Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25k 2nd Year Service $750.. Wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... but it is required to maintain the GFV on a lease...

As Mark_T says, if you lease your Tesla, you usually have to perform the maintenances according to their schedule in order to get the guaranteed residual value at the end of the lease.
Of course, with the cost of the annual service now skyrocketing, it might be worth not paying the 3 or so grand over your lease period and taking a hit on the residual value.... Sad

Tesla labor is US $ 175 per hour.

The 2 year/25K mile maintenance should be several hours of work plus parts (desiccant bag replacement, brake fluid replacement, cabin air filter replacement, key FOB battery replacement, tire rotation (if needed), wiper replacement, plus the multi-point inspection).

The $750 includes labor, parts plus the "free" loaner.

Looks like for $750 I got 2 new wiper blades and replaced brake fluid.. Everything else was just items that were looked at and confirmed good. Seems like a bad deal.

You thought that is expensive, you will be in for a surprise on other things. I have to replace the chrome molding above the rear door on each side, 750 or so each. The windows regulator was 350-400. Still waiting on parts.

I've been having tesla doing the annual service On mine

You can do brake fluid and coolant flush on its own without the annual service. I think they are 200 each gives or take.

Tesla labor is US $ 175 per hour.

The 2 year/25K mile maintenance should be several hours of work plus parts (desiccant bag replacement, brake fluid replacement, cabin air filter replacement, key FOB battery replacement, tire rotation (if needed), wiper replacement, plus the multi-point inspection).

The $750 includes labor, parts plus the "free" loaner.

Are you suggesting those items take more than 1 hour or 2 tops?

Are you suggesting those items take more than 1 hour or 2 tops?
People don't value the multi-point inspection, and granted checking fluid levels, tire tread depth, brake pad thickness are just a few minutes each. But checking alignment takes the same amount of time, even if no adjustment is needed, as fixing alignment. Even the insurance company for the lady who hit my quarter panel acceded at least $100 just to check my alignment to make sure it didn't need fixing.

BMW used to mail fliers all the time for free multi-point inspections, which was the exact same checklist they used for CPO inspection - pretty thorough. But gosh, the amount of things that needed to be fixed both during and after the CPO extended warranty - the "free" inspections are odds-on moneymakers for them for sure.

I'd rather have $750 for the Tesla service, knowing that a) it's entirely opt-in for most folks, and b) spending the time to inspect to find there's mostly nothing wrong and expensive to fix should be a good thing, not a bad thing.

Legacy dealership types work their system. They often will entice owners in with a "free" inspection. They then try to find as much warranty work as possible that they can bill the manufacturer, as well as anything they might be able to get the owner to pay for.

Tesla is different. The service centers are not a profit center for the company. They check out the car as a service to the customer, without any fiancial gain for the company by doing unnecessary work.

They go through the safety check and determine if anything is out of spec. If they find it they will repair it at no additional cost to the owner.

When I took my X in for the Uncorking, they also found a couple items that they wanted to upgrade. They replaced something on the folding back seat, aligned the suspension to a later specification, added pressure to a couple tires, replaced a display screen with yellow bands, and washed the car. All at no cost to me.

I agree that their service package is priced too high, however the customer can always waive that service and just order some wiper blades and take their chances that everything is OK.

Does anyone know why the desiccant bag should be replaced? I've always assumed it was there to handle any contamination from when the AC system was charged with refrigerant. My reasoning - Since its sealed, no reason to mess with after that initial charge (unless other problems).

It soaks up moisture remaining in the system after you park. I would think with time it might get musty and be less active as well.

Its placed in the ductwork somewhere. Otherwise moisture remains in the system and mildew spores might grow on the surfaces of the AC.
My understanding is that it is in the refrigerant loop.

It's listed in the parts catalog as 1007717-00-A but doesn't show up in the diagram.

It soaks up moisture remaining in the system after you park. I would think with time it might get musty and be less active as well.

Its placed in the ductwork somewhere. Otherwise moisture remains in the system and mildew spores might grow on the surfaces of the AC.

In other words, I will probably never need to replace mine! It is so dry here in the Inland Empire at SoCal..... what moisture LOL?

My understanding is that it is in the refrigerant loop.

It's listed in the parts catalog as 1007717-00-A but doesn't show up in the diagra

I have seen pics only, it look like a tube sock full of something, Dessicant dryer perhaps. Although there are driers in AC loops to remove moisture from the freon in the loop.

I think its two differing things though. I do notice some plumbing items and seals also. Perhaps thats why they evacuate the AC to replace the desiccant bag? Either way its beyond this purchaser.

Thats worth $350 right there.

Wipers, cabin filter that can be hard to get to on newer models and replace brake fluid is complete replace and those little batteries in the keyfob, if not replaced might be a bad day on those days the app is down, oh yes you break the fob getting in your buying a new key fob. They break it, they just grab another and reprogram.

Brake fluid replace is much more work then one thinks:
Suck out what you have in the reservoir, replace with new and Bleed each caliper until fresh comes through with no air in the line. Top off reservoir. Two man operation with one man pumping the pedal and another bleeding. Then finish rotation if applicable, check alignment, realign etc the rest of the items.

Dessicant bag plus(lifted from the internet)
image.png

Beyond all of the second year, I have elected in my mind to skip 3rd year if I can. DO wipers etc myself.

Last edited:
I did not know that. So this is not a DIY item it sounds like. I thought it was just a trivial part replacement.
The actual replacement is definitely trivial - just takes a minute or two. Unfortunately it's in the refrigerant loop of the AC system so you need to get all of that pesky pressurized gas out of there before you start working on it. ;)

Does anyone know why the desiccant bag should be replaced? I've always assumed it was there to handle any contamination from when the AC system was charged with refrigerant. My reasoning - Since its sealed, no reason to mess with after that initial charge (unless other problems).
I agree, every 2 years seems like complete overkill. Most manufacturers recommend replacement "whenever the AC system is serviced", i.e. when you're already discharging it anyway. I understand over time the silica pellets actually break down and can become contaminants themselves - but I can't imagine that being a real concern after only 2 years.