Do they ship with UMC both in Europe and UK?

Any idea what is with the whole "bring your own cable" thing in UK and/or Europe?

I wonder what I was thinking of. Do they ship with UMC both in Europe and UK?

Any idea what is with the whole "bring your own cable" thing in UK and/or Europe?
Yeah, those are two different scenarios you're thinking of. The UMC is for plugging into outlets. They have those in both places.

What you're thinking of is for AC electricity public charging stations, and those have the difference.
In the U.S., all of the public stations have the charging cable attached. It is Type 1 (known as J1772). In most of Europe, their stations just have a port built into the stations (Type 2) that looks like the port on the cars, and you have to use your own cable with plugs on both ends to connect to them.

Yeah, those are two different scenarios you're thinking of. The UMC is for plugging into outlets. They have those in both places.

What you're thinking of is for AC electricity public charging stations, and those have the difference.
In the U.S., all of the public stations have the charging cable attached. It is Type 1 (known as J1772). In most of Europe, their stations just have a port built into the stations (Type 2) that looks like the port on the cars, and you have to use your own cable with plugs on both ends to connect to them.

Very informative! Thanks. I had no idea (since I didn’t want to research) so was staying mum.

Some cars like the LEAF used to (and maybe still do) have type 1 inlets and the owner would have a type 2 to type 1 cable for public charging. I also think it isn't unheard-of for people to have the station that needs the separate cable at home.

The type 2 connector allows for 3 phase charging while the type 1 only supports single phase. This allows for 44kw AC charging (230v x 64a x 3) which is much cheaper to install than DC charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H