Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SC rates in Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla increased the SC rates in Ontario to 60 cents per KW.

In 2020 I could charge my SR+ for $6-$7. Now it's $25-$30 and keeps going up. Getting close to gas prices. Glad I don't travel much in Ontario.

Anyone use the IVY chargers in Ontario?
I know they are only 50 kW without the CCS Adapter but they might cost less if you don't need a full charge.
I used Ivy chargers before and haven't had a whole lot of good experience with them.
Also, keep in mind that Teslas heat the battery during charging, so even if the 50 kW charger delivered 50 kW (it doesn't), the battery would still only see ~43 kW, which has quite an impact on the price per kWh. They currently charge $23.73 per hour plus tax where I live. So even under perfect circumstances, you'd be paying more than $0.62 per usable kWh.

To be fair, the numbers look significantly better if you use CCS.

Of course the car will also heat the battery while DCFC charging at a SuC, but the loss is a lot lower (in percent) while charging at higher power.

Last edited:
I am grateful to have my WC3 at my parking spot (unmetered).

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 59
I am assuming Tesla pays industrial rates. Do we know that they didn't change? Residential rates in Ontario usually adjust twice per year - May and November. I am not so sure how industrial rates work.
Industrial rates include a "Demand Charge". That is a charge based on the highest peak demand used by a customer in a month. And electric vehicle charging has a high "demand".

Reactions: KevinT3141
Industrial rates include a "Demand Charge". That is a charge based on the highest peak demand used by a customer in a month. And electric vehicle charging has a high "demand".
So would this be based on the aggregate peak demand of all of Tesla usage across Ontario? Or would it be aggregated by particular utility, like Hydro One, Toronto Hydro, etc? Would that peak demand likely be on weekends or holidays when the grid has less demand from other industrial users? That is my guess, but I could be way off. I would think that highest demand at SCs is on long weekends like Labour Day.

So would this be based on the aggregate peak demand of all of Tesla usage across Ontario? Or would it be aggregated by particular utility, like Hydro One, Toronto Hydro, etc? Would that peak demand likely be on weekends or holidays when the grid has less demand from other industrial users? That is my guess, but I could be way off. I would think that highest demand at SCs is on long weekends like Labour Day.
Per meter/site.

Reactions: mrElbe
Looks like Tesla increased the SC rates in Ontario to 60 cents per KW.

In 2020 I could charge my SR+ for $6-$7. Now it's $25-$30 and keeps going up. Getting close to gas prices. Glad I don't travel much in Ontario.
I don’t supercharge a lot. I charge mostly at home, but I don’t recall ever seeing (even recently) a $25-$30 fee.
Are you comparing a $6-$7 fee at 5 year old pricing, starting at 50% charge to 80% charge; to prices today from 5% to 100% charge?