Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25k 2nd Year Service $750.. Wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering how long the original poster had to wait to get their car in for this service? We read about people going in for warranty work and the car sits there for weeks before even being looked at, I wonder if you get bumped up the queue when you have to pay?
I had my Model S in at Dedham for the 50K service and the car sat there for a week, even though I was paying them $800 for the privilege of leaving it with them for the service.

So being a paying customer does not increase your priority in the queue.

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
People don't value the multi-point inspection, and granted checking fluid levels, tire tread depth, brake pad thickness are just a few minutes each. But checking alignment takes the same amount of time, even if no adjustment is needed, as fixing alignment. Even the insurance company for the lady who hit my quarter panel acceded at least $100 just to check my alignment to make sure it didn't need fixing.

BMW used to mail fliers all the time for free multi-point inspections, which was the exact same checklist they used for CPO inspection - pretty thorough. But gosh, the amount of things that needed to be fixed both during and after the CPO extended warranty - the "free" inspections are odds-on moneymakers for them for sure.

I'd rather have $750 for the Tesla service, knowing that a) it's entirely opt-in for most folks, and b) spending the time to inspect to find there's mostly nothing wrong and expensive to fix should be a good thing, not a bad thing.

Ah. The "multi-point inspection...." :rolleyes:

The lengths some people go to justify anything Tesla charges is fascinating. :p

So you feel the $750 Tesla service for one year is reasonable, huh?

What if I told you that the total service costs for the Audi E-Tron is only $999 for FIVE YEARS. Yes, that's right for $999 you can have the Audi E-Tron serviced for 5 whole years, multi-point inspections and all. I guess sort of like how it's supposed to cost less to maintain an EV.

And sure, service is not a profit center. :rolleyes: :p

Ah. The "multi-point inspection...." :rolleyes:

The lengths some people go to justify anything Tesla charges is fascinating. :p

So you feel the $750 Tesla service for one year is reasonable, huh?

What if I told you that the total service costs for the Audi E-Tron is only $999 for FIVE YEARS. Yes, that's right for $999 you can have the Audi E-Tron serviced for 5 whole years, multi-point inspections and all. I guess sort of like how it's supposed to cost less to maintain an EV.

And sure, service is not a profit center. :rolleyes: :p

There is a local dealer (I don't recall brand) that offers lifetime warranty on any car purchased at the dealer.

To maintain the lifetime warranty, must have all required & recommended service performed at the dealer. Including every oil change and replacement tires. They have the highest priced oil changes in the area :)

But yes, I agree charging for the multipoint inspection, esp at $750 is a rip off. I'm willing to pay fair price for brake fluid change & even AC evac, dissacant change, and recharge. I can do my own batteries and wiper blades.

For me, I did the annual service in accordance to the number of year I owned the vehicle and not by the mileage. Though I usually exceed the mileage by 10-15k. For example, I just did the 4th year service, but I am at 70k miles. I did the 3rd year service, at the time i was at 55k miles.

I changed tires once at 30k to Perelli. Only do rotation during the service.

Last time I was in for service they offered me the choice of either service agreement or Ala Carte prices.

If you do not feel the Service Agreement is too expensive, you can choose not to go that route.
I like the a la carte idea. My experience is to keep my cars away from the dealer/SC/ ranger as much as possible. Battery coolant, alignment if needed, but do everything else yourself.

For me, I did the annual service in accordance to the number of year I owned the vehicle and not by the mileage. Though I usually exceed the mileage by 10-15k. For example, I just did the 4th year service, but I am at 70k miles. I did the 3rd year service, at the time i was at 55k miles.

I changed tires once at 30k to Perelli. Only do rotation during the service.

I have always done a la carte with my services. At 2 years I have 67,800 miles. A mileage service plan makes no sense at all for me. Still I will just do Brake Fluid and the A/C services. No wipers, key fob battery's, rotation....none of the other things listed.

Warranties and "free maintenance" - are not free, they are baked into the price of the vehicles.

And we shouldn't be surprised for some of the new competing EVs to be sold at a loss by the other manufacturers as they try to compete against Tesla.

