Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/45R20 Tires on the 20" Inductions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this thread a bit but need to put new tires on my Model Y and am stuck between these two:

CONTINENTAL CONTROL CONTACT SPORT SRS+ 255/45R20 105Y XL / Tred 560 Traction A Temp A

PIRELLI P ZERO AS PLUS ELECT 255/40R20 105Y XL / Tred 500 Traction AA Temp A

Leaning toward the Pirelli with that better traction rating since its probably going to start being really rainy here.
Go Contis DWS they are amazing for grip and performance and price. I run those on my MY and love them. 255/45/20 and 275/40/20 rear. Smooth ride. Grip and control.

Here are Michelin Pilot All Seasons 255/45 20R on M3P Uberturbines. I like the way they turned out. No rubbing even at full tilt. The ride is definitely more comfortable but they are new so no real data on how it has affected range. I am coming from 21" Uberturbines-> 19" Gemini -> 20" Uberturbines.

I'll update when I get more time with them

This looks really good! I have a spare set of M3P Uberturbines as well. I think I will have to copy this for our MSM Y.

Reactions: Chaucerino
So finally got the car back from the Service Center and went directly to Discount Tire to put on PIRELLI P ZERO AS PLUS ELECT 255/40R20 105Y XL. They did a great job and the Y is so much smoother now than the stock Goodyear that I had. Loving them!

This looks really good! I have a spare set of M3P Uberturbines as well. I think I will have to copy this for our MSM Y.
For the record you can go to 245 5020 but the car has oversteer and floats. I tried and then removed.

in my opinion the perfect set up is 255 4520 upfront Uber turbine off the model three ;

and 275 3521 rear off the model Y performance

the front eats up all the vibration & the rear improves traction and off the line performance

I’ve probably spent $6000 changing wheels/tires (Tire Rack hates me for all the exchanges I’ve done!) and this is definitely the best for aesthetic and ride comfort and performance.

The low profile in the rears don’t cause any vibration it’s the front low profiles that make the car too stiff and jittery. And if you go 255 4020 it’s still rather stiff I think the 45 profile is the perfect size where you don’t lose any performance and you eat up all the road vibration.

Reactions: Kanyetothe
So finally got the car back from the Service Center and went directly to Discount Tire to put on PIRELLI P ZERO AS PLUS ELECT 255/40R20 105Y XL. They did a great job and the Y is so much smoother now than the stock Goodyear that I had. Loving them!

How is your efficiency looking for the Induction wheels with the new Pirellis (Wh/mi)? I was doing research on Tirerack and it said the Pirelli weight was 31lbs per tire vs the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S) of 25lbs. Per the Discount Tire website, it said it was 27lbs per tire for the Pirellis.

For over 32k mi, I am getting about 274 Wh/mi with mostly highway driving on the OEM Goodyears.

This is the set up with higher255/45/20 tires in the front on 20s and the lower profile standard performance 275/35/21 Pirelli ‘s in the rear. You won’t get a better ride.

Attachments

• 98EABB0B-2504-4A42-BFE5-3C4EFA395A0F.jpeg
    98EABB0B-2504-4A42-BFE5-3C4EFA395A0F.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 590
Reactions: Chaucerino
How is your efficiency looking for the Induction wheels with the new Pirellis (Wh/mi)? I was doing research on Tirerack and it said the Pirelli weight was 31lbs per tire vs the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S) of 25lbs. Per the Discount Tire website, it said it was 27lbs per tire for the Pirellis.

For over 32k mi, I am getting about 274 Wh/mi with mostly highway driving on the OEM Goodyears.
I am getting 270wh/mi which is about what I got on the OEM Goodyears.

what happens to speedometer and ride quality if we mix different size tire between front and back, i.e. put 255/45/20 on the front (improving ride quality) and PSAS4 255/40/20, or winter tire 255/40/20 on the rear (OE size), how does the car calculate the speed when front and back have different size?

Last edited:
what happens to speedometer and ride quality if we mix different size tire between front and back, i.e. put 255/45/20 on the front (improving ride quality) and PSAS4 255/40/20, or winter tire 255/40/20 on the rear (OE size), how does the car calculate the speed when front and back have different size?
I believe the Tesla Model Y only relies on one of the four wheel ABS speed sensors for the speedometer reading. (Possibly the front passenger side sensor but perhaps someone has more information.)

Reactions: Teedub21
It’s based on the front wheels. The diameter of the tires can’t go over 28 inches. If it doesn’t match the 28 the speedo goes wrong in the direction of the incorrect sizing

I've been doing a lot of research on winter setup and this particular tire size.
Thanks to everyone who posted their info on this forum!
I'm in Japan and 255/45r20 is generally available and considerably cheaper than 255/40r20.

I went with M3P's Uberturbine and 255/45r20 Michelin x-ice snow SUV 105T for my winter setup on my MYP.
I'd like to share some photos. Hope it can be helpful to someone.

IMG_3389.jpeg
Front
IMG_3393.jpeg

Rear
IMG_3390.jpeg

Front
IMG_3392.jpeg

Rear
IMG_3391.jpeg

I've been doing a lot of research on winter setup and this particular tire size.
Thanks to everyone who posted their info on this forum!
I'm in Japan and 255/45r20 is generally available and considerably cheaper than 255/40r20.

I went with M3P's Uberturbine and 255/45r20 Michelin x-ice snow SUV 105T for my winter setup on my MYP.
I'd like to share some photos. Hope it can be helpful to someone.

View attachment 882354
Front
View attachment 882355

Rear
View attachment 882356

Front
View attachment 882357

Rear
View attachment 882358
Does the car feels bouncy with 45 mm thickness?

glad I found this post, after some research I am going to try Michelin Pilot Sport EV 255/45/20 from Ioniq5.
These tires have "GOE" mark similar to Tesla "T0". will report back when I have them fitted on my model y in 2 weeks time, wheels are M3P 20" uberturbine.

Not at all. I put 255/45/29 Pirelli scorpion on fronts and stock Pirelli 275/35/21 on rear. 255/50/20 will bounce. Don’t do 50 mm profile it loses the car.
And for anyone reading this thread I’ve owned the long range with the 19 inch wheels and continental tires and let me just say those tires are average at best; so it’s kind of unproductive to be “dressing up your car” with different wheel options and at the same time using those tires- which of course Tesla chose because it’s designed to be the economy version of the model Y- those tires do not compare to the Pirelli you can buy or that comes standard on the model Y performance. After about 300 miles I felt like I was walking on old shoes - completely average tires at best and ultimately below average as per ratings.

The stock MYP pirelli are best IMO better than Michelin and putting 20” Uberturbine on fronts softens the ride beyond 19” Contis.

Reactions: ConchChick
If this might be of any help, I managed to fit a set of Michelins PS4 SUV's 275/45R20 on a set of 20x9" M3 Zero G wheels, I also installed a Mountain Pass lift kit, before this I was running on same wheels but with Michelins PS4S 275/40R20, the gap between tire and fender was massive.
Net offsets at Front ET+37 and Rear ET+24

Reactions: morbidz and Daekwan