Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#29 How to use Autopilot without touching the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol that will turn the car right?

No.

A "small" weight (< 1 lb) tricks AP into thinking that your hand is on the wheel. It actually takes quite a bit of force to override AP and take over steering.

Simple test: Try exerting a slight force on one side of the wheel (a finger on a spoke) to see this fool AP into thinking that your "hands are on the wheel". On mine, at least, there is no noticeable influence on steering.

No.

A "small" weight (< 1 lb) tricks AP into thinking that your hand is on the wheel. It actually takes quite a bit of force to override AP and take over steering.

Simple test: Try exerting a slight force on one side of the wheel (a finger on a spoke) to see this fool AP into thinking that your "hands are on the wheel". On mine, at least, there is no noticeable influence on steering.

Has anyone experimented with how much weight is required vs how much to override? I'd like to design an elegant solution for this and don't have the numbers.

Has anyone experimented with how much weight is required vs how much to override? I'd like to design an elegant solution for this and don't have the numbers.
upload_2017-5-1_6-30-13.jpeg

This is the "stupidest' thing I've seem on this forum!
Way to go people! You've just given Tesla the green light to completely remove the self steering feature altogether.
This will further infuriate AP 2 owners as their dream of a fully self driving car will be dashed.
Note the rock in the previous poster's photo will smash into the "dash' in a sudden stop!

Just don't do it!

This is the "stupidest' thing I've seem on this forum!
Way to go people! You've just given Tesla the green light to completely remove the self steering feature altogether.
This will further infuriate AP 2 owners as their dream of a fully self driving car will be dashed.
Note the rock in the previous poster's photo will smash into the "dash' in a sudden stop!

Just don't do it!

Good point about the rock! We should use a rubber ball or something...

Tesla won't care about that, on the contrary they will come up with some better safety feature... I mean com'on, how hard it is to come up with the idea of pressing the pedal when speed is reducing or add some weight...