When we purchased the maintenance plan and extended warranties for the 2 S and 1 X we've purchased, the expense was viewed more like an insurance policy, to protect us from future maintenance price increases and repairs of expensive items during the extended warranty.

And like any insurance policy - some people will end up spending less by not buying the plans while others will spend more.

When I purchased my first Tesla, an S P85, I purchased the extended warranty and an 8 year maintenance plan (they now only offer 4 year plans). I had compared the lifetime cost of owning an S P85, vs the projected lifetime cost of owning a Lexus LS (using the actual ownership costs for my previous vehicle, which was an LS). Even though the S P85 would cost much more up front, if we kept the S P85 for around 100K miles (the mileage on the LS when we sold it), the Tesla would end up costing slightly less. We traded in our S P85 for an X 100D when it reached almost 100K miles, and the actual lifetime costs were in line with the projections.

And unlike our previous ICEs, we are doing fewer service visits than the more frequent oil change/lube jobs we had with the ICEs - and our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D haven't required as much service as our 2012 S P85.

Would we like to see the maintenance costs lower for our Tesla vehicles - sure - but are the charges unreasonable - at least for us, the answer is no.

I love it how service invoice always ticks off 1. Changed wiper blades (I know they didn't replace as I had marked both blades prior to service) 2. Changed batteries (even though I forgot to bring both of mine during service).

Reactions: P100D_Me
Service centers and not staffed and run by robots like the Factories. Where do they get their mechanics? From the rest of the auto repair industry. So, I expect the same level of quality of mechanic work I get on my ICE cars.

I can make no excuses for the parts problem however...

Where did that rumor come from? I've never seen anyone claim that. The fact is, EV's have greatly reduced maintenance schedules and brakes last a lot longer (almost indefinitely when driven normally).

So you accuse me of pulling the comment "EVs need no maintenance" from my ear and then basically go on to make that claim:D thank you.
Thank you specifically for the brakes claim, now I will save you a bunch of money and inform you the brakes need to be periodically dismantled and lubricated, otherwise they seize in the caliper stop floating and pretty soon you are buying pads and rotors even though "they hardly get used".

I own a 2014 P85 I bought with 65K miles in August of 2017 and put about 20k on it since. The service tech that came to replace the 12volt which needs replacement more often than ICE was the one that explained the brakes issue to me, but it was too late mine were shot. Had the car in for 4 year service based on mileage less than a year earlier, guess they didn't lube the calipers or I wouldn't have spent $700 on aftermarket brake parts.

I see a join date of three months ago and a pair of Model 3s. Do you have meaningful experience with EVs not reflected in those stats?

12volt life is shorter than ICE due to the heavy cycling and it is the most expensive 12volt I have ever bought. The new rotors were also the most expensive I have ever bought since they are big to deal with the weight/performance of the car.
Tesla recommends AC system service because it is battery protection

I see the new 12V for MS for 135. 2003 Prius is north of 180, for smaller capacity. Only lasted a year in the Pruis.

I think as far as brakes, it depends on the climate. Never had the brake problems mentioned here in Socal. Hardest driven car over 24 YO and 450k miles, only three pad slaps, all orig rotors, never turned, never lubed caliper bolts as they are protected by boots and grease is present.

Just now starting to get slight vibrations on braking at slow speeds..

Next time I rotate my tires on the Tesla, will have a good look see at the brakes. Thanks for the tip.

SC checked them last year per their records, but who knows what they really did.

Also, perhaps Brembos are more prone to problems than JDM brakes that I am familiar with.

Just passed 300K miles on my Prius with original 11 year old brake fluid. Why haven't I changed it? Because it still shows < 1% moisture and 0 ppm of copper. I've had cars where I needed to flush it every 3 or 4 years as the moisture built up but the Tesla was like the Prius at 50K. Now I still had it flushed because I did the 50K service to get the battery flush but it didn't need the brake fluid changed. This is why I skipped the 25K service altogether.

The 50K was the first and last service. I'm putting 50K miles per year on the car and the battery coolant doesn't have to be changed to maintain the unlimited mileage 8 year warranty.