Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

245 vs 275 Rear Winter Tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So - I am going to have a winter 21" set for my P100D. Pirelli doesn't make a 265/35 21" winter tire to match the staggered setup of the summer tires. TireRack recommends 245 all around. But 245 on the wider rear wheel looks like a kid with too small of shoes. There is a 275/35 matching Pirelli winter tire but of course it is more expensive. Should I go with 245 all around or 275 in the rear? Thoughts?

I used the following Tire Size calculator and the 275 rear tires look a lot closer to the 265 than the 245 https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Thanks for your help!

I thought Tesla got out of the business of offering staggered since the P85.

Is P100D coming from the factory this way, or are you staggering by choice and have selected wider aftermarket rims at the back.. is that right?

If you swap for the season (months), then I’d go with 275. Yes, narrower is better in the snow, but it’s the (winter) tire itself that is of most importance. A winter tread pattern and compound is what provides the grip you need.

Narrow is better for snow. I would also seriously consider finding 18" or 19" wheels and going to a minus 1 configuration for winter tyres. Just get inexpensive steel wheels - you don't want $2000 wheels getting salt and sand on them unless you plan on washing the vehicle 2x a week.

Reactions: linkster