Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-25, M3 not charging at all on my 110?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not entirely true, I had my car outside in -25 to -35 weather over Xmas, charging on 120V 12A with an extension cord. The car was actually pulling about 110V and 10A most of the time. It did add range, but very slowly - about 1% every 2-3 hours. It was only noticeable because the car was parked for four days without moving, if you check frequently it will seem not to be charging.

Reactions: PStewart
Up at my chalet and so only have 110 charging.Plugged it in at 3 pm yesterday, car was at 74kms range.Woke up this morning and it has not moved at all. Sentry not on. Any suggestions please?
I may provide some insight. It was -40 in Edmonton last week and I usually plug my car in at work which is a 110v and I believe what’s happening is the 1.4kwh energy was going straight to keeping the battery warm. So as the temp got warmer a couple days ago I was able to get maybe 2% gained at -20. Fast forward to today when it +6 outside I gained 20% in 10 hours. Highly recommend to get a 240v outlet at home if you can, it really takes the worry out of charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Biscuitman
Not entirely true, I had my car outside in -25 to -35 weather over Xmas, charging on 120V 12A with an extension cord. The car was actually pulling about 110V and 10A most of the time. It did add range, but very slowly - about 1% every 2-3 hours.
It depends on when you plug in. If you plug in immediately after driving it will charge on 120v, because the battery is still warm. If you wait to plug in until after the battery has cold soaked you will normally not get any charge on 120v.

Good point but that only helps for a while. True it charges faster initially with a warm battery, but when I, for example, need 200+ miles, over days of 120v charge at negative 10+, that warm battery benefit dissipates over 12 hours or so, to nothing. Meaning that 5-6 miles/hour charge rate in the summer drops progressively to zero.