Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

245 miles at 80 percent - Mid Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my tesla in March and it only has 4900 miles now .. it started at 263 miles at 100 percent and now only gives 196 miles at 80 percent and shows 245 as rated range and 192 as real range

Is this normal ?

Attachments

• B87F17E5-71C5-4EDB-8EBC-43EEA38DCEFC.png
    B87F17E5-71C5-4EDB-8EBC-43EEA38DCEFC.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 122
A couple of things, but it isn't a problem
  • Software updates have been playing with the numbers
  • You need to charge to 100% every few months. Hopefully you periodically take some long trips and do this by default. If you haven't take a long trip, you need to do so.
  • Stop worrying about the battery.

I bought my tesla in March and it only has 4900 miles now .. it started at 263 miles at 100 percent and now only gives 196 miles at 80 percent and shows 245 as rated range and 192 as real range

Is this normal ?

Since that is not the rated range information in the car (but instead from a third party app), I would not worry too much about it. What does it say in the car (not in the stats app) when you charge to 100%?

Is this normal ?

You are not alone. Quite a few people have reported similar fluctuations in range. However, not everyone is affected by this issue. For example, I haven't had any range reporting issues with my 8-month old RWD LR.

There is no official answer from Tesla. There are a lot of theories, remedies, advice here, but nobody really knows for sure why this happens to only some cars. Some people have tried pretty much everything to "recalibrate", but it hasn't helped.

I think the best thing you can do is to report it to Tesla. They may not attend to your individual request, but hopefully getting similar reports from a lot of people would get their attention.

Is this normal ?
You didn't say what model you have. Is it a SR+ or a MR? The battery health graph on the 2nd page is the one you should be looking at to get a sense of whether things are normal. And having said that, you shouldn't be concerned unless you have a sudden and dramatic 10% change in Rated Range.

What Stats shows in the upper right circle is what your car should be showing on the dash. The upper left circle is what it calculates based upon your driving style. Obviously, you're less efficient than the EPA rating, so your range shows 152m instead of 196m, probably due to fast driving, being in SoCal. Also looking down in the left corner it shows a Wh/mi of 322. That's also indicative of your fast driving. If you want to get the rated range for your vehicle, you need to keep the Wh/mi below 250.

I had this issue; my LR said 100% was 280 miles. I found hanging out for a week or two in 20%-50% battery range (charging only to 50%) and then finally charging to 100% (be sure to let it continue charging at 100% until it says "Charging Complete" This seemed to have recalibrated the battery and I had 305 miles at 100% again.

For me this worked when a 100%-5%-100% run did not.