Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 new chargers in Ontario canadian-tire-locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That $ 20 / hour is a bit rich. A level 3 charge of 400V DC and 100A would be 40kw / hour = 50 cents / KWh.
So a Tesla 400km charge would be about $ 40.00
At current gas prices of about $ 1.00 / litre and a fairly thirsty 10 litre/100km car would pay also $ 40.00 for gas for the same distance.
A more efficient gas car would only pay $ 25.00
So what is the incentive to go electric?? Just the feel good for doing something for the environment won't cut it for the masses.

Reactions: Jaff and Imafrog
EnRoute charging means good bye to range anxiety but they need to bring the cost in line with what electricity really cost. I pay 0.087 cents off peak and 0.18 cent during peak. A full charge at peak pricing is around $15 charging from 0 to 100%.

EnRoute charging means good bye to range anxiety but they need to bring the cost in line with what electricity really cost. I pay 0.087 cents off peak and 0.18 cent during peak. A full charge at peak pricing is around $15 charging from 0 to 100%.

Not too sure about "good bye to range anxiety". Those chargers will have only one station. If out of commission or currently occupied you are either screwed or in for a long wait to get your turn. Even if the Tesla Superchargers have problems, most likely a few stations at the location are still operable.

Even the most expensive Blink charging net work in the US only charges US$ 9.99 per session for guests and US$ 6.99 for members

Wrong: What is the fee to charge at a Blink DC Fast Charger?

Charging fees are set by kilowatt-hour ("kWh" - a unit of energy typically used by electric utilities) or session, depending on what is permitted by the state, and membership status. We are a proponent of kWh pricing because it is usage-based and EV drivers pay fees based on the actual amount of power consumed during the charging session rather than the amount of time that the car is plugged into the station. Certain states permit kWh pricing and others do not.
State Member Rates Guest Rates
California $0.59/kWh $0.69/kWh
Pennsylvania $0.49/kWh $0.59/kWh
Oregon $0.49/kWh $0.59/kWh
Washington $0.49/kWh $0.59/kWh

All Other States $6.99/session $9.99/session

The most expensive rate is $0.69/kWh.

ChargePoint used to charge a per minute fee in addition to a per kWh fee... Now it appears they are just charging $0.40/kWh.

Correct for those States where charging by KWh is permitted, BUT Ontario does not allow reselling electricity unless you are a utility.
So, the charge per session is relevant for comparison.

But they aren't charging per session, they are charging per minute. Which I think is more comparable to charging for the kWhs used. (As long as you ignore the taper, which makes it even more expensive by the minute.)

Charging speeds don't remain constant which is a huge factor in how long you will be at the charging station.
As opposed to per minute? Why does it matter?

No two chargers charge at the exact same rate. So at the end of an hour one could have gained lets say 200 kms versus the guy that was right beside him who gained 250 kms. Is it fair that they are charge the same amount of money?

The Flo network standardizes on AddEnergie charging stations/network. (Flo is owned by them). The AddEnergie network allows the owner of the charging station to set the charge for the service.

They demonstrated their system to me (they tried to hire my company). I was able to change the rate from $1.00 per charge to $1.00 per hour, paid by the minute. I could change the rate too. Flo, the owner of the Canadian Tire chargers, will charge what the market will pay. If $20.00/hr is too expensive, they may lower their rates. I would NOT expect them to sell their power at a loss, as they are a business. They will be paying on-peak rates, delivery charges, HST, and perhaps a demand charge...... 50 KW/Hr for $20.00 is $0.40 per KW/Hr.

@skhenry81 quotes his Toronto rates....does not include delivery charges, HST, etc (or a demand charge), and is at $0.18 /KWHr. Rural rates are higher too. I'd expect, fully loaded cost may be closer to $.30 per KWHr at these stations, so $.40 is in line with what it costs them in "raw materials".

In Quebec, the same charge is $10.00, but their hydro cost is much cheaper