Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

299km at 80%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Advertized 100% charge range is 386km. @80% that's 309km.

Depending on how you drive that 10km difference is not that significant. It's about 2.5% of the overall expected range.

If you are driving on the 40x highways at over 115 km/h that would totally account for it. As someone who drives on the 401, QEW etc. I rarely drive anywhere close to 100 km/h.

Have a look at your energy graph of the last 50km. That should give you some indication of how uniform and efficient you're managing to be.

The same would happen in an ICE, it would just not be as clearly documented.

Enjoy the car!

Advertized 100% charge range is 386km. @80% that's 309km.

Depending on how you drive that 10km difference is not that significant. It's about 2.5% of the overall expected range.

If you are driving on the 40x highways at over 115 km/h that would totally account for it. As someone who drives on the 401, QEW etc. I rarely drive anywhere close to 100 km/h.

Have a look at your energy graph of the last 50km. That should give you some indication of how uniform and efficient you're managing to be.

The same would happen in an ICE, it would just not be as clearly documented.

Enjoy the car!
Most of the drive is on 401 at autopilot set at 110. My avg energy while going is 120kw h and returning is 100kw h.

I did myself an ENORMOUS personal favour. I changed my battery graphic from ‘DISTANCE’ to ‘ENERGY’.

The result? Just like a gas gauge of the past. Now 50% is always 50%. 80% is always 80%. Trip energy graph keeps me informed of the rest.

Completely eliminated any worry over absolutely normal and expected, minor battery degradation. Try it for a few days.

970C6785-3BDC-4D0D-A565-940239B3CC44.jpeg

Isnt that what degradarion is (less km at the same levwl)? If i dont stop anywhere my battery is ar 42%. Just that when i charge it back to 80% the range shows 299 instead of 310
I actually had same doubt two years ago, asked SC, research on Internet, but no one has a solid answer to it because Tesla do not provide a way to check health of battery for customer, which I think they should...

So, change display to "Energy" was recommended ...

Expect 1% loss per 10,000kms up to 5% and it'll settle there for a while. Don't worry too much about it. It won't affect your daily commute nor will you ever drain it to zero unless you're running from a natural disaster (knock on wood). To maximize the battery a little, charge to 70% daily in the warmer months and 80% in the winter. Never let it go below 20% (cycle between 20% and your max charge per season = best practice). Range charge to 90% once or twice a month to keep cells balanced.

Avoid discharging below 10% if you can. Tesla's trip planner does this for you most of the time. But sometimes you just have to use the last 10% to get somewhere. It degrades the battery a little, just don't do it every day.

Note: I nursed the battery for a bit at the start of ownership... Once winter hit, I charged to 90% all the time and kept that setting well into summer months when I wasn't able to plug in every night. Use the car as you need it. The battery tech is amazing compared to the other EVs on the market.

upload_2019-9-30_9-28-40.png

Last edited:
Someone mentioned something like this before that they saw this and when they charged to 100% one-time it recalibrated the battery.

I'm on the same boat. Battery is at 300 on 80% charge. Thinking of charging it to 100% for the first time to see if it does recalibrate. But generally you will hear different things from different people and just need to try it out..

Edit: someone once said though if your kw/h didn't change too much then means the battery didn't change much.. I thought that made sense. Not a battery expert here.

Its down to 297 now and the car tuned 1 month old today.

The battery degradation sounds high to me (with a car that's a month old) May i ask what type of charger you usually use to charge your car (Level 1/2/3 chademo or supercharger) as well as your car's odometer reading?

I have my SR+ since March and now its odometer is at 6440km. Tonight's i charged my car to 76% and it shows 292km. According to Teslafi my car's 100% will be at 386km

Attachments

• Teslafi.JPG
    Teslafi.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 